Employer: City of Bellevue
CITY OF BELLEVUE invites applications for the position of:
Telemetry Technician-Lead-Position #21-00152
SALARY: $35.71 - $49.26 Hourly, $6,190.54 - $8,538.92 Monthly, $74,286.48 - $102,467.04 Annually
OPENING DATE: 05/10/21
CLOSING DATE: Continuous
Do you have a passion for Public Service? Do you want to make a positive impact on your community? At the City of Bellevue, you'll be part of a team committed to providing exceptional public service, upholding the public interest and being part of the community vision. You'll work inan environment where being innovative, collaborative and future focused are the status quo.Bellevue welcomes the world; our diversity is our strength. It's what makes the City of Bellevue an exciting place to work, live and explore.
The City of Bellevue has adopted a "One City" philosophy with these common goals continually at the forefront:
- Sharing leadership, where everyone in the city makes decisions at their level of expertise.
- Collaborating widely as members of teams and departments, as well as cross-departmentally to produce the best, most effective and creative results for our customers.
- Encouraging innovation and process improvements.
- Embracing cultural competencies.
- The Lead Telemetry Technician coordinates and oversees the maintenance of the city's Utility Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) system, including associated instrumentation, controls, communications architecture, electrical services, and software systems used by the city's water, sewer, and storm water systems. This position provides technical analysis, installation, maintenance, and modification of utilities SCADA system hardware and software and helps to optimize the operation and reliability of the water, sewer and storm water systems. This position also provides day to day oversight and coordination of a small work team.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Analyzes SCADA system performance to ensure it is meeting availability and performance objectives. Resolves system software and hardware problems. Works with Utilities staff to translate functional needs into technical specifications. Develops documentation on system specifications and operating instructions.
- Performs tests, maintenance, repairs, calibration, documentation and programming of the City's analog and digital telemetry communications infrastructure, including copper phone lines, cellular and fiber optic services.
- Performs tests, maintenance, repairs, calibration, documentation and programming of instrumentation and controls for water, sewer, and storm telemetry systems, as well as the associated master telemetry control units.
- Performs tests, maintenance, repairs, calibration, documentation and programming of the security system at all Utilities remote sites, including both intrusion detection and access control. Evaluate, test and implement new security products, technologies and strategiesto ensure the continued safety and security of City-owned water, sewer and storm water remote facilities.
- Oversee deployment of field devices and upgrades related to the City of Bellevue’s SCADA Master Plan Implementation
- Oversees electrical maintenance for all City-owned water, sewer, and surface water facilities, including over 80 pump and lift stations across the city. Performs and/or oversees tests, maintenance, repairs, documentation and programming of variablefrequency drives, smart motor controllers, automatic transfer switches and ventilation systems.
- Coordinate with the City’s Information Technology (IT) department on a regular basis in regards to the City’s SCADA Master Plan Implementation and to provides hardware and programming support for the City's SCADA visualization software system, including associated networks, servers, firewalls, databases, interfaces, and middleware components. Perform basic modifications to the design and function of the visualization software.
- Manage SCADA and security software account settings, including adding and removing users, changing user roles and permissions, creating and maintaining user groups.
- In conjunction with Operations Superintendent, researches and recommends new or additional industrial control system hardware and software. Remains current on new ndustry trends, methods and technologies.
- Provides electrical safety training for Operations & Maintenance (O&M) personnel and administer the division’s Lock-out/Tag-out program.
- Provides training and mentorship to Operations Section personnel on telemetry,instrumentation, controls, visualization software and security systems.
- Performs design reviews for the installation of electrical and telemetry equipment on new and existing water, wastewater, and storm facilities.
- Monitors, schedules, and coordinates Telemetry and Security projects that support the needs of the Utilities Operation & Maintenance division.
- Responds to emergency calls after regular business hours (overtime): Power outages,weather events, system alarms, operator assistance, etc. - Must be available to be on-call24/7 on a rotational basis (“standby”).
- Coordinates on a regular basis with our systems integrator on system needs, “start-ups” at new or rehabbed facilities, and with implementation of our SCADA Master Plan
Supervision Received and Exercised:
- Works under the general supervision of the Utilities SCADA & Operations Supervisor.
- No formal supervisory responsibilities, however, does lead the day to day planning and assignments of the Utilities Telemetry Technicians.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Thorough technical knowledge and understanding of electrical systems, basic electronics,hydraulics, pneumatics, programmable logic controllers (PLC), flow meters, pressure transducers, valve operators, motor controls, tone and digital telemetry, phone company telemetry leased lines, Windows computer applications, and test equipment.
- Thorough knowledge of SCADA system architecture design strategies, to include:communication media capabilities and limitations, server and master telemetry unit (MTU)redundancies, thin vs. thick client licensing, historian databases, trending applications,alarm notifications, hub-and-spoke vs mesh topology, virtual machines, defense-in-depth principles, machine learning and private cloud networks.
- Knowledge of ladder logic programming, object-oriented programming and various industrial control configuration programs.
Knowledge of Visual Basic.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
Education, Experience, and Other Requirements:
- Graduation from high school or a GED equivalent.
- Five or more years of professional related experience in electrical systems, basic electronics, and hydraulics.
- Washington General Journeyman Electrical license and Electronic Technician certification preferred, but not required
- Or any equivalent combination of education, experience and training that provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Work involves walking, talking, hearing, climbing, using hands to handle, feel or operate objects, tools, or controls, and reaching with hands and arms.
- Must be able to work in all types of weather conditions.
- Must be able to work in confined spaces.
- Vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
- The employee may be required to push, pull, lift, and/or carry up to 40 pounds.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderately quiet.
- Must pass a criminal background check prior to hire.
For further information about the job posting, please contact: Mike Evans at (425) 452-2922
Job site: Bellevue Service Center, 2901 115th Avenue NE, Bellevue, WA 98004.
This is a non-exempt position.
The City of Bellevue supports workplace diversity and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, national origin,marital status, age, language, disability, veteran status, genetic information, or any other protected status. Persons needing assistance in the application process may call the Human Resources Office, at 425-452-6838 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
At The City of Bellevue, you’ll be part of a team committed to providing exceptional customer service, upholding the public interest and being a part of the community vision. Our people bring unique skills and qualities to the table, embrace the values of honesty, accountability and commitment to service, and take pride in the work they do. You’ll work in an environment where being innovative, collaborative, and future focused are the status quo. Bellevue welcomes the world. Our diversity is our strength. It's what makes The City of Bellevue an exciting place to work, live, and explore.
Have we peaked your interest yet? Come join our team! All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national
origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
Bellevue is doing its part to reduce the spread of COVID-19 and remains committed to the health and safety of its employees. The work associated with this position may be performed remotely,either full-time or part-time, in compliance with the Governor’s Safe Start guidance. There maybe situations where the employee is required to physically report to City facilities. Employees reporting to work on-site need to follow safety precautions and procedures as required by the City.
The City of Bellevue is situated between Lake Sammamish and Lake Washington with the Cascades mountain range to the east and the Olympic mountains to the west offering breath-taking panoramic vistas. Bellevue is the East side’s major urban population center, and is the fifth largest city in Washington State. We are proud of our award winning city and the employees who help make it happen! The City of Bellevue is truly a culturally-enriched destination city to live,work and play! Apply online at
The City of Bellevue values diversity in its workforce and is an Equal Opportunity Employer that does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, sex, age, color, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, marital status, genetic information, veteran's status, disability, or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local laws.
APPLICATIONS MAY BE FILED ONLINE AT:
PO Box 90012
Bellevue, WA 98009
** Required Question **
Telemetry Technician-Lead Supplemental Questionnaire -
1. Why are you interested in this position? How does your previous experience make you a qualified candidate?
** Required Question **
Apply Online: https://agency.governmentjobs.com/bellevuewa/job_bulletin.cfm?jobID=3077478&sharedWindow=0 1/4
Location: Bellevue, WA
Application Method: Online: https://agency.governmentjobs.com/bellevuewa/job_bulletin.cfm?jobID=3077478&sharedWindow=0 1/4
Base Pay: $35.71 - $49.26 HR $6,190.54 - $8,538.92 MO, $74,286.48 - $102,467.04 YR