Highway Maintenance Worker 2 – Regionwide Thermoplastics Crew
Salary: $47,844.00 - $58,260.00 Annually
Location: Thurston County – Lacey, WA
Job Type: Full Time - Permanent
Department: Dept. of Transportation
Job Number: 21DOT-OR-32699e
Closing: 7/6/2021 11:59 PM Pacific
Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT) is the steward of an integrated, multimodal transportation system that helps to ensure people and goods move safely and efficiently throughout the state. In addition to building, maintaining, and operating the state highway system, WSDOT operates the largest ferry system in the nation, manages the world's longest floating bridge, and recently completed the world's widest tunneling project.
WSDOT is currently seeking a journey-level maintenance professional to join the Thermoplastic Crew as a Highway Maintenance Worker 2. As a member of the Thermoplastics Crew, you will primarily work in the installation and removal of durable pavement markings, signs, raised pavement markings, and striping. In this role, you will aid in setting up and maintaining a safe work zone for regionwide, statewide, and area crews. This position may also have the opportunity work with the Regionwide Workzone Traffic Control Crew and participate in the daily operations. In addition, you will assist Area Maintenance sheds in the winter months by maintaining roadways for open travel and performing day-to-day highway maintenance operations. The Highway Maintenance Worker 2 performs a variety of skilled maintenance tasks and may occasionally lead a crew in the absence of a Highway Maintenance Worker 3.
What to Expect:
This position is required to respond to emergency callouts and must be available for standby 24 hours a day/7 day a week. Work is often physical in nature and performed primarily outdoors, traversing rough, steep, and uneven terrain; and near high-volume/high-speed traffic. May also work at elevated heights above 25 feet over land or water.
Among the varied range of responsibilities held within this role, the Highway Maintenance Worker 2 will:
- Install durable pavement markings; load thermoplastic materials and prepare equipment for use.
- Use gas powered surface preparation grinder for removal and pavement markings replacement or cleaning.
- Maintain roadway features, such as Raised Pavement Markings (RPM), pavement markings, and highway paint lines. Maintain and repair asphalt and concrete pavement.
- Operate highway equipment, power tools and hand tools. Class A, B, or C equipment for maintenance operations.
- Maintain drainage systems including catch basins, sedimentation facilities, and ditches.
- Perform sign maintenance and repair, guardrail, fence and impact attenuator installation and repair.
- Perform snow and ice control, to include application of anti-icing compounds to road surface with truck mounted equipment, and load trucks from stockpiles or pits.
- Design, set up and perform traffic control for all operations; as well as full road or bridge closures according to departmental and MUTCD standards.
- Perform maintenance and minor repair on equipment and hand tools.
To be considered for this opportunity, the following are required:
- Two (2) years of experience performing roadway maintenance, or heavy equipment operation.
- Possession of a valid Traffic Control/Flagging card with experience performing traffic control per MUTCD including planning, setting signs and cones or barrels, and flagging; or the obtain Flagger Certification within six (6) months of hire.
- Possession of a Washington Class A CDL with N endorsement without airbrake restrictions; or the ability to obtain within 12 months of hire.
- The ability to respond to emergency situations in all weather conditions; 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- The ability to manipulate and transport up to 50 pounds of equipment and materials.
- Must be able to report in service to assigned duty station within 60 minutes of an after-hours call.
It is preferred that qualified candidates also have:
High school diploma, GED certificate or equivalent.
- This position is required to work rotational night shift.
- This position is required to work alternate and emergency shifts as situations dictate.
- This position may subject to the drug and alcohol testing requirements of the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMSCA). For more information, please go to DOT Drug & Alcohol Testing.
- Work-Life Balance – We offer flexible work schedules that allow you time for your life outside of this excellent opportunity.
- Paid Leave – In addition to 10 paid holidays, full-time employees earn a minimum 14 paid vacation days per year!
- Tuition Assistance – Permanent employees have several options for assistance with education expenses, including tuition reimbursement programs, government discounts at participating colleges throughout the state, and eligibility for federal student loan forgiveness.
- Plan For Your Future – WSDOT offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes a variety of healthcare options. Employees also have their choice of state retirement programs, and much more. Go to State Benefits for more information.
Check out this video to learn more: Why WSDOT?
How to Apply:
- Applications for this recruitment will be accepted electronically. Your relevant experience may be evaluated to determine salary. Therefore, it is very important that the “Work Experience” portion of the application be completed in as much detail as possible.
- In order to be considered for this opportunity, please include the following with your online application:
- An attached Resume outlining (in reverse chronological order) your experience to date.
- An attached Cover Letter that further explains your qualifications and indicates why you believe you are a viable candidate for this role.
- Contact details for a minimum three (3) individuals who can attest to your work performance, technical skills, and job-related competencies.
- This information can be entered in the “References” section of the online application; does not require an additional attachment.
Please click the "APPLY" button to proceed. Note that you will be prompted to either sign in or create an account. This step is required in order to submit an application to this opportunity.
WSDOT is an equal opportunity employer. We value the importance of creating an environment in which all employees can feel respected, included, and empowered to bring unique ideas to the agency. Our diversity and inclusion efforts include embracing different cultures, backgrounds and viewpoints while fostering growth and advancement in the workplace. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons of disability, persons over 40 years of age, disabled and Vietnam era veterans, as well as people of all sexual orientations and gender identities are encouraged to apply. Persons with disabilities needing assistance in the application process, or those needing this job announcement in an alternative format may contact the listed Recruiter.
WSDOT does not use the E-Verify system. For more information, please visit www.uscis.gov
For inquiries about this posting, you may contact the assigned Recruiter, Robyn Lovely at LovelyR@wsdot.wa.gov. Please be sure to reference 21DOT-OR-32699e in the subject line.
Location: Lacey, WA
Application Method: Online: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/washington/wsdot/jobs/3123326/highway-maintenance-worker-2-regionwide-thermoplastics-crew
Base Pay: $47,844 - $58,260 YR