Employer: Diocese of Yakima
DIOCESE OF YAKIMA PASTORAL OFFICE
JOB TITLE: ACA Bookkeeper and Database Specialist
DEPARTMENT: Finance Office
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR: Chief Finance Officer
CLASSIFICATION: Full-time; Hourly
DATE PREPARED: June 25, 2021
A. Position Description:
1. Provides data entry and management reporting support, using Raisers Edge application, for the
following fundraising efforts: (a) Annual Catholic Appeal, and (b) Bishop’s Founders Circle
2. Manages online donations and electronic payments. Ensures data is accurately processed
through the banking software for payments by credit card and electronic funds transfer. Creates
bank reports used to enter back processed data into the fundraising system in an accurate &
timely manner for the (a) Annual Catholic Appeal, (b) Bishop’s Founders Circle, and (c) Other
fundraising programs. Maintains desk manual for implementation and training. Responds to audit
inquiries in this area.
3. Prepares monthly/quarterly/annually billing statements for the following fundraising efforts: (a)
Annual Catholic Appeal, and (b) Bishop’s Founders Circle
4. Assist with the creation of donor lists and other gift queries and reports.
5. Provide secretarial support for the Stewardship and Development Director. Perform typing,
proofreading and editing of documents and materials.
6. Creates monthly/quarterly/annually reports of progress and comparative analysis for the
Stewardship and Development Director.
7. Provide administrative support for special events (Bishop’s Founders Circle Dinners and Renewal
Dinners), including assisting with mailings, phone inquiries, marketing material and other clerical
duties as designated by Stewardship and Development Director.
8. Works collaboratively with other Diocesan offices, especially Bishop’s Office to provide support
for administrative tasks and events as requested by the Stewardship and Development Director.
9. Coordination of Quarterly/Semi-Annual meetings organized by the Chief Finance Officer.
10. Perform all other duties as assigned.
11. The Diocese of Yakima is mission orientated and active employee participation is required for major diocesan events and staff retreats. Employees from the Office of the Bishop, Canonical Concerns and the Finance Department are encouraged to work collaboratively in the planning, logistics and support of diocesan events. Please refer to the Diocesan Events Calendar for detailed information about the diocesan events and staff retreats in which attendance is required.
* 1. Annual Catholic Appeal (ACA)
a. Maintains the system requirements of the Raiser’s Edge application, including the annual
license renewal and any application upgrades and/or updates.
b. Maintains a complete and accurate ACA donor database in Raisers Edge by reconciling
database records with records of the parishes, with focus on donor names and addresses;
contribution amounts; pledge information and bank/credit card information.
c. Enters all donor ACA pledges and payments in Raisers’ Edge completely and accurately; and
maintains a file of pledges and checks for the required duration.
d. Prepares the eleven monthly statements for each ACA campaign to parishioners with
outstanding balances on pledges. Prints the billing statements, prepares for bulk mailing, and
delivers them to the Post Office.
e. Works with Stewardship and Development Director to assure appropriate envelopes, forms,
and other material are ordered in a timely manner.
f. Perform database maintenance and clean-up projects to improve data integrity and database
g. Resolves all parish and donor questions and concerns related to: pledge, credit card and
payment, in a timely manner; otherwise, directs these questions and concerns to the
Development & Stewardship Director for resolution.
h. To develop and prepare periodic and ad hoc ACA reports required by management in a
f. Provide leadership, support and training to parish leaders at the Annual ACA Training. Assist
parish leadership to track the growth in the stewardship of the parishes' time, treasure and
* 2. Database Specialist
a. Ensures Raiser’s Edge, NXT and Online Express (online donation) is working properly.
b. Participates in ongoing professional development education i.e. Blackbaud Certification
c. Key communication between Diocese of Yakima and Blackbaud staff
d. Works closely with Central Washington Catholic Foundation and Catholic Charities in
regards to the additional databases.
e. Review quality of database entry and database reporting on a routine basis to identify
areas of improvement. i.e. electronic statements
f. Review outstanding pledges, especially for major donors.
g. Create and execute database queries, exports and reports to assist Director of
Stewardship and Development with direct-mail solicitations, grant-writing and other
fundraising-related needs or events.
h. Creates new entities within Raiser’s Edge and assists with merging duplicate records.
i. Performs research for additional information on donors using various online resources
and services to update online profiles. j. Ensure entry of bounced/invalid emails into the main constituent database.
k. Works to update deceased records.
l. Assists in the routine maintenance of more than 87,000 donor records.
* 3. Major Gifts
a. Answer phone and email inquiries regarding BFC and donations.
b. Ongoing basis update the BFC reports as needed.
c. Maintains and updates major/BFC donor lists
* 4. Finance Office
a. Ensures that all check collections are deposited using the electronic scanner; all cash
collections are deposited in the bank; and all credit card payments are processed.
b. Coordinates the communication and logistics for the following annual trainings as directed by
the CFO and Director of Stewardship and Development:
• Annual Catholic Appeal Training Day
• Pastor and Bookkeeper/Appreciation Day
c. Coordinates the communication and logistics for the following quarterly meetings as directed
by the CFO:
• Finance Council Meeting
• CRP Board Meeting
• Diocesan Building Council
• Seminarian Trust
• Priest Retirement Trust
B. Work Schedule
The normal work schedule is 7 hours per day 5 days a week for a total of 35 hours per week with the
exact schedule determined by the Stewardship and Development Director and Controller. It is the
attendance standard of the Diocese of Yakima for all employees be present and on time each work
period that they are scheduled to work. Full or partial absence during any scheduled work period,
arriving late, or leaving early, for whatever reason, may result in disciplinary action up to and including
termination of employment. Time off may be approved if allowed by applicable policies covering
illness, injury, or other personal emergency. During the peak season of the Annual Catholic Appeal
(Oct-Jan) the normal work schedule shifts to 8 hours per day 5 days a week for a total of 40 hours per
week. All work performed over 40 hours per work week must be paid at time and one half for each
hour worked in excess of forty hours in a work week. Overtime must only be worked with prior
permission of the supervisor. You may not work overtime without express advance written
authorization from your supervisor.
C. Job Requirements
The following requirements are those that are normally required for performance of this position. Any
disabled applicant or incumbent who does not meet one or more of the requirements, but who can perform the essential functions of the job (with or without reasonable accommodations) shall be
deemed to meet these requirements.
1. Physical Requirements: This position normally requires the physical demands of standing,
walking, bending, lifting or performing other work required low physical exertion, talking, and
hearing on a regular basis to perform the job requirements. Specific vision abilities required by
this job include close vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus. These
physical demands are required up to 90% of the time.
2. Non-Physical Requirements:
1) A 2-year post-secondary education in Business Administration and/or bookkeeper related
field is preferred but not required. Entry level applicants are encouraged to apply.
2) Bilingual in English and Spanish is preferred.
1) Demonstrated success with 1 to 2 years experience as an administrative assistant in an
office setting is preferred.
2) Demonstrated competence with 2 to 3 years experience in the operation of computers
with Microsoft Office, donor database (preference is Blackbaud and The Raiser’s Edge),
data analysis, keyboarding and related systems, website, social media.
D. Necessary Skills:
• Ability to organize and conduct multiple competing priorities.
• Ability to communicate clearly and effectively orally and in writing with diverse populations.
E. Special Skills
• Able to publicly represent the Finance Department as required.
• Able to cooperatively work with other office staff.
• Self starter and creative problem solver.
• Able to handle difficult people and stressful situations in a calm and respectful manner.
• Be detail oriented and meet strict weekly/monthly/annual timelines.
• Maintain excellent organizational skills and ability to manage multiple tasks at the same time.
• This position required confidentiality and meticulous accuracy in all matters.
• Ability to successfully complete a criminal history and background. ACKNOWLEDGEMENT
THIS POSITION DESCRIPTION IS INTENDED TO PROVIDE AN OVERVIEW OF THE REQUIREMENT
OF THE POSITION AS SUCH. IT IS NOT NECESSARILY ALL INCLUSIVE, AND THE POSITION MAY
REQUIRE OTHER ESSENTIAL AND/OR NON-ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS, TASKS, DUTIES, OR
RESPONSIBILITIES NO LISTED HEREIN. THE DIOCESE OF YAKIMA RESERVES THE SOLE
RIGHT TO ADD, MODIFY, OR EXCLUDE ANY ESSENTIAL OR NON-ESSENTIAL REQUIREMENT AT
ANY TIME WITH OR WITHOUT NOTICE. NOTHING IN THIS POSITION DESCRIPTION, NOT BY THE
COMPLETION OF THE REQUIREMENT OF THE POSITION BY THE EMPLOYEE, IS INTENDED TO
CREATE A CONTRACT OF EMPLOYMENT OF ANY TYPE. EMPLOYMENT IS “AT WILL” AND MAY
BE TERMINATED AT ANY TIME BY THE EMPLOYEE OR THE DIOCESE OF YAKIMA WITH OR
WITHOUT CAUSE OR NOTICE.
Signature of Employee Date
Signature of Supervisor Dat
Location: Yakima, WA
Application Method: Online: https://www.applitrack.com/yakimadiocese/onlineapp/default.aspx?Category=ACA+Bookkeeper#
Base Pay: DOQ