Job Positions Available
Position Title For current opening and Job Description visit Covanta.com/careers
Covanta in Brooks, OR, is seeking an experienced Instrument and Controls Technician who will handle routine and emergency maintenance of the facility's industrial electrical and control systems and equipment.
As part of a small team, the Instrument and Controls Technician will work safely to maintain, diagnose, and repair all types of power plant equipment, this includes maintenance related to:
• Boilers and its associated electrical and control equipment, repair and operation of field controllers, instrumentation, motor control centers and other power plant electrical equipment ranging from 120V to 13.8kv, and AC switchgear.
• Perform maintenance on industrial plant electrical distribution systems in a Waste to Energy facility.
• Perform maintenance and testing of low and medium voltage switchgear, circuit breakers, motor starters, and power transformers.
• Perform maintenance of higher voltage switchyard equipment and steam turbine driven generators
• Perform electrical maintenance work related to energy from waste boilers and its associated equipment including but not limited to; fans, motors, & refuse cranes.
• Perform electrical maintenance work related to energy from waste air pollution control systems.
• Trouble shoot, assess, inspect and adjust, and make repairs, as needed to the Continuous Emissions Motoring System (CEMS) as well as all facility flow, pressure, temperature, and level instrumentation. This included but not limited to; transmitter flow devices, level controls, temperature measurement, and flue gas analysis equipment.
• Trouble shoot, assess, inspect and adjust, and make repairs, as needed to the Distributed Control Systems (DCS) and historian devices.
• Perform preventative maintenance task including routine calibration, thermography and ultrasonic testing.
• Operate various calibration equipment
• Perform various electrical and instrumentation maintenance and repair work as assigned using proper Covanta safety practices.
• Troubleshoot electrical and instrumentation problems and complete all maintenance work records
• Active participate in plant shutdown work including teardown inspection of electrical plant equipment
• Required being on call on rotating basis. Work overtime based on plant needs
• Keeps work area and tools in clean, same and orderly manner. Perform plant and shop housekeeping chores
• Complete the any required Covanta training within the assigned timelines.
• Perform other duties as deemed necessary by the E&I Leadman
• Valid driver’s license
• High school diploma and formal technical or apprentice training required
• At least three years of experience as a maintenance electrician in a power plant or a similar field is preferred
• Strong working knowledge of 120V to 13.8kv, AC switchgear
• The ability to work from layout plans and blueprints for electrical equipment installation or troubleshooting work
• Oregon Journeyman Electrician License is required
• Ability to read and interpret documents such as rules, maintenance instructions, and other procedure manuals
• Ability to speak and communicate effectively with supervisors and other employees of the organization
• Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals
• Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or oral instructions
• Ability to follow Covanta safety rules
• Ability to log onto a computer and complete assigned training
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Knowledge of ABB Infi 90 DCS is preferable.
Must be able to access, troubleshoot, and manipulate ladder logic in PLC systems.
Proficient in pressure and temperature calibration of gauges, transmitters, IR temperature indications, RTDs, thermocouples, and any other measuring instruments that provide control functions is preferable.
Location: Brooks, R
Application Method: Online: https://www.covanta.com/
Base Pay: DOQ