Bridge Maintenance Specialist 2 – Aberdeen
$54,108.00 - $62,748.00 Annually
Grays Harbor County – Aberdeen, WA
Job Type: Full Time - Permanent
Department: Dept. of Transportation
Job Numbe: 21DOT-OR-31087e
Closing: 8/17/2021 11:59 PM Pacific
Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT) is the steward of an integrated, multimodal transportation system that helps to ensure people and goods move safely and efficiently throughout the state. In addition to building, maintaining, and operating the state highway system, WSDOT operates the largest ferry system in the nation, manages the world's longest floating bridge, and recently completed the world's widest tunneling project.
WSDOT is currently seeking to fill a Bridge Maintenance Specialist 2 vacancy located in Aberdeen, WA. Under the direction of the Lead Maintenance Specialist, you will maintain the five (5) moveable span bridge systems located in Grays Harbor County to a condition as near as possible, to the condition of its initial construction or subsequent improvement. The Bridge Maintenance Specialist will operate a wide variety of bridge maintenance equipment and tools, as well as be responsible for safely and effectively performing journey-level work in the maintenance, repair, operation, and reconstruction of the Chehalis, Wishkah, Heron, Simpson and Riverside Bridges and facilities to ensure the safe and efficient movement of people and commerce.
What to Expect:
This position is required to perform work that is often physical in nature, primarily outdoors and often next to high-volume, high-speed traffic. Work performed may be at elevated heights, above 100 feet over land or water, and/or in a confined environment.
Among the varied range of responsibilities held within this role, the Bridge Maintenance Specialist will:
- Perform maintenance, mechanical, electrical, and structural repairs on moveable span bridges, on an ongoing basis and in emergencies.
- Diagnose and repair/replace components; service, lubricate, and maintain the various electrical, mechanical, hydraulic, and marine systems.
- Inspect and maintain navigation warning lights, fender piers lights, and foghorns in accordance with U.S. Coast Guard standards.
- Maintain, modify, and repair components of bridge and land facilities.
- Utilize Environmental Compliance Assurance Procedures to control and prevent hazardous wastes.
- Read and interpret plans, blueprints, and sketches. Develop solutions for repair and maintenance problems.
- Operate specialized equipment such as class A, B, or C equipment for maintenance operations, small boats, man lifts, and Under Bridge Inspection Trucks.
- Perform Preventative Maintenance (PM) such as drain cleaning, bridge deck sealing, painting, expansion joint cleaning and bridge cleaning.
- Design and set up traffic control for operations and perform traffic control such as manually flag traffic or signing for lane closures, road closures and detours.
- Perform snow and ice control to include application of anti-ice compounds to road surface with truck mounted equipment.
- To be considered for this opportunity, at least one of the following are required
- Two (2) years of experience as a Highway Maintenance Worker 2 or equivalent experience such as experience in the heavy construction, carpentry, concrete, steel fabrication, electrical or millwright fields.
- Journey level standing in a construction trade as attested by completion of recognized apprenticeship.
- Full journey status in a trade union.
- Four (4) years of experience as a full-time helper to a journey worker in the specified trade.
- Equivalent education/experience.
In addition to one of the above, the following are required:
- A high school diploma or GED certificate.
- Skilled in the use of radio communication equipment, computers, phones, and other electronic equipment.
- Experience adhering to safety policies and diligence in performing work in a safe manner.
- Experience reading and understanding bridge construction plans for trouble shooting, to include electrical, mechanical, and hydraulic systems.
- Strong knowledge and understanding of structural systems such as concrete, steel, and wood.
- A Washington Class A CDL with N endorsement without airbrake restrictions or ability to obtain within six (6) months of hire.
- A valid Traffic Control/Flagging card with experience performing traffic control per MUTCD including planning, setting signs and cones or barrels, and flagging; or ability to obtain Flagger Certification within six (6) months of hire.
- Experience in communicating effectively in a diverse and inclusive environment, and to multiple audiences orally and in writing.
- The ability to manipulate and transport up to 50 pounds of equipment, tools, and debris.
- The ability to respond to non-scheduled or call-out emergencies 24 hours a day; 7 days a week including nights, weekends, and holidays.
- Must be able to report in service to assigned duty station within sixty (60) minutes of an after-hours call.
It is preferred that qualified candidates also have:
Two (2) years of experience operating and performing preventative maintenance with vehicles 15,000 GVW or greater.
Skilled in the use computers for communicating and sending attachments, using Microsoft Office, and enter and retrieve information from WSDOT data bases such as M-PET.
This position requires twenty-four-hour stand-by rotation for bridge openings, alarms, and emergencies.
The typical schedule for this position is a 40-hours per week, for 4, 10-hour days. Weekends and holidays may be required to respond to non-scheduled or call-out emergencies.
This position may subject to the drug and alcohol testing requirements of the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMSCA). For more information, please go to DOT Drug & Alcohol Testing.
Work-Life Balance – We offer flexible work schedules that allow you time for your life outside of this excellent opportunity.
Paid Leave – In addition to 11 paid holidays, full-time employees earn a minimum 14 paid vacation days per year!
Tuition Assistance – Permanent employees have several options for assistance with education expenses, including tuition reimbursement programs, government discounts at participating colleges throughout the state, and eligibility for federal student loan forgiveness.
Plan For Your Future – WSDOT offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes a variety of healthcare options. Employees also have their choice of state retirement programs, and much more. Go to State Benefits for more information.
Check out this video to learn more: Why WSDOT?
How to Apply:
Applications for this recruitment will be accepted electronically. Your relevant experience may be evaluated to determine salary. Therefore, it is very important that the “Work Experience” portion of the application be completed in as much detail as possible.
In order to be considered for this opportunity, please include the following with your online application:
An attached Resume outlining (in reverse chronological order) your experience to date.
An attached Cover Letter that further explains your qualifications and indicates why you believe you are a viable candidate for this role.
Contact details for a minimum three (3) individuals who can attest to your work performance, technical skills, and job-related competencies. This information can be entered in the “References” section of the online application; does not require an additional attachment.
Please click the "APPLY" button to proceed. Note that you will be prompted to either sign in or create an account. This step is required in order to submit an application to this opportunity.
WSDOT is an equal opportunity employer. We value the importance of creating an environment in which all employees can feel respected, included and empowered to bring unique ideas to the agency. Our diversity and inclusion efforts include embracing different cultures, backgrounds and viewpoints while fostering growth and advancement in the workplace. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons of disability, persons over 40 years of age, disabled and Vietnam era veterans, as well as people of all sexual orientations and gender identities are encouraged to apply. Persons with disabilities needing assistance in the application process, or those needing this job announcement in an alternative format may contact the listed Recruiter.
WSDOT does not use the E-Verify system. For more information, please visit www.uscis.gov
For inquiries about this posting, you may contact the assigned Recruiter, Robyn Lovely at LovelyR@wsdot.wa.gov. Please be sure to reference 21DOT-OR-31087e in the subject line.
Phone: View Posting for Agency Contact
Location: Aberdeen, WA
Application Method: Online: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/washington/wsdot/jobs/3170364/bridge-maintenance-specialist-2-aberdeen
Base Pay: $54,108 - $62,748 YR