Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT) is the steward of an integrated, multimodal transportation system that helps to ensure people and goods move safely and efficiently throughout the state. In addition to building, maintaining, and operating the state highway system, WSDOT operates the largest ferry system in the nation, manages the world's longest floating bridge, and recently completed the world's widest tunneling project.
WSDOT is currently seeking an Equipment Technician 2 in Wenatchee, WA. This position will perform journey level inspections, diagnose and make minor repairs, perform preventative maintenance on all types of equipment used in highway maintenance. May assist technicians in repairs and is involved in the WSDOT Safety program.
What to Expect:
This position will perform preventative maintenance, diagnose, repair and maintain all types of equipment used in the maintenance and construction of roadways.
Among the varied range of responsibilities held within this role, you will:
- Perform scheduled preventative maintenance inspections and services on light and heavy-duty vehicles, loaders, fuel islands and other equipment related to snow removal and highway maintenance.
- Maintain, various braking systems, trouble shoot, repair brake systems of all types; these include air, mechanical, hydraulic, ABS, and power assisted brakes of all types and the related components. Includes traction control and stability systems.
- Perform maintenance and repair work on various snow and ice removal equipment such as sanding application equipment, snowplows, various specialized snow removal equipment, four-wheel drive equipment, marine equipment, material handling equipment, paving and asphalt equipment, excavating and catch basin cleaning equipment, mobile traffic control messaging and lighting equipment.
- Road test vehicles and equipment to verify leaks and repairs.
- Install & maintain safety lighting, hydraulic systems, hitches, brackets, guards. Includes repairs & fabrication on snowplows, snow blowers, graders, excavators, sweepers, various and other assorted highway and construction equipment. Install components & equipment, protect equipment from corrosion damage, and wash & clean equipment.
- Write & adjust work orders, add notes, attach pictures, enter labor, charge out parts, review vehicle/ equipment history records.
To be considered for this opportunity, the following are required:
High School Diploma or GED and two (2) years of experience in the performance of preventative maintenance and repairs assisting a journey-level mechanic, or journey-level standing as a heavy equipment mechanic, demonstrated by completion of a recognized apprenticeship, or journey-level standing as recognized by a labor union.
One (1) year of experience as a journey-level mechanic maintaining and repairing heavy-duty equipment.
Ability to maintain a Class A Commercial Driver's License (CDL), with "N" and Air Brake endorsements, no automatic transmission restriction
DOT Medical Certification or obtain this license within 6 months of hire date.
It is preferred that qualified candidates also have:
Successful completion of vocational technical training in heavy equipment, light vehicles and/or industrial/ commercial equipment repair, including welding/fabrication.
ASE certifications in Automotive and/ or Heavy-Duty equipment. DOT brake certifications.
This position is subject to the drug and alcohol testing requirements of the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMSCA). For more information, please go to DOT Drug & Alcohol Testing.
Work-Life Balance – We offer flexible work schedules that allow you time for your life outside of this excellent opportunity.
Paid Leave – In addition to 10 paid holidays, full-time employees earn a minimum 14 paid vacation days per year!
Tuition Assistance – Permanent employees have several options for assistance with education expenses, including tuition reimbursement programs, government discounts at participating colleges throughout the state, and eligibility for federal student loan forgiveness.
Plan For Your Future – WSDOT offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes a variety of healthcare options. Employees also have their choice of state retirement programs, and much more. Go to State Benefits for more information.
Check out this video to learn more: Why WSDOT?
How to Apply:
Applications for this recruitment will be accepted electronically. Your relevant experience may be evaluated to determine salary. Therefore, it is very important that the “Work Experience” portion of the application be completed in as much detail as possible.
In order to be considered for this opportunity, please include the following with your online application:
An attached Resume outlining (in reverse chronological order) your experience to date.
An attached Cover Letter that further explains your qualifications and indicates why you believe you are a viable candidate for this role.
Contact details for a minimum three (3) individuals who can attest to your work performance, technical skills, and job-related competencies. This information can be entered in the “References” section of the online application; does not require an additional attachment.
Please click the "APPLY" button to proceed. Note that you will be prompted to either sign in or create an account. This step is required in order to submit an application to this opportunity.
WSDOT is an equal opportunity employer. We value the importance of creating an environment in which all employees can feel respected, included and empowered to bring unique ideas to the agency. Our diversity and inclusion efforts include embracing different cultures, backgrounds and viewpoints while fostering growth and advancement in the workplace. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons of disability, persons over 40 years of age, disabled and Vietnam era veterans, as well as people of all sexual orientations and gender identities are encouraged to apply. Persons with disabilities needing assistance in the application process, or those needing this job announcement in an alternative format may contact the listed Recruiter.
WSDOT does not use the E-Verify system. For more information, please visit
For inquiries about this posting, you may contact the assigned Recruiter, Sidra Fields, at email@example.com. Please be sure to reference 21DOT-NCR-20304 in the subject line.
Location: Wenatchee, WA
Application Method: Online: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/washington/wsdot/jobs/3114230/equipment-technician-2
Base Pay: $47,844 - $55,524 YR