Employer: Puget Sound Energy
Gas Worker Trainee
Date: Aug 3, 2021
Job ID: 1873
Location: Seattle, WA, US, 98108
Puget Sound Energy is looking to grow our community with top talented individuals like you! With our rapidly growing, award winning energy efficiency programs, our pathway to an exciting and innovative future is now.
PSE's Gas Operations team is looking for qualified candidates to fill an open Gas Worker Trainee position!
Puget Sound Energy is now hiring for an entry level position. As a “Gas Worker Trainee” you would be joining a team of professionals that place Safety and Customer service as job #1. You will be trained to work in a team environment that includes the operation and maintenance of a natural gas system. This is an entry level position where no prior gas knowledge is required - you will be taught all facets of the gas industry required for this position, including emergency operation procedures, safe operation and repair of gas equipment, and the daily operations of a natural gas distribution system.
PSE offers competitive wages and benefit packages for all employees. In Gas Operations, employees are represented by the UA Plumbers & Pipe Fitters Union and operate under the agreed to Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA).
See the attached video to learn more about employment with PSE’s Gas Operations organization: Gas Operations at PSE
- Please read this section carefully before continuing with the application process.
- Per the Union CBA all positions and work locations are determined by a bidding process which historically has resulted in the starting base locations for new hires being at either the Factoria, Georgetown, or North Seattle locations. You may be responsible for driving to and from your assigned work location using your personal vehicle and purchasing your own gas.
- Call-outs are a required part of the job and may occur with no prior notice.
- You will be expected to wear proper personal protective equipment (PPE) and work in potentially dangerous situations with blowing gas.
- You need to have strong written and oral communication skills to effectively communicate with both our customers and your co-workers to be successful in the job.
- All needed knowledge of the job will be taught in the PSE training schools.
- Often times you will be working alone and at night, working in and around customer’s homes, sometimes unannounced.
To maintain employment, the Gas Worker Trainee must successfully complete all required training and solo tasks within each phase of the Gas Worker Trainee School within the allowable time frame. At such time a Journeyman Technical School will be assigned to each Gas Worker, this path will be determined first by the need of the Company and then by way of Union Seniority. The total length of the Gas Worker program is generally 18 to 24 months, but may be longer due to changing business needs.
The duties and responsibilities will be performed primarily in varied outdoor environments, which includes all weather conditions, noise levels, hazardous conditions and on the full range of outdoor work surfaces. The position involves sitting, standing, walking, moderate to heavy lifting, moderate carrying, bending, reaching, kneeling, twisting, balancing, climbing, and operation of equipment, tools, machinery and computer operation. The use of protective clothing and/or safety devices will be required, and the GW will need to have and maintain their Washington State driver’s license. Entry into the Journeyman position of Customer Field Service Technician after Gas Worker School will also require the employee to obtain their low voltage electrical licenses (06B and possibly 07D).
Families and businesses depend on PSE to provide the energy they need to pursue their dreams. Our steadfast commitment to serving Washington communities with safe, dependable and efficient energy started in 1873. Today we’re building the Northwest’s energy future through efforts like our award winning energy efficiency programs and our leadership in renewable energy.
At PSE we value and respect our employees and provide them opportunities to excel. We offer an expansive pay package that includes competitive compensation, annual goals-based incentive bonuses, comprehensive cafeteria-style benefits, 401(k), a company paid retirement pension plan, and an employee assistance and wellness program.
- Must have a high school diploma or GED.
- Must have the ability to communicate effectively with others and respond to public inquiries or concerns.
- Must maintain necessary certifications and licenses, and have a working knowledge of all Company standards, practices, policies, procedures, safety regulations, codes and State regulations as they pertain to the job.
- Must possess a valid driver's license.
- This position may require the applicant to have and maintain a Commercial Driver's License (CDL) including necessary endorsements and removal of air brake restriction.
- Must be able to comply with safety sensitive components of the DOT Pipeline Operator Regulations
Prior construction experience a plus.
- Starting pay for Gas Worker Trainee currently is $21.71/hour, with increases after successful completion of each of the four phases of the program.
- Successful candidates will be required to reside in and maintain residency within five counties in PSE's Natural Gas Service Territory. - (Snohomish, King, Pierce, Thurston or Lewis Counties).
- Applicants must pass a company provided assessment test.
- Applicants will be subject to pre-employment screening including general aptitude, physical agility assessment and pre-employment drug testing.
- This is a represented position and the successful candidate will need to become a member of the UA Plumbers and Pipefitters Union
- This is a safety sensitive position and is subject to random DOT drug and/or alcohol testing.
- Alternating shifts required including weekends and emergency 7x24 callout
- This position requires a minimum of 24 months in training to become a qualified Gas Worker.
- Training consists of classroom and field training and is provided by PSE.
- Families and businesses depend on PSE to provide the energy they need to pursue their dreams. Our steadfast commitment to serving - Washington communities with safe, dependable and efficient energy started in 1873. Today we're building the Northwest's energy future through efforts like our award winning energy efficiency programs and our leadership in renewable energy.
At PSE we value and respect our employees and provide them opportunities to excel. We offer an expansive pay package that includes competitive compensation, annual goals-based incentive bonuses, comprehensive benefits, 401(K), a company paid retirement pension plan, and an employee assistance and wellness program.
Puget Sound Energy is committed to providing equal employment opportunity to all qualified applicants. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, veteran status or presence of a disability that with or without reasonable accommodation does not prevent performance of the essential functions of the job, or any other category prohibited by local, state or federal law.
Should you have a disability that requires assistance and/or reasonable accommodation with the job application process, please contact the Human Resources Staffing department at email@example.com or 425-462-3017.
Location: Seattle, WA
Application Method: Online: https://jobs.pse.com/job/Seattle-Gas-Worker-WA-98108/774046300/
Base Pay: DOQ