Employer: City of Toppenish
To Apply Visit: www.cityoftoppenish.us
- Under the direction of the Public Works Superintendent, the WWTP Operator is responsible for conducting the operation and maintenance activities within the general areas of wastewater treatment plant, sewer collection system, sewer lift stations and other public facilities as needed.
- Essential Functions/Major Responsibilities:
Monitor, test, adjust and maintain the wastewater treatment plant in working order.
- Make periodic rounds to check the general operations of the plant; unplug and clean pumps; remove debris; check operation of pumps.
- Take and record plant operation readings according to prescribed schedules.
- Collect samples for lab analysis; perform lab analysis as required.
- Perform wash down of chambers and clarifiers regular schedule.
- Maintain and operate lift stations and wells.
- Maintain daily logs; report unsafe conditions; record plant operating data as required.
- Provide yard maintenance in watering, mowing and weeding grounds.
- Maintain building in clean and sanitary condition; wash floors and walls; perform light maintenance.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
Specific Job Skills:
- Laws, regulations, policies and procedures applicable to assigned tasks.
Physics and chemistry related to pumping and chemical tests.
- Wastewater treatment plant instrumentation.
- Mechanical and piping systems including valves, line-ups, gauges and meters.
- Mathematics and chemistry relating to wastewater treatment.
- Methods and precautions in storing and handling chlorine and other industrial chemicals.
- Self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA) maintenance and use.
- Record-keeping techniques.
- Operation of a computer terminal and data entry techniques.
- Health and safety regulations.
- Technical aspects of field of specialty.
- Requirements of maintaining wastewater treatment plant and related facilities in safe and proper working conditions.
- Operate and maintain the Wastewater Treatment Plant and assure Plant processes are in compliance with local, State and federal discharge limits and the NPDES Permit.
- Protect the health and safety of personnel, the public, and the environment.
- Operate a variety of hand tools, machinery, vehicles and equipment
- Communicate technical information clearly and concisely both orally and in writing.
- Maintain accurate log readings and operating information.
- Recognize and respond quickly to operational information.
- Perform plant maintenance and housekeeping work.
- Interpret, analyze and apply new technical information.
- Perform moderately, strenuous physical tasks.
- Read blueprints regarding piping.
- Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others.
Work independently with little direction.
- Determine appropriate action within clearly defined guidelines.
- Observe health and safety regulations.
- Maintain records and prepare reports.
- Work courteously and tactfully with customers and employees.
Education and/or Experience:
Any combination equivalent to: graduation from high school supplemented by course work in wastewater subjects
Licenses and Other Requirements.
Valid state driver’s license. Possess or ability to obtain a valid State Class B Commercial Driver’s License within six months. Valid State Department of Ecology Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator – Group 1 Certificate of Competency.
Outdoor work environment; subject to driving to conduct work; subject to adverse and extreme weather conditions.
Climbing ladders; standing for extended periods of time; walking to perform weed control; lifting and carrying heavy object; pulling hoists; kneeling; crouching; bending; dexterity of hands and fingers to operate hand and power tools.
Exposure to chlorine and methane gas, sewage; sewage vapors; working around and with machinery having moving parts; working at heights on ladders and structures.
Equal Opportunity Employer. Woman and minorities are encouraged to apply.
Contact Person: Liliana Torres
Location: Toppenish, WA
Application Method: Application
Base Pay: $3,411-$4,272