Employer: The City of Yakima
Job Title: Waterworks Specialist I
Closing Date/Time: Mon. 04/19/21 4:00 PM Pacific Time
Salary: $20.09 - $24.11 Hourly, $3,482.27 - $4,179.07 Monthly
Job Type: Full-time
Location: Public Works: 2301 Fruitvale Blvd. Yakima, Washington
Overview and Minimum Class Requirements Benefits Supplemental Questions
"Working Together for Excellence" - Join our team of dedicated Waterworks Specialists in providing the Yakima community with a safe and reliable supply of drinking water.
The City of Yakima is a premier employer in the Yakima Valley with extensive opportunities for training and growth. The City offers a competitive benefit package including:
Comprehensive medical, dental and vision coverage i
FREE healthcare clinic!
WA State PERS pension plan
Employer contribution to 457 deferred compensation plan
Generous accruals for vacation and sick leave
- High school diploma or GED and six (6) months experience related to water system installation, repair and maintenance.
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS AND/OR CERTIFICATES:
Must possess and maintain a valid Washington State Driver's License. Must possess/obtain and maintain a Basic First Aid Certificate including CPR, Traffic Flagging Certificate, and Operator's Certificate from National Commission for the Certification of Crane Operators within six (6) months of appointment and a valid Class A Commercial Driver's License (CDL) with an air brake endorsement within nine (9) months of appointment. Certification as a Washington State Water Distribution Specialist or Water Distribution Manager is preferred.
Under general supervision, does skilled work in the installation, repair and maintenance of water services, water mains, valves and fire hydrants. Performs other related work as assigned.
Water Services: Makes street cuts using concrete saw, asphalt grinder and/or jackhammer. Assist with installing shoring or other safety measures including traffic signing and flagging. Selects tools and gathers materials required for pre-assembly and assembles materials for service connections. Assist in boring operations, taping water mains, laying service pipe and making meter connections; setting meters and installing meter tiles, lids, frost boards and automated meter read module. Assist with backfilling and compacting excavations using hand tools and powered compactors and hauling of fill material or hauling off spoil. Change meters, records serial numbers and meter readings, complete record of meter changes. Turns services on or off. Assists in making asphalt and concrete repairs in roadways, curbs and sidewalks and operating crane truck.
Fire Hydrants: Make street cuts using concrete saw, asphalt grinder and/or jackhammer. Assist with installing shoring or other safety measures including traffic signing and flagging. Selects tools and gathers materials required for pre-assembly and assembles materials for fire hydrant installations. Assist in taping water mains, laying pipe and installing valves, thrust restraints and fire hydrants. Respond to emergencies by removing broken hydrants and transporting or isolating hydrant. Disassembles and repairs hydrants in place and in shop. Assist with backfilling and compacting excavations using hand tools and powered compactors and hauling of fill material or hauling off spoil. Assists in making asphalt and concrete repairs in roadways, curbs and sidewalks and operating crane trucks.
Water Main Installation and Repair: Makes street cuts using concrete saw, asphalt grinder and/or jackhammer. Assist with installing shoring or other safety measures including traffic signing and flagging. Assist in taping water mains, laying pipe and installing valves, tees, bends, crosses and thrust restraints. Use pumps to remove water from excavations. Clean pipe and install repair bands or sleeves. Replace broken sections of pipe. Assist with backfilling and compacting excavations using hand tools and powered compactors and hauling of fill material or hauling off spoil. Assists in making asphalt and concrete repairs in roadways, curbs and sidewalks, and operating crane truck.
Preventative Maintenance: Participate in valve maintenance program by cleaning valve boxes with hand and power tools, adjusting valve box to grade and exercising valve. Assist with completing valve maintenance record. Participate in inspecting of pressure reducing valves and making adjustments, requires use of atmosphere testing equipment. Participate in water system flushing program by opening and closing valves and fire hydrants. Requires use of dechlorinating equipment, traffic signing and flagging.
May respond to questions from public concerning services and in emergencies; assists in stopping leaks in service lines or water mains.
Operates pick-ups, service vans, crane truck, fork lift and dump trucks in hauling pipe, tools, spoil, gravel, asphalt and materials to and from construction sites; use backhoe/loader and front-end loader to load dump trucks.
Requires regular and reliable attendance.
Performs other related duties as assigned.
Major Worker Characteristics:
- Basic knowledge of equipment and materials used in domestic water system installation, repair and maintenance.
- Ability to: record and report work performed; recognize abnormal operating conditions and select appropriate corrective action; read maps and blueprints of water distribution system. Ability to understand and safely perform flagging duties. .
- Ability to: use hand and power tools and to operate medium to heavy equipment ; perform routine and preventive maintenance; accurately read meters and gauges and detect faulty characteristics; identify and perform repairs needed; perform strenuous work and occasionally lift heavy objects; operate a personal computer, necessary mobile devises and other standard office equipment; read, research, understand and utilize equipment repair resources. Must maintain accurate logs and/or records; perform basic mathematical calculations efficiently and accurately; and troubleshoot and resolve issues effectively.
- Ability to work independently with self-direction; maintain sustained attention to detail and work under timeline pressures; prioritize; manage multiple tasks with competing deadlines. Strong mechanical and organizational skills are essential. Must possess ability to quickly adapt to changing priorities and demands.
- Must be able to communicate clearly and effectively, with employees, and members of the public representing diverse levels of education and background, utilizing effective communication skills, both written and oral, with appropriate use of English. Must maintain appropriate levels of confidentiality and discretion through all forms of communication.
- Ability to establish, facilitate, and maintain effective working relationships with other employees, other departments, and members of the public, continually demonstrate tact, diplomacy, and respect to individuals, groups and organizations representing a wide diversity of ethnicities, cultures, opinions, and beliefs. Ability to positively receive feedback and take direction is essential.
Works primarily outside. Sufficient physical ability to work in both office and field settings and to operate assigned equipment. Continuous use of both hands in reaching/handling/ grasping/fingering while performing duties operating on computers and other machinery. Regularly requires lifting or carrying up to 50 pounds; may occasionally be required to lift heavier weight with the assistance of others or mechanical devices up to 100 pounds (such as meter tile lids, valves, jackhammers). Regularly ascends/descends stairs and ladders while maintaining balance. Continuous use of all senses including feeling/talking/hearing/seeing while performing duties and while communicating with co-workers, general public and completing all tasks as assigned. Must be able to distinguish color and maintain long-term and short-term memory. May work at heights, confined spaces, alone, with others, or in noisy work area. Frequent bending/twisting at knees/waist/neck while performing mechanical repairs and maintenance items. Occasional kneeling/crouching/crawling while making repairs in confined spaces and awkward positions. May require constant moving, sitting, kneeling or standing for excessive periods of time. May work outside with all weather extremes, be exposed to insects, pollen, dust, asbestos cement pipe, mud, smoke, electrical hazards, drug paraphernalia noxious odors, fumes, or chemicals, solvents, oil, ink, construction debris, vibrations, and/or street traffic. Will be required to wear safety protective gear when necessary. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions.
UNUSUAL WORKING CONDITIONS:
May come in contact with upset or agitated customers. Shall be subject to random controlled substance and alcohol testing, pursuant to Department of Transportation (DOT) regulations, including 49 CFR Part 40 and Section 382 of the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations.
Location: Yakima, WA
Application Method: Online: http://agency.governmentjobs.com/yakimawa/default.cfm?action=viewJob&jobID=3036792&hit_count=yes&headerFooter=1&promo=0&transfer=0&WDDXJobSearchParams=%3CwddxPacket%20version%3D%271%2E0%27%3E%3Cheader%2F%3E%3Cdata%3E%3Cstruct%3E%3Cvar%20name%3D%27TRANSFER%27%3E%3Cstring%3E0%3C%2Fstring%3E%3C%2Fvar%3E%3Cvar%20name%3D%27CATEGORYID%27%3E%3Cstring%3E%2D1%3C%2Fstring%3E%3C%2Fvar%3E%3Cvar%20name%3D%27FIND%5FKEYWORD%27%3E%3Cstring%3E%3C%2Fstring%3E%3C%2Fvar%3E%3Cvar%20name%3D%27PROMOTIONALJOBS%27%3E%3Cstring%3E0%3C%2Fstring%3E%3C%2Fvar%3E%3C%2Fstruct%3E%3C%2Fdata%3E%3C%2FwddxPacket%3E
Base Pay: $20.09 - $24.11 HR, $3,482.27 - $4,179.07 MO