Office Assistant 2
Salary: $31,344.00 - $41,352.00 Annually
Location: Thurston County – Olympia, WA
Job Type: Full Time - Permanent
Department: Dept. of Transportation
Job Number: 21DOT-HQ-01007-1
Closing: 5/31/2021 11:59 PM Pacific
Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT) is the steward of an integrated, multimodal transportation system that helps to ensure people and goods move safely and efficiently throughout the state. In addition to building, maintaining, and operating the state highway system, WSDOT operates the largest ferry system in the nation, manages the world's longest floating bridge, and recently completed the world's widest tunneling project.
Are you interested in working in a fast-paced environment? Do you enjoy doing research and independently finding answers to questions? Do you take pride in providing outstanding customer service? If you answered yes, this opportunity might be the right fit for you.
The WSDOT Accounting and Financial Services (AFS) division is currently seeking a highly organized, detail-oriented Office Assistant 2 to fill a vacancy within the Payments and Receipts unit. This position contributes to the mission of the department by ensuring vendor payments, contract payments and cash receipts comply with regulations and contractual obligations in support of delivery of WSDOT transportation projects.
What to Expect:
The Office Assistant 2 position is responsible for supporting the cash receipts, vendor payments and caps teams. As an Office Assistant 2 in the Payment and Receipts unit, the incumbent has experience with the Department's accounting and reporting systems, and knowledge of Department and Statewide accounting policies and procedures.
Among the varied range of responsibilities held within this role, the Office Assistant 2 will:
- Responsible for the accounting and processing of cash documents for OST and TRAINS to account for payments received via IAP, EFT and ACH electronically.
- Responsible for the processing and accounting of credit card sales, regional accounting and permit cash deposits, and the associated bank sweeps.
- Perform a variety of office tasks including but not limited to; retrieving and/or extracting data for back up documentation, assist with various reconciliations, CAPS filing, A&W’ing of fiscal documents in TRAINS.
- Assist with management of warrant register and cash receipt queue, research missing documents as needed.
- Scan accepted cash receipt, payment, and journal voucher documents into imaging system. Process batches through quality control, making sure images are clear and legible. Process batches through validation, making sure bar code is read correctly. Maintains cash receipt files and archives all cash related documents.
- Provide customer service to internal and external customers and other duties as assigned.
- Work directly with Risk Management staff to accept 3rd Party Damage credit card payments via phone daily. Maintain audit log for credit card machine.
- To be considered for this opportunity, the following are required:
- High school diploma or equivalent
- One (1) year of general clerical or fiscal experience. Education can substitute for one year of experience.
- Proficiency with Microsoft applications. At minimum, an intermediate level of proficiency with Excel, Word, and Outlook.
- Communicate effectively, both oral and written, with a large internal and external customer base.
- The ability to remain organized and prioritize daily tasks while frequently switching between conflicting deadlines.
- Ability to research applicable state laws, policies and procedures related to areas of responsibility and preform work in accordance with GAAP and department/statewide policies and procedures.
- The ability to work in the office Monday-Friday 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM (due to the nature of the work performed, this position is not eligible for telework).
It is preferred that qualified candidates also have:
- College level accounting credits
- Cash handling/receipting experience
- Knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), Cash Receipting rules, Purchasing, and Travel Regulations.
- The ability to comprehend and understand accounting information produced by various automated systems, including but not limited to TRAINS, PCMS, Great Plains and Data Mart.
- Skilled in reconciling multiple reports and/or electronic systems.
Prior to a new hire, a background check including criminal record history will be conducted. Information from the background check will not necessarily preclude employment but will be considered in determining the applicant’s suitability and competence to perform in the position.
Work-Life Balance – We offer flexible work schedules that allow you time for your life outside of this excellent opportunity.
Paid Leave – In addition to 10 paid holidays, full-time employees earn a minimum 14 paid vacation days per year!
Tuition Assistance – Permanent employees have several options for assistance with education expenses, including tuition reimbursement programs, government discounts at participating colleges throughout the state, and eligibility for federal student loan forgiveness.
Plan For Your Future – WSDOT offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes a variety of healthcare options. Employees also have their choice of state retirement programs, and much more. Go to State Benefits for more information.
Check out this video to learn more: Why WSDOT?
How to Apply:
- Applications for this recruitment will be accepted electronically. Your relevant experience may be evaluated to determine salary. Therefore, it is very important that the “Work Experience” portion of the application be completed in as much detail as possible.
- In order to be considered for this opportunity, please include the following with your online application:
- An attached Resume outlining (in reverse chronological order) your experience to date.
- An attached Cover Letter that further explains your qualifications and indicates why you believe you are a viable candidate for this role. Please also include in your cover letter your greatest strength and how you would use it to be successful on this team.
- Contact details for a minimum three (3) individuals who can attest to your work performance, technical skills, and job-related competencies. This information can be entered in the “References” section of the online application; does not require an additional attachment.
Please click the "APPLY" button to proceed. Note that you will be prompted to either sign in or create an account. This step is required in order to submit an application to this opportunity.
WSDOT is an equal opportunity employer. We value the importance of creating an environment in which all employees can feel respected, included and empowered to bring unique ideas to the agency. Our diversity and inclusion efforts include embracing different cultures, backgrounds and viewpoints while fostering growth and advancement in the workplace. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons of disability, persons over 40 years of age, disabled and Vietnam era veterans, as well as people of all sexual orientations and gender identities are encouraged to apply. Persons with disabilities needing assistance in the application process, or those needing this job announcement in an alternative format may contact the listed Recruiter.
WSDOT does not use the E-Verify system. For more information, please visit www.uscis.gov
For inquiries about this posting, you may contact the assigned Recruiter, Amanda Strebeck, at firstname.lastname@example.org . Please be sure to reference Office Assistant 2 1007 in the subject line.
Location: Olympia, WA
Application Method: Online: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/washington/wsdot/jobs/3091568/office-assistant-2?pagetype=jobOpportunitiesJobs
Base Pay: $31,344 - $41,352 YR