The mission of Yakima County Volunteer Attorney Services (Yakima VAS) is to bridge the justice gap by
facilitating high-quality, free, civil legal services to low-income people in Yakima County. Our vision is to
ensure equitable access to justice for all.
Yakima VAS has an organizational commitment to incorporate equity and inclusion in both the work we
do and the work environment we create. All staff are expected to uphold this commitment and approach
their role with a desire to learn and grow in this area.
HJP (Housing Justice Project) Intake Assistant
PTE: approximately 20 hours a week through the end of 2021
Work Type: Part-time, with flexible hours
Other benefits: Mileage reimbursement
Position Summary: The key responsibility of the HJP Intake Assistant is to support the HJP Outreach
Coordinator in conducting intakes and client management for tenants at risk of eviction or in eviction
proceedings. This temporary position was created to increase our capacity to serve those impacted
by the pandemic, with an emphasis on reaching individuals who do not speak English and/or who
do not have legal status. The position is supervised by the Executive Director.
Housing Justice Project: HJP provides low-income tenants at risk for eviction (because of
landlord/tenant/housing disputes) access to relevant services and information to resolve their
disputes, referrals for mediation intervention and legal advice and representation when applicable for
the purpose of preserving housing and preventing homelessness.
Primary duties of this position include, but are not limited to:
• Coordinating referrals for legal and other community services for clients as needed.
• Data entry to track client outcomes and services provided.
• Assisting in case managing high barrier clients.
• Serving as liaison between attorney and client when necessary and providing interpreting as able.
• Ensuring that confidential client files and records are appropriately maintained.
• Assisting with any walk-in clinics.
• Assisting Executive Director and HJP Outreach Coordinator with miscellaneous duties as
necessary and as directed.
• Assisting with translations (social media, flyers, postings)
• Providing feedback to Spanish outlines and other Spanish materials
• Filing AOG complaints
• Calling clients to confirm appointments
Successful candidate will:
• Be an effective communicator (verbally and in writing) in both English and Spanish.
• Be a motivated self-manager, able to manage time and prioritize tasks.HJP Intake Assistant
2 of 2
• Be able to confidently, compassionately and professionally work with community members coming
from poverty, social service providers, legal professionals and the courts.
• Be flexible and willing to evolve with the position as community needs become clearer.
• Be able to maintain client privacy and confidentiality.
• Have strong interpersonal and communication skills.
• Be highly proficient in the use of computers and office equipment.
• Have a minimum of 1-year full time experience facilitating access to social services to low-income
clients in Yakima County.
• Have reliable transportation and willingness to work a schedule that considers the client’s needs.
• Have familiarity with (or the ability to acquire knowledge of) laws, legal procedures, and the legal
Start: $18.00 an hour
Contact Person: Jessica Martinez
Location: Yakima, WA
Application Method: Email
Base Pay: $18.00 per hour - Part Time