Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT) is the steward of an integrated, multimodal transportation system that helps to ensure people and goods move safely and efficiently throughout the state. In addition to building, maintaining, and operating the state highway system, WSDOT operates the largest ferry system in the nation, manages the world's longest floating bridge, and recently completed the world's widest tunneling project.
WSDOT is currently seeking a journey-level mechanic to join the facilities maintenance team in Spokane, WA for a temporary appointment anticipated to last up to 12 months. The Maintenance Mechanic 3 will perform skilled work in a variety of trades including mechanical, plumbing, and building retrofits and repairs in regionwide buildings and Safety Rest Areas. This position will also be responsible for working independently throughout the Eastern Region (ER) sites and buildings, supporting the Preventative Maintenance (PM) and Corrective Maintenance (CM) programs of the facilities section. This individual must be able to think quickly and have the desire to conduct complete research, arriving at the best solution for repair work.
What to Expect:
- The Maintenance Mechanic 3 must be available to travel throughout the Eastern Region and stay out of town overnight as needed. The incumbent will be required to respond to emergency call outs and work weekend shifts if needed. Among the varied range of responsibilities held within this role, you will:
- Perform journey-level plumbing work including preventive maintenance, repair, and new equipment & fixture installation.
- Perform journey-level work to maintain, repair, service, and install backflow devices using specialized test equipment, various hand and power tools.
- Perform journey-level work on doors, door lock assemblies, and compressed air systems.
- Read blueprints, estimate time, materials, equipment and submit formal test results as required by local code enforcement for these projects.
- Troubleshoot and repair building plumbing systems and equipment that is not functioning.
- Make repairs of small motors and pumps.
- Act as the Region key master responsible for the issuing of and record keeping of all keys, cores, and locksets.
- Work with other skilled employees on all aspects of minor and major remodel projects in the field of construction using power and hand tools and equipment.
Perform concrete work, plumbing, electrical, framing, drywall, insulation, siding, roofing, build tool racks and other miscellaneous work.
- To be considered for these opportunities, the following are required:
- Completion of a recognized apprenticeship in a skilled mechanic trade (experience may be substituted for apprenticeship program on a year for year basis).
- One (1) year of experience as a journey-level worker in building and equipment maintenance, construction, or repair work.
- Washington State Department of Health backflow certification or ability to obtain certification within 8 months.
- Experience in communicating effectively in a diverse and inclusive environment, and to multiple audiences, both orally and in writing.
- Experience providing outstanding customer service.
- Experience adhering to safety policies and diligence in performing work in a safe manner.
- Proficiency with computers and basic Microsoft Software operating skills, to include Outlook, Word, and Excel.
- The ability to work nights, weekends, and holidays to respond to non-scheduled call-out emergencies.
- A valid driver’s license.
It is preferred that qualified candidates also have:
Documented journey-level carpentry experience in installing and maintaining door and window hardware in wood, steel and aluminum doors and windows.
Documented journey-level plumbing experience with installing and maintaining commercial plumbing fixtures, water delivery components, water metering and protection devices, water conditioning systems and similar equipment.
This is a non-permanent position expected to last approximately 12 months. While there is possibility for conversion to permanent, there are no guarantees at this time.
Work-Life Balance – We offer flexible work schedules that allow you time for your life outside of this excellent opportunity.
Paid Leave – In addition to 10 paid holidays, full-time employees earn a minimum 14 paid vacation days per year!
Plan For Your Future – WSDOT offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes a variety of healthcare options. Employees also have their choice of state retirement programs, and much more. Go to State Benefits for more information.
Check out this video to learn more: Why WSDOT?
How to Apply:
Applications for this recruitment will be accepted electronically. Your relevant experience may be evaluated to determine salary. Therefore, it is very important that the “Work Experience” portion of the application be completed in as much detail as possible.
In order to be considered for this opportunity, please include the following with your online application
An attached Resume outlining (in reverse chronological order) your experience to date.
An attached Cover Letter that further explains your qualifications and indicates why you believe you are a viable candidate for this role.
Contact details for a minimum three (3) individuals who can attest to your work performance, technical skills, and job-related competencies. This information can be entered in the “References” section of the online application; does not require an additional attachment.
Please click the "APPLY" button to proceed. Note that you will be prompted to either sign in or create an account. This step is required in order to submit an application to this opportunity.
WSDOT is an equal opportunity employer. We value the importance of creating an environment in which all employees can feel respected, included and empowered to bring unique ideas to the agency. Our diversity and inclusion efforts include embracing different cultures, backgrounds and viewpoints while fostering growth and advancement in the workplace. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons of disability, persons over 40 years of age, disabled and Vietnam era veterans, as well as people of all sexual orientations and gender identities are encouraged to apply. Persons with disabilities needing assistance in the application process, or those needing this job announcement in an alternative format may contact the listed Recruiter.
WSDOT does not use the E-Verify system. For more information, please visit www.uscis.gov
For inquiries about this posting, you may contact the assigned Recruiter, Robyn Lovely at LovelyR@wsdot.wa.gov. Please be sure to reference 21DOT-ER-60219 in the subject line.
Location: Spokane, WA
Application Method: Online: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/washington/wsdot/jobs/3115035/maintenance-mechanic-3-facilities
Base Pay: $4,627 - $5,361 YR