The Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT) has an exciting opportunity for an experienced mechanic who wants to utilize their skills to work on a variety of motor vehicles and highway maintenance equipment for our Corson TEF shop.
We are looking for a mechanic to perform preventative maintenance, inspection, and other services on all inventoried equipment including passenger vehicles, dump trucks, heavy equipment, and a variety of highway maintenance equipment. This position is critical in ensuring that equipment is ready to roll to keep our highways free of hazards and open to the traveling public year-round. If you are a reliable, safety-minded mechanic, then we have an exciting opportunity for you!
At WSDOT, we value the importance of creating an environment in which all employees feel respected, included, and empowered to bring unique ideas to the agency. Our diversity and inclusion efforts include embracing different cultures, backgrounds, and perspectives while fostering growth and advancement in the workplace. To learn more, please watch the following video: Why WSDOT?
This position will perform the following work:
- Perform preventative maintenance, inspection, and correction of major and minor repairs on all WSDOT equipment, including all types of light and heavy equipment used in highway maintenance and construction.
- Troubleshoot, overhaul, and repair gas and diesel engines, transmissions, electrical & electronic systems, brakes, hydraulic systems, suspensions, steering and fuel systems.
- Repair and maintain steering and suspension systems; diagnoses and repairs hydraulic and air brake systems including anti-lock brake systems; designs, diagnoses, repairs, and installs hydraulic systems.
- Detect and repair safety items on equipment to reduce field down time and extend service for life of equipment used by WSDOT.
- Safely operate welders, drill press, grinder, press, hoist, air tools, jacks and other shop equipment.
- Fabricate, weld, and install additional equipment to vehicles.
- Maneuver in, on, around and under various pieces of equipment for the purpose of servicing, diagnostic testing, and repairing in an efficient manner.
- Keep shop safe, clean, and orderly.
- Oversee work, share knowledge and mentor Equipment - Technician 3 In-training personnel.
- Abide by all safety policies and procedures.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required qualifications include:
- Three (3) years of experience in the performance of preventative maintenance and repairs assisting a journey-level mechanic
- Journey-level standing as a heavy equipment mechanic as demonstrated by completion of a recognized apprenticeship or by journey level standing as recognized by a labor union.
One (1) year of experience as a journey-level mechanic maintaining and repairing heavy-duty equipment.
In addition to the above qualifications, candidates are also required to have:
- A valid Driver's License and the ability to obtain a Washington State Commercial Driver's (CDL), Class A within 6 months of hire.
- High School Diploma or GED equivalent.
- Computer skills with the ability to operate Microsoft Office Suite and our Fleet Equipment Management system (Asset Works M5).
- Ability to communicate verbally and in the written form.
- Experience reading and understanding equipment manuals, blueprints, diagrams, and technical drawings.
- Ability to lift and transport up to 50 pounds.
- Experience operating computerized diagnostic testing equipment, welders, drill presses, hoists, air tools, and jacks.
How to Apply:
Applications for this recruitment will be accepted electronically. Please click on the large "apply" button at the top of this announcement. If you have not done so previously, you will need to set up an account profile.
To be considered for this position you will need to:
Answer the supplemental questions.
Attach a cover letter and resume (preferred).
Condition of Employment:
The Department of Transportation is committed to an alcohol and drug free workplace. These positions are subject to the drug and alcohol testing requirements of the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMSCA). For more information, please go to: DOT Drug & Alcohol Testing.
For inquiries about this position, please contact Josefina Mutascu at email@example.com. Please reference recruitment number 19DOT-NWR-10826.
WSDOT is an equal opportunity employer. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons of disability, persons over 40 years of age, disabled and Vietnam era veterans, and people of all sexual orientations and gender identities are encouraged to apply. Persons with disabilities needing assistance in the application process, or those needing this job announcement in an alternative format may contact the listed recruiter. WSDOT does not use the E-Verify system. For more information, please visit https://www.uscis.gov/.
Location: Seattle, WA
Application Method: Online
Base Pay: $58,920 - $68,352 YR