Employer: Central Washington University
Working under general direction, the incumbent independently develops installs, troubleshoots, modifies, and maintains telecommunications systems. Incumbent provides project leadership and coordination necessary to resolve moderately sized projects. As part of the Networks and Operations team, the incumbent provides input regarding vendor-proposed hardware and software additions and changes in support of university systems and construction or renovation projects.
- Works as part of a team to support enterprise telecommunication systems. Understands and applies support principles related to incident, change, and service management.
- Working independently or in teams, designs, implements, monitors, secures, maintains, and integrates media, network and/or telephony systems to ensure optimal performance, reliability and recovery. Ensures stability, capacity, and functionality to meet business needs.
- Performs customization, system administration, and break/fix support for media, network and/or telephony infrastructure.
- Supports service desk through staff training, workflow documentation and the development and maintenance of a robust knowledge base.
- Provides project leadership/management and documentation for medium-scale projects involving telecommunication systems, cabling or applications.
- Corrects problems by analyzing systems to determine the cause and effects of a malfunction. Changes systems to prevent recurrence and to eliminate the effects of problems.
- Provides system management for assigned applications and/or systems, such as VoIP telephony, IP routing/switching, A/V room control systems or software packages.
- Analyzes client functions, goals, methods and network infrastructure needs in accordance with recognized principles of systems analysis in order to assist with and/or design, implement, and maintain appropriate telecommunications systems.
- Provides individual and group instruction on the use of equipment, software, process, and/or system features.
- Modifies existing systems as needed, and consults with client department to ensure that all changes have been properly made with no unanticipated or undesirable side effects.
- Complete required and provided departmental training.
- Annually complete a minimum of 40 hours training or education on current or emerging technology through trade magazines, manuals, seminars and courses.
- Other duties as assigned
•Experience with high-volume, mission-critical telecommunication applications, networks and systems.
•BA/BS from an accredited four year college or university with major course work in business operations/management information systems, computer science or related field with a minimum of five (4) years of work experience.
•Works independently on tasks and monitors progress against defined parameters.
•Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
•Strong communication and organizational skills.
•OR any combination of education and experience which clearly demonstrates the ability to accomplish the essential functions of the job.
•Experience with the configuration and administration of enterprise networking and/or telephony and/or media technology building blocks, including: routers, switches, firewalls, load balancers, PBXs, VoIP/SIP handsets/controllers, voice mail systems, integrated room A/V control systems, and/or A/V production tools.
•Experience with structured cabling systems, including: inside/outside plant copper and fiber.
•Technical expertise with UNIX/LINUX and/or Windows Server/AD operating systems.
•Experience creating schematic diagrams to describe networks, systems and processes.
•Advanced scripting or other automation skills highly desired.
•Experience in Higher Education environment.
•Accountability/Dependability: Accepts responsibility for quality of own work; acknowledges and corrects mistakes. Shows up on time, meets standards, deadlines and work schedules.
•Judgement: Makes timely, informed decisions. Analyzes options and determines appropriate course of action.
•Teamwork: Promotes cooperation and mutual support to achieve goals. Encourages participation and mutual support.
•Adaptability/Flexibility: Responds positively to changing business needs and responsibilities. Adapts approach and methods to achieve results; recovers quickly from setbacks and finds alternatives.
•Commitment to Diversity: Recognizes the value of diversity and helps create environment that supports and embraces diversity.
Pay, Benefits, & Work Schedule
Salary: $4399/month with periodic increases up to $5770/month
Schedule/Appointment: Monday - Friday, 8:00am-5:00pm (1 hour lunch)
Working Conditions: Work is performed in a standard office environment and field locations such as communications rooms and other areas where infrastructure is installed and maintained (including climate controlled data centers with exposure to moderate noise levels). Work involves operation of personal computing and electronic diagnostic/test equipment up to 8 hours daily. Duties may also involve stooping, crawling, work on ladders and lifting of up to 40 lbs. Occasional travel to various worksites may also be required, depending on assignment. Occasional evening and weekend work may be required.
Benefits: CWU offers a comprehensive benefits package including medical and dental insurance, retirement and optional savings plans, life and disability insurance, along with vacation and sick leave plans depending on employment classification. For additional information please visit: http://www.cwu.edu/hr/benefits-0
How To Apply
To apply for this position, you must complete the on-line application and attach:
•A detailed cover letter clearly demonstrating how your education and experience: (a) meet the required (and, as applicable, preferred) qualifications, and (b) demonstrate the ability to perform the responsibilities as described by the posting;
•Resume including work history, education, training; and
•Contact information for three professional references.
Screening Begins: December 6, 2017 and will continue until the position is filled
**Priority will be given to applications received by the screening date. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Name: David Hart
Title: Senior Network Engineer
Phone: (509) 963-2932
Website: Information Services
Please contact Human Resources at email@example.com or 509-963-1202 if you require technical assistance with the on-line application process.
Conditions of Employment:
Prior to employment, final candidate(s) will be required to submit to a background check. All information obtained through background investigations will be strictly confidential and revealed only to those required to have access.
Location: Ellensburg, WA
Application Method: How To Apply To apply for this position, you must complete the on-line application and attach: •A detailed cover letter clearly demonstrating how your education and experience: (a) meet the required (and, as applicable, preferred) qualifications, and (b) demonstrate the ability to perform the responsibilities as described by the posting; •Resume including work history, education, training; and •Contact information for three professional references. Screening Begins: December 6, 2017 and will continue until the position is filled
Base Pay: DOQ