Highway Maintenance Worker 1 – Rest Area Attendant
Salary: $3,293.82 - $3,986.34 Monthly
Location: Benton County – Prosser, WA
Job Type: Part Time - Permanent
Department: Dept. of Transportation
Job Number: 21DOT-SCR-51067
Closing: 6/30/2021 11:59 PM Pacific
Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT) is the steward of an integrated, multimodal transportation system that helps to ensure people and goods move safely and efficiently throughout the state. In addition to building, maintaining, and operating the state highway system, WSDOT operates the largest ferry system in the nation, manages the world's longest floating bridge, and recently completed the world's widest tunneling project.
WSDOT is seeking to fill a part-time Highway Maintenance Worker 1 position who will perform janitorial services, facility maintenance, and landscaping activities at our Safety Rest Areas and other maintenance facilities. Reporting to the Prosser Maintenance Facility, the ideal candidate must possess a willingness to work any shift, often for long hours on short notice, including weekends and holidays. This position requires a self-directed individual who will take independent actions to resolve maintenance problems as they occur. Our ideal candidate will also demonstrate a strong commitment to customer service when responding to inquiries and complaints from the traveling public.
What to Expect
This is a part-time position anticipated to work approximately 20 hours a week.
Among the varied range of responsibilities held within this role, you will:
- Perform a variety of janitorial services at highway rest area, including but not limited to cleaning, disinfecting, replenishing supplies, sweeping and mopping floors in facilities.
- Request supplies as needed.
- Inspect restrooms and perform minor repairs needed to stalls, plumbing, lighting, and paper dispensers.
- Maintain landscaped areas by mowing, trimming and pruning of trees and shrubbery; weeding flower and shrub beds.
- Repair irrigation systems by replacing sprinkler heads, broken lines, and sprinkler head parts.
- Collect garbage bags and pick up litter and debris in and around rest areas and highways.
- Clean utility room and equipment maintain and clean RV dump stations.
- During winter months, use pickup with plow and blower attachments, loader, and shovels to remove snow from vehicle entrance/exit, parking areas, sidewalks, and buildings as needed.
- Apply salt as needed to melt snow and ice on sidewalks and around buildings.
- Communicate professionally and effectively with traveling public daily.
- Document data collection using an iPad.
To be considered for this opportunity, the following are required:
- A valid driver’s license.
- Ability and willingness to work any shift, including weekends and holidays, and be subject to overtime and emergency callouts.
- Ability to move and carry up to 50 lbs.
- Be able to work in all weather conditions including extreme conditions and temperatures on uneven terrain.
- Possess basic computer skills to receive and send email, use the internet, and enter information into computer programs, forms, and mobile technology devices.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills to work effectively with others and contribute to a team effort.
It is preferred that qualified candidates also have:
One (1) year of experience performing maintenance activities in a related field such as janitorial, landscaping, facilities, or construction.
Typical part-time schedule is Sunday – Wednesday, 8:00am – 1:00pm, OR Wednesday – Saturday, 8:00am – 1:00pm, however, days and hours may vary.
- Work-Life Balance – We offer flexible work schedules that allow you time for your life outside of this excellent opportunity.
- Paid Leave – In addition to 10 paid holidays, full-time employees earn a minimum 14 paid vacation days per year!
- Tuition Assistance – Permanent employees have several options for assistance with education expenses, including tuition reimbursement programs, government discounts at participating colleges throughout the state, and eligibility for federal student loan forgiveness.
- Plan For Your Future – WSDOT offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes a variety of healthcare options. Employees also have their choice of state retirement programs, and much more. Go to State Benefits for more information.
Check out this video to learn more: Why WSDOT?
How to Apply:
- Applications for this recruitment will be accepted electronically. Your relevant experience may be evaluated to determine salary. Therefore, it is very important that the “Work Experience” portion of the application be completed in as much detail as possible.
- In order to be considered for this opportunity, please include the following with your online application:
- Contact details for a minimum three (3) individuals who can attest to your work performance, technical skills, and job-related competencies. This information may be entered in the “References” section of the online application; does not require an additional attachment.
Please click the "APPLY" button to proceed. Note that you will be prompted to either sign in, or create an account. This step is required in order to submit an application to this opportunity.
WSDOT is an equal opportunity employer. We value the importance of creating an environment in which all employees can feel respected, included and empowered to bring unique ideas to the agency. Our diversity and inclusion efforts include embracing different cultures, backgrounds and viewpoints while fostering growth and advancement in the workplace. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons of disability, persons over 40 years of age, disabled and Vietnam era veterans, as well as people of all sexual orientations and gender identities are encouraged to apply. Persons with disabilities needing assistance in the application process, or those needing this job announcement in an alternative format may contact the listed Recruiter. WSDOT does not use the E-Verify system. For more information, please visit www.uscis.gov.
For inquiries about this posting, you may contact the assigned Recruiter, Rachel Giese at GieseR@wsdot.wa.gov. Please be sure to reference 21DOT-SCR-51067 in the subject line.
Location: Prosser, WA
Application Method: Online: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/washington/wsdot/jobs/3121065/highway-maintenance-worker-1-rest-area-attendant
Base Pay: $3,293.82 - $3,986.34 YR