Employer: Yakima Basin Fish and Wildlife
The Yakima Basin Fish & Wildlife Recovery Board is looking for a part-time Operations Manager
to perform a wide range of functions in a dynamic small office setting. The Operations Manager
will work under the general direction of the Executive Director to manage the organization’s
finances, contracts, office space and computer system, organize meetings and events,
implement Board policies, and participate in outreach efforts and other YBFWRB programs. The
Operations Manager must be able to produce high-quality work with only limited supervision.
This is a rewarding opportunity to be a part of a locally-based organization that promotes fish
and wildlife restoration in the Yakima Basin. For more about the Board, see HUwww.ybfwrb.org
Financial Management (30% of time):
The Operations Manager will:
• Manage payables, prepare checks, and make deposits;
• Ensure all digital and hard copy financial records are properly kept;
• Prepare financial reports for the Executive Director and Board;
• Prepare reports and billing packets for grant and contract expenditures;
• Ensure timely completion of payroll, liability payments, and tax reporting;
• Coordinate any audits and other outside reviews;
• Work with outside bookkeeper and accountant as required to complete above.
Operational Functions (estimate 30% time):
• Work with Executive Director to ensure that the organization meets legal requirements
and Board and funder’s policies;
• Schedule, organize, assist facilitating & prepare minutes for meetings of the Board,
committees and work groups;
• Maintain communications with Board members and other constituents;
• Prepare well-written, graphically appealing written materials for the Board;
• Prepare and manage office-support contracts (computer support, accounting,, etc);
• Work with other staff to develop and implement contracts, MOAs and
• Research funding opportunities and prepare grant applications;
• Manage Board databases and complete data entry tasks.
Outreach Functions (estimate 20% time):
• Maintain/update website content and coordinate web support;
• Write and edit reports, mailings, meeting packets, e-mail updates, newsletters,
presentations & other outreach materials;
• Support outreach efforts by program staff;
• Organize and participate in outreach events (public meetings, tours, etc.);
• Track media coverage and maintain media contacts;
• Maintain a resource library (of both hard copy and digital files).
Administrative Functions (estimate 10% time):
• Maintain a productive and welcoming office environment for the Board, including basic
maintenance of the office space, files, procurement of office supplies and equipment;
• Complete basic maintenance of office computer network (updates, backups, etc.) and
coordinate outside technical support;
• Organize and maintain the organization’s contact lists, correspondence and digital and
hard copy filing system.
Other Tasks (estimate up to 10% time):
• Complete other tasks as assigned.
• Ability to take a lead role in managing the finances of a small organization;
• Experience completing detail-oriented work both individually and as part of a team;
• Strong written and oral communication abilities;
• Ability to work with public, staff and others in a professional manner;
• Experience working independently, self-initiating duties, prioritizing assigned tasks and
making substantive decisions;
• Experience using common office software (e.g. full suite of Microsoft Office Programs);
• College degree or significant prior experience in an administrative/managerial setting;
• Discretion and ability to respect confidentiality;
• Ability to work a flexible schedule with occasional travel and evening/weekend events.
• Experience with QuickBooks accounting software;
• Desktop publishing, GIS, web editing and/or graphic design skills;
• Familiarity with maintaining a small office computer network;
• Experience in environmental or natural resource field.
The Operations Manager will travel regularly within the Yakima Basin and to occasional
meetings throughout the state. A valid Washington State Driver’s License and ability to provide
your own vehicle are required. Travel will be reimbursed at the State-approved rate.
Physical Requirements and Working Conditions
The Operations Manager must possess 1) mobility to work in a standard office setting and to
use standard office equipment, including a computer, and to attend meetings (some in the
evening) at various sites, 2) strength to lift and carry materials weighing up to 20 pounds; 3)
vision to read printed materials and a computer screen; and 4) hearing and speech to
communicate in person and over the telephone.
The Operations Manager will be paid between $15 and $25/hr. depending on experience and
qualifications. Benefits include health insurance, retirement plan and paid leave. This is a 20-hr
per week position based in Yakima; schedule to be negotiated with the successful applicant.
Opportunities for additional hours and expansion of duties may be available depending on the
status of Board budgets and the skill set of the applicant.
Position open until filled; first review of applications to occur on January 5, 2018. To apply,
submit a cover letter, resume, a recent writing sample* and the name, address, phone number
and email for three references familiar with your professional abilities. Send applications to:
Yakima Basin Fish & Wildlife Recovery Board
1200 Chesterly Drive, Suite 280
Yakima, WA 98902
Or submit via email to email@example.com
*The writing sample should be a professional or academic document written within the last 5
years of which you are the primary author. It should display your writing skills and style. A
length of 2 to 10 pages is appropriate. You are not being asked for a handwriting sample.
Location: Yakima, WA
Application Method: To apply, submit a cover letter, resume, a recent writing sample* and the name, address, phone number and email for three references familiar with your professional abilities. Send applications to: Yakima Basin Fish & Wildlife Recovery Board 1200 Chesterly Drive, Suite 280 Yakima, WA 98902 Or submit via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Base Pay: DOQ