Employer: Perry Technical Institute
SUBSTITUTE FIELD INSTRUCTOR:
ELECTRICAL TECHNOLOGY PROGRAM
This is a temporary position with varying hours in the Electrical Technology program. This position will report to the Dean of Education.
The position is responsible for oversight and teaching of student groups during the field training section of the program. The position will also be responsible for covering classroom teaching as needed.
Duties are performed in a classroom, lab and field. Working effectively and collaboratively in a team environment is a must. Working conditions will often match industry as follows:
Electricians work indoors and outdoors, in homes, businesses, factories, and construction sites. On the jobsite, they occasionally work in cramped spaces, and constant standing and kneeling can be tiring. Those who work in factories are often subject to noisy machinery. As a result, hearing protection must be worn to protect workers from excess noise. Although few accidents are potentially fatal, common injuries include electrical shocks, falls, burns, and other minor injuries. Workers must therefore wear protective clothing and safety glasses to reduce these risks.
Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2014-15 Edition, Electricians, on the Internet at http://www.bls.gov/ooh/construction-and-extraction/electricians.htm (visited September 12, 2015).
This is a non-exempt, temporary position.
- Must have three (3) years of related practical work experience in the subject area(s) taught, as required by all faculty teaching technical and occupationally related courses in non-degree program.
- The Field Instructor must have four (4) years of experience in new construction as an Industrial Electrician.
- Ability to communicate effectively and to interface with business and professional constituents.
- General journeyman electrician certification - Must qualify to work in ALL types (specialties) of electrical work.
- Will on occasion be required to drive on behalf of Perry Technical Institute. Employee must possess a working vehicle, hold a valid driver’s license, have an acceptable driving record, and produce proof of insurance.
- Must be willing to consent to a drug test.
- Certificate of completion from an accredited career school in the subject area(s) taught or associate’s degree.
- Previous teaching experience.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Ability to integrate industry scenarios and role playing into instruction.
- Ability to contribute to curriculum development.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Responsible for teaching groups of students during their field experience
- Teach primarily in a field environment but will at times teach in a hands-on lecture and lab environment.
- Utilization of effective communication skills when teaching and overseeing students in hands on training.
- Utilization of strong construction electrical skills including: Conduit sizing/bending EMT and rigid, above and underground installations, circuit tracing, conduit/box fill, and wire sizing.
- Recognize and acquire necessary materials for specific jobs.
- May work on aerial platforms, boom and bucket lifts.
- Must be able to demonstrate and apply NEC knowledge.
- Will be safety conscious in all aspects of the trade.
- Participate in course and program development.
- Remain current in industry through continued education.
- Interact with other departments in pursuing the institution’s goals and objectives, including Admissions and Career Services.
- Complete and maintain an ongoing professional growth plan.
- Attend and complete new instructor orientation and training.
- Perform/organize routine vehicle maintenance to work trucks.
- Maintain an organized work truck with an inventory of tools and standardized stock of parts/materials.
- Record detailed time sheets with duties performed and time spent on job.
- Assist Electrical Administrator with organization of electrical jobs.
- Responsible for recording student attendance and productivity.
- Create curriculum to enhance on-the-job learning.
- Other duties as assigned.
Location: Yakima, WA
Application Method: Online
Base Pay: DOQ