Employer: Canyon County
General Statement of Duties:
The Computer Network Technician performs a variety of technical duties related to the installation, maintenance and support of the County computers, telephony, print devices, network connectivity, and equipment; performs related work as required.
The principal function of this position is to provide computer support for PC hardware and software applications, including; installing; maintaining and upgrading PC hardware; utilizing desktop imaging software; analyzing and diagnosing problems and conducting special projects. Reports to the Operations Manager as daily work is performed under the general supervision of the Lead Technical Lead, but is generally self-directed. The principal duties of the position are performed in a general office environment, although travel to various departments is often required to install and repair computer systems.
Examples of Work (Illustrative Only)
- Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Troubleshoots and repairs hardware and/or software problems;
- Installation of user equipment which may include personal computer, printer, scanner, copier, peripherals and related equipment;
- Establishes network connectivity and computer based profiles for users
- Installs, maintains and upgrades system hardware and software;
- Use of computer imaging software for deployment
- Researches and recommends system upgrades and equipment;
- Comply with Canyon County Information Technology Policies and Procedures;
- Assists in security and anti-virus systems operation and maintenance;
- Upgrades and supports software related problems;
- Monitors and maintains equipment and supply inventories;
- Operates help-desk to respond to user issues and questions, including answering telephones and e-mail questions;
- Provides general assistance to users in the operation and understanding of general office computer programs;
- Maintains a knowledge base of past issues and proven solutions;
- Escalates service requests to the County System - - Administrators, Programmers and other IT personnel as needed;
- Performs all work duties and activities in accordance with - County policies, procedures and safety practices.
Other Duties and Responsibilities:
- All Technology Support Technicians rotate on-call support duty for after hours, night and weekend essential support; rotation includes one week per month for after hour coverage.
- Performs other related duties as required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Strong customer service orientation;
- Computer security methods and procedures;
- Personal computer installation, operation and maintenance;
- Information system and networking practices and principles;
- Printer operation and maintenance;
- PC hardware, software and specialized applications;
- Network protocols and interface systems;
- Diagnostic methods for computer hardware and software.
- Work cooperatively and constructively with fellow workers and members of the public to provide public service of the highest quality and quantity;
- Analyze operating problems of hardware and software and develop effective solutions;
- Instruct end-users on software applications and computer systems;
- Maintain and upgrade computer systems;
- Maintain a professional demeanor during stressful situations;
- Compile reports from a wide variety of sources and transmit data;
- Understand and follow oral and/or written policies, procedures and instructions;
- Comprehend technical and user manuals, diagrams and instructions;
- Operate standard office equipment, including a personal computer using program applications appropriate to assigned duties;
- Be highly self-motivated and directed and pay keen attention to detail;
- Understand and carry out instructions and maintain a courteous, professional, and effective working relationship with users and co-workers.
Acceptable Experience and Training:
- High School diploma or GED equivalent is required;
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience performing computer related help-desk work
- An A+ or Microsoft Certified Professional Certification is preferred; OR
- Any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the knowledge and abilities necessary to perform the work;
- Candidates who display exceptional customer skills, communications and teamwork abilities, along with rapid learning, flexibility, and adaptability may be preferred over those with greater experience, but lacking those demonstrable skills.
- Must possess a valid Driver’s License;
- Must successfully complete a background check through the - National Crime Information Center (NCIC).
Essential Physical Abilities
- Sufficient visual acuity, with or without reasonable accommodation, which permits the employee to comprehend written work instructions, comprehend and prepare written technical reports and diagrams.
- Sufficient clarity of speech and hearing, with or without reasonable accommodation, which permits the employee to discern verbal instructions and to communicate effectively in person and by telephone;
- Sufficient manual dexterity, with or without reasonable accommodation, which permits the employee to operate and make adjustments to computers, tools and equipment.
- Sufficient body mobility, flexibility, agility and strength to work in an office environment, perform duties that may require bending, stooping, kneeling, crouching, reaching and to occasionally move or lift up to 50 pounds.
Canyon County is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions related to recruitment and selection are made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $38,000.00 to $45,000.00 /year
Paid time off
Healthcare spending or reimbursement accounts such as HSAs or FSAs
Retirement benefits or accounts
Location: Caldwell, ID
Application Method: Online
Base Pay: 38,000 to $45,000 YR