Highway Maintenance Worker 2 (In-Training) – Davenport & Ritzvill, WA
Salary: $39,528.00 - $58,260.00 Annually
Location: Lincoln County – Other, WA
Job Type: Full Time - Permanent
Department: Dept. of Transportation
Job Number: 21DOT-ER-60233m
Closing: 5/18/2021 11:59 PM Pacific
Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT) is the steward of an integrated, multimodal transportation system that helps to ensure people and goods move safely and efficiently throughout the state. In addition to building, maintaining, and operating the state highway system, WSDOT operates the largest ferry system in the nation, manages the world's longest floating bridge, and recently completed the world's widest tunneling project.
WSDOT is currently seeking to fill multiple Highway Maintenance Worker 2 positions in Davenport and Ritzville, WA. The selected candidates will assist with the area’s maintenance and repair of the state highways and highway structures to ensure the traveling public's safety. Some of the work includes asphalt and concrete maintenance, traffic control, repair and installation of guardrail and signs, as well as culvert and drainage maintenance. Working in the maintenance area requires responsible, safety-minded individuals to perform a variety of skilled labor tasks and operate highway equipment and tools. This opportunity is perfect for someone who enjoys working with their hands, knowing their work is done on roadways and in a variety of weather conditions.
What to Expect:
- These positions work a 4/10 schedule during most of the year, but will go to a 5/8 schedule for winter operations, with opportunity for overtime.
Among the varied range of responsibilities held within this role, you will:
- Perform general roadway maintenance activities such as:
- Asphalt and concrete pavement maintenance and repair.
- Drainage maintenance including catch basins, sedimentation facilities, and ditches.
- Erosion and slide repair.
- Sign maintenance and repair.
- Guardrail, fence, and impact attenuator installation and repair.
- Vegetation control, such as mowing or spraying.
- Highway debris removal, including danger tree removal.
- Perform maintenance and cleaning at the Safety Rest Areas, which includes janitorial work and basic plumbing repairs.
- Safely operate Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) Class A, B and C equipment including trucks up to 54,000 GVW equipped with various maintenance attachments.
- Perform winter snow and ice removal, which includes operating dump trucks and sanders, as well has hauling sand and gravel.
- Design and set-up of traffic control, which includes manually flagging traffic or signing for lane closures and operating attenuator/buffer truck.
- Perform maintenance and minor repair on equipment and hand tools which includes sharpening power saws and chains, washing vehicles, and greasing tools and equipment, etc.
- Act as a first responder to accident scene, spills, and other emergency situations.
- Lead and train others in the absence of the Highway Maintenance Worker 3.
- Assist in the safe cleanup and removal of unlawful dwellings.
- Effectively use radio, phone, computers, and electronic devices to communicate and document data.
- Negotiate rough and steep surfaces during the performance of job tasks.
- These are Highway Maintenance Worker 2 (HMW2) positions. However, the hiring manager reserves the right to fill the position at the lower level (HMW1 depending on qualifications), providing an opportunity for an individual to gain the required experience on the job as part of a formal “in-training” plan.
At a minimum, this opportunity requires:
- A valid Driver’s License, with the ability to obtain a Commercial Driver’s License within 12 months.
- At least one (1) year of experience performing highway maintenance, roadway construction, heavy equipment operations, or related experience such as the farming, timber operations, or construction.
- High school graduation or possession of a GED certificate, or equivalent.
- Experience being committed to safety including proper use of personal protective equipment.
- A current Flagger Card or ability to obtain within 12 months.
- Ability to work nights, weekends, holidays, and perform emergency call-outs/stand-by.
- Ability to relocate tools, equipment, and materials weighing up to 50lbs from one location to another in safe manner.
- Skills to communicate effectively with diverse groups utilizing oral, written, and electronic communication methods.
- History of demonstrating a positive attitude, professional behavior and stellar performance.
- Ability to report to the Davenport/Ritzville Maintenance Facility within 45 minutes for after hours call-outs.
To be considered for the highest level (HMW2) you must also have:
- A valid Class A Commercial Driver’s License with N endorsement without air brake restrictions with a current medical examiner’s certificate.
- At least (2) two years of experience performing highway maintenance, roadway construction, heavy equipment operations, or related experience such as the farming, timber operations, or construction.
It is preferred that qualified candidates also have:
A Class A or B Commercial Driver’s License at the time of hire.
These positions have been approved for in-training. The hiring manager is looking to hire at the Highway Maintenance Worker 2 level, however the in-training plan will allow candidates to be considered as a Highway Maintenance Worker 1, if not qualified at the higher level.
This recruitment will be used to fill five permanent positions that will report to the either the Davenport or Ritzville Maintenance Facility.
These positions are subject to the drug and alcohol testing requirements of the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMSCA). For more information, please go to DOT Drug & Alcohol Testing.
Work-Life Balance – We are committed to ensure that our staff experience the reward of public service, while also sustaining a routine that suits each individuals’ lifestyle. Employees in this position enjoy a standard daytime schedule, working Monday-Thursday, with three-day weekends.
Paid Leave – In addition to 10 paid holidays, full-time employees earn up to 25 paid vacation days per year!
Plan For Your Future – WSDOT offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes a variety of healthcare options. Employees also have their choice of state retirement programs, and much more. Go to State Benefits for more information.
Check out this video to learn more: Why WSDOT?
How to Apply:
Applications for this recruitment will be accepted electronically. Your relevant experience may be evaluated to determine salary. Therefore, it is very important that the “Work Experience” portion of the application be completed in as much detail as possible.
In order to be considered for this opportunity, please:
An attached Cover Letter that further explains your qualifications, and indicates why you believe you are a viable candidate for this role.
Contact details for a minimum three (3) individuals who can attest to your work performance, technical skills, and job-related competencies. This information can be entered in the “References” section of the online application; does not require an additional attachment.
Please click the "APPLY" button to proceed. Note that you will be prompted to either sign in or create an account. This step is required in order to submit an application to this opportunity.
WSDOT is an equal opportunity employer. We value the importance of creating an environment in which all employees can feel respected, included and empowered to bring unique ideas to the agency. Our diversity and inclusion efforts include embracing different cultures, backgrounds and viewpoints while fostering growth and advancement in the workplace. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons of disability, persons over 40 years of age, disabled and Vietnam era veterans, as well as people of all sexual orientations and gender identities are encouraged to apply. Persons with disabilities needing assistance in the application process, or those needing this job announcement in an alternative format may contact the listed Recruiter.
WSDOT does not use the E-Verify system. For more information, please visit www.uscis.gov
For inquiries about this posting, you may contact the assigned Recruiter, Rachel Giese – firstname.lastname@example.org. Please be sure to reference 21DOT-ER-60233m in the subject line.
Location: Davenport & Ritzvill, WA
Application Method: Online: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/washington/wsdot/jobs/3071531/highway-maintenance-worker-2-in-training-davenport-ritzville
Base Pay: $39,528 - $58,260 YR