Employer: The City of Yakima
Transit Operator - Part-Time 50%
SALARY: $19.12 - $22.87 Hourly
OPENING DATE: 07/27/21
CLOSING DATE: 08/30/21 04:00 PM
OVERVIEW AND MINIMUM CLASS REQUIREMENTS:
The City of Yakima is a premier employer in the Yakima Valley with extensive opportunities for training and growth! The City offers a competitive benefit package including:
- 3% Bilingual and/or 2% Biliterate English/Spanish special pay
- Comprehensive medical, dental and vision coverage
- FREE healthcare clinic!
- WA State PERS pension plan
- 3% contribution to a 457 deferred compensation plan
- Generous accruals for vacation and sick leave
- Much more!
- This is a permanent part-time position scheduled to work at least 20 hours per week.
Any combination of education or experience which would demonstrate the ability to perform the work. Shall be subject to drug and alcohol testing, pursuant to Department of Transportation(DOT) regulations (49 CFR Part 40) and the Federal Transit Administration's Regulations (49CFR Part 655).
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS AND/OR CERTIFICATES:
Must possess and maintain a valid Class A or B Commercial Driver's License with a passenger endorsement. Must obtain and maintain a valid First Aid/CPR Certificate within six months of appointment.
Under general supervision; operates a City bus in a safe and efficient manner to transport passengers over local routes according to prescribed time schedules; performs related work as required.
- Drives transit vehicles over prescribed City routes in accordance with established safety procedures; provides information to passengers about business locations, routes, time schedules, and transfer points; collects fares from patrons and issues transfers on request; must maintain an attitude of professional concern for passengers, pedestrians and vehicular traffic around bus while operating bus in a manner to avoid traffic and pedestrian hazards, providing the greatest personal safety to passengers being transported.
- Inspects transit equipment such as lights, horn, and brakes to insure the proper and safe operation of the vehicle; cleans buses, on occasion; may periodically use two-way radio to communicate with transit office to report accidents, emergencies, or unusual operating conditions.
- Requires regular and reliable attendance.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
MAJOR WORKER CHARACTERISTICS:
Knowledge of Federal, State and local transit safety rules and regulations. Ability to make quick decisions; to operate passenger buses in a safe and tactful manner; to meet and deal with people in a courteous and tactful manner.
Work is primarily performed on a bus while sitting for excessive periods. Constant use of both hands in reaching/handling/grasping/fingering while performing duties and/or operating buses.Heavy work may include lifting and carrying up to 40 pounds. Occasionally ascends/descends stairs while maintaining balance. Occasional bending/twisting at knees/waist/neck. Constant use of all senses including feeling/talking/hearing/seeing while performing duties and communicating with co-workers, general public and completing all tasks as assigned. Must be able to distinguish color and maintain long-term and short-term memory. Work will require occasional travel to a variety of locations. May work outside in all weather extremes and be exposed to traffic, dust,pollen, noxious odors, and fumes, and/or vibrations. May work alone, with others, confined spaces, or in noisy work area. Will be required to wear safety protective gear when necessary.Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
UNUSUAL WORKING CONDITIONS: Exposure to fumes and noise of traffic; tension caused by heavy traffic conditions; adverse and unpleasant passenger characteristics.
Location: Yakima, WA
Application Method: Online: http://agency.governmentjobs.com/yakimawa/default.cfm?action=viewJob&jobID=3166025&hit_count=yes&headerFooter=1&promo=0&transfer=0&WDDXJobSearchParams=%3CwddxPacket%20version%3D%271%2E0%27%3E%3Cheader%2F%3E%3Cdata%3E%3Cstruct%3E%3Cvar%20name%3D%27TRANSFER%27%3E%3Cnumber%3E0%2E0%3C%2Fnumber%3E%3C%2Fvar%3E%3Cvar%20name%3D%27CATEGORYID%27%3E%3Cstring%3E%2D1%3C%2Fstring%3E%3C%2Fvar%3E%3Cvar%20name%3D%27FIND%5FKEYWORD%27%3E%3Cstring%3E%3C%2Fstring%3E%3C%2Fvar%3E%3Cvar%20name%3D%27PROMOTIONALJOBS%27%3E%3Cnumber%3E0%2E0%3C%2Fnumber%3E%3C%2Fvar%3E%3C%2Fstruct%3E%3C%2Fdata%3E%3C%2FwddxPacket%3E
Base Pay: $19.12 - $22.87 HR