Highway Maintenance Worker 2 | Coupville, WA
Salary: $47,844.00 - $58,260.00 Annually
Location: Island County – Other, WA
Job Type: Full Time - Permanent
Department: Dept. of Transportation
Job Number: 21DOT-NWR-10547
Closing: 8/29/2021 11:59 PM Pacific
Highway Maintenance Worker 2 | Coupville, WA description imageAbout WSDOT
Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT) is the steward of an integrated, multimodal transportation system that helps to ensure people and goods move safely and efficiently throughout the state. In addition to building, maintaining, and operating the state highway system, WSDOT operates the largest ferry system in the nation, manages the world's longest floating bridge, and recently completed the world's widest tunneling project.
WSDOT is looking for career-minded individuals to join our maintenance team in Coupville, WA to help keeps highways safe. This opportunity is perfect for someone who loves working outdoors, performing manual labor, and operating a variety of equipment to complete tasks. As part of our maintenance team, you will assist with repairing and rebuilding of state highways, and adjacent right of ways to assure they remain in a condition that promotes the movement of traffic, and safety to the motoring public. We encourage you to apply if you are dependable and looking for a career with growth potential!
Working in the maintenance area will require responsible, safety-minded individuals. These positions require a quick response time to job sites. Highway maintenance crews are ready 24 hours a day, seven days a week. By taking on this role, you are serving a key and vital function to the State of Washington.
What to Expect
Among the varied range of responsibilities held within this role, the Highway Maintenance Worker 2 will:
- Operates class A, B or class C equipment for maintenance operations.
- Maintain roadways including pavement repair, drainage maintenance.
- Repair and replace guardrails and signs.
- Remove dangerous and hazardous debris from the roadways.
- Assist in layout and set-up of traffic control, including setting up signage, manually flagging traffic, and operating attenuator/buffer truck.
- Removal of snow and ice during winter season.
- To be considered for this opportunity, the following are required:
- Washington State Commercial Driver License (CDL), Class A with endorsement N without air brakes restrictions and manual transmission operation endorsement.
- High school diploma or GED certification.
- Basic computer skills to communicate and retrieve information.
- Ability to operate Class A, B, and C equipment with current technology in highway maintenance operations.
- Ability to respond to emergency call outs, work different and/or extended shifts on short notice (days, nights and weekends), and perform standby duty.
- Ability to lift and transport 50 pounds or more with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Ability to work in various weather conditions at heights up to 25 feet over land or water while performing maintenance functions.
- Communicate effectively with diverse groups utilizing verbal, written, and electronic communication methods.
It is preferred that qualified candidates also have:
- Washington State Flagger Card.
- Washington State Pesticide Applicator’s License.
- Backflow Prevention Tester Certification.
This position is subject to the drug and alcohol testing requirements of the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMSCA). For more information, please go to DOT Drug & Alcohol Testing.
- Work-Life Balance – We are committed to ensure that our staff experience the reward of public service, while also sustaining a routine that suits each individuals’ lifestyle.
- Paid Leave – In addition to 11 paid holidays, full-time employees earn a minimum 14 paid vacation days per year!
- Plan For Your Future – WSDOT offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes a variety of healthcare options. Employees also have their choice of state retirement programs, and much more. Go to State Benefits for more information.
Check out this video to learn more: Why WSDOT?
How to Apply:
- Applications for this recruitment will be accepted electronically. Your relevant experience may be evaluated to determine salary. Therefore, it is very important that the “Work Experience” portion of the application be completed in as much detail as possible.
- In order to be considered for this opportunity, please include the following with your online application:
- An attached Resume outlining (in reverse chronological order) your experience to date.
- An attached Cover Letter that further explains your qualifications, and indicates why you believe you are a viable candidate for this role.
- Contact details for a minimum three (3) individuals who can attest to your work performance, technical skills, and job-related competencies. This information can be entered in the “References” section of the online application; does not require an additional attachment.
Please click the "APPLY" button to proceed. Note that you will be prompted to either sign in, or create an account. This step is required in order to submit an application to this opportunity.
WSDOT is an equal opportunity employer. We value the importance of creating an environment in which all employees can feel respected, included and empowered to bring unique ideas to the agency. Our diversity and inclusion efforts include embracing different cultures, backgrounds and viewpoints while fostering growth and advancement in the workplace. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons of disability, persons over 40 years of age, disabled and Vietnam era veterans, as well as people of all sexual orientations and gender identities are encouraged to apply. Persons with disabilities needing assistance in the application process, or those needing this job announcement in an alternative format may contact the listed Recruiter.
WSDOT does not use the E-Verify system. For more information, please visit www.uscis.gov
For inquiries about this posting, you may contact the assigned Recruiter, Cori Shull at ShullCo@wsdot.wa.gov Please be sure to reference 21DOT-NWR-10547 in the subject line.
Location: Coupville, WA
Application Method: Online: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/washington/wsdot/jobs/3103372/maintenance-worker-2?keywords=10547&pagetype=jobOpportunitiesJobs
Base Pay: $47,844 - $58,260 YR