DSHS BHA Information Technology Director
Salary: $128,856.00 - $138,679.00 Annually
Location: Thurston County – Olympia, WA
Job Type: Full Time - Permanent
Department: Dept. of Social and Health Services
Job Number: 2021-03870
Closing: 5/31/2021 11:59 PM Pacific
Executive IT Director:
Are you a skilled strategic and resilient technology leader with experience in driving innovation in a healthcare environment? If you are enthusiastic to lead modern service innovations that truly make a difference, keep reading.
Drive change with us and transform lives in the process. As an expert in multi-phase project planning, we need you to manage the development of our five-year IT strategic plan, guiding our executive leadership on the implementation of emerging technologies and planning the modernization of our information technology infrastructure and framework.
DSHS’s Behavioral Health Administration works to transform lives through dedication to the wellness of people, their families, and the community through behavioral health intervention, treatment, and education. Your role as IT Director in this mission is complex, yet significant. We need someone who is committed to helping us carry out the Governor’s plan for transforming behavioral healthcare in the state of Washington. Becoming a state government technology leader and modernizing our technology in-patient care is a major part of this initiative.
Our IT staff enables this work, driving innovations in health care areas such as electronic medication dispersal, electronic patient records, telework solutions, cloud computing, and even connecting patients with loved ones. We need your knowledge to grow our behavioral health IT infrastructure, which will include helping us build a roadmap for procurement, development, and implementation of IT solutions that align performance for success. The IT Director serves as the Chief Information Officer for the Administration, controls an annual budget of $8 million, and leads innovation across our organization to include our three major hospitals. Your strategic vision and the solutions your team of 65 information technology professionals provide will improve patient care, and enable the important work of our 4,200+ employees. We need a positive, hands-on professional who can drive innovation, then delegate and empower staff to eliminate security risks, ensure capacity planning, and oversee hardware, software, storage, and server systems, while increasing customer satisfaction.
Some of what you’ll do:
- Shape business unit strategy, high responsibility/accountability: Reporting to the BHA Assistant Secretary, responsible for our entire systems and network administration, IT security, developer, and technical teams
- Build relationships, manage business alliances/partnership: Serve as the main contact for BHA’s work involving the DSHS Enterprise Technology and coordinate efforts on behalf of BHA regarding IT work that spans all of DSHS
- Develop short and long-range budget needs for IT staff resources, software, hardware, and infrastructure
- Inclusively attract, develop, coach, & retain talent: Direct and support activities of 65 BHA IT staff stationed in Thurston, Pierce, and Spokane counties
- Provide project management oversight and technical assistance on key initiatives and follow through with project plans
- Direct the expansion of BHA’s IT Strategic Plan; determining the long-term strategy for the next five years of IT services
- Cultivate a customer-focused, collaborative culture: Establish reliable and repeatable software development lifecycle processes and ensure that - IT development and maintenance is responsive to business concerns and needs
- Chair the IT Leadership Team, and ensure that emerging risks and requirements are addressed
- Ensure compliance with all federal and state regulations which govern IT and access to data
- Participate as an IT leader in DSHS enterprise-wide initiatives and policy setting, as a member of the Enterprise Technology Steering Committee
This Leadership role will take a great deal of knowledge and learned IT skills consisting of:
- Information technology innovations and upgrades, system applications and techniques, production operating services, software application systems, information security and data privacy, customer technical support, return on investment analysis, and data management
- Hierarchical infrastructure of health care information systems, clinical systems, understanding and familiarity with mainstream healthcare IT product solutions
- The principles of organizational change management and management practices to include all aspects of project management, planning, budgeting, communicating, and team building
- A variety of IT contract negotiation and management of IT contracts
- Demonstrated success leading large, mission-critical, multi-phase development projects through the entire SDLC
- Both capital and operating budget development and management
- An in-depth understanding of hospital operations
- Participation in IT Governance structure or process
- IT Strategic Planning, including system migrations, multi-year program initiatives
Who should apply:
- Professionals with at least 10 years of progressively increasing management/leadership experience in information technology AND a Bachelor’s degree or higher involving major study in Information Technology/Computer Science, Medical or Healthcare Informatics, Business or - Public Administration, or closely allied fields (including coursework in Leadership, Law, Statistics, or Hospital Operations)
Preferred knowledge, skills, abilities:
- Graduate degree with a focus in Medical or Healthcare Informatics, Information Technology/Computer Science, Business or Public Administration
- Experience in a hospital setting
- Current Project Management Professional (PMP) certification from the Project Management Institute
- Certified Professional in Healthcare Information Management Systems (CPHIMS) from HIMSS or demonstrated equivalent experience
- Experience directing the implementation of an electronic medical records solution at a hospital of at least 300 beds or at a multi-hospital Integrated Delivery Network (IDN)
- High level of expertise in application data systems, data analysis, quality management, project management, budget and operations, systems design, cloud services, IT security
Applications will consist of the following:
- Your current chronological resume
- A cover letter describing your interest in this role, and your experience related to this job
- To learn more about the IT Director opportunity, DSHS, and BHA, click here to view the executive advertisement.
Questions? Contact Fred Melvin at Fred.Melvin@dshs.wa.gov and reference job number 03870.
Prior to a new hire, a background check including criminal record history may be conducted. Information from the background check will not necessarily preclude employment but will be considered in determining the applicant's suitability and competence to perform in the job. This announcement may be used to fill multiple vacancies. Employees driving on state business must have a valid driver's license. Employees driving a privately owned vehicle on state business must have liability insurance on the privately owned vehicle.
Washington State Department of Social & Health Services is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in any area of employment, its programs or services on the basis of age, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity/expression, marital status, race, creed, color, national origin, religion or beliefs, political affiliation, military status, honorably discharged veteran, Vietnam Era, recently separated or other protected veteran status, the presence of any sensory, mental, physical disability or the use of a trained dog guide or service animal by a person with a disability, equal pay or genetic information. Persons requiring accommodation in the application process or this job announcement in an alternative format may contact the Recruiter at (360) 725-5810. Applicants who are deaf or hard of hearing may call through Washington Relay Service by dialing 7-1-1 or 1-800-833-6384.
DSHS BHA Information Technology Director description image
E-Verify® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security
Location: Washington State
Application Method: Online: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/washington/jobs/3065630/dshs-bha-information-technology-director?keywords=BHA&pagetype=jobOpportunitiesJobs
Base Pay: $128,856 - $138,679 YR