High School to Highways | Maintenance Worker (In-Training)
Salary: $3,294.00 - $4,855.00 Monthly
Location: Multiple Locations Statewide, WA
Job Type: Full Time - Permanent
Department: Dept. of Transportation
Job Number: 21DOT-H2H
Closing: 5/18/2021 11:59 PM Pacific
Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT) is the steward of an integrated, multimodal transportation system that helps to ensure people and goods move safely and efficiently throughout the state. In addition to building, maintaining, and operating the state highway system, WSDOT operates the largest ferry system in the nation, manages the world's longest floating bridge, and recently completed the world's widest tunneling project.
WSDOT is looking for enthusiastic career-minded individuals to join our dynamic Highway Maintenance teams to support the vast infrastructure across Washington State. WSDOT has coordinated with local Career and Technical Education (CTE) partners to blaze a career path for recent high school graduates looking to enter the workforce full-time. With “High School to Highways”, selected candidates are hired as an entry-level Highway Maintenance Worker (HMW), provided a formal on-the-job training plan, and paired with a mentor to coach and support them toward obtaining the experience and credentials needed to advance their career in Transportation. Successful completion of the training plan will result in a promotion to the next level within the job class series, and a minimum 5% pay increase!
This opportunity is perfect for someone who loves working outdoors, enjoys operating equipment, wants the challenge of maintaining or fixing huge public infrastructure, and can stand up to the rigors of working on roadways and roadsides in a variety of weather conditions. These team members will assist with the maintenance and operations of the state highways, and adjacent right of ways to assure they remain in a condition that promotes the movement of traffic, and safety to the motoring public.
What to Expect
Working in the maintenance area will require responsible, safety-minded individuals to accomplish assigned tasks and may require operating trucks as well as other heavy equipment. Additionally, these positions require a quick response time to job sites. Highway maintenance crews are ready 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Among the varied range of responsibilities held within this role, you will:
- Maintain roadways including pavement repair, drainage maintenance.
- Repair and replace guardrails and signs.
- Assist in removing unauthorized encampments of unsheltered people.
- - Assist in layout and set-up of traffic control, including setting up signage, manually flagging traffic, and operating attenuator/buffer truck.
- Removal of snow and ice during winter season.
- Maintain the property and roadside adjacent to the road.
- Maintain Storm Drainage.
- To be considered for this opportunity, the following are required:
- High school diploma or GED.
- Basic computer skills to communicate and retrieve information.
- The ability to obtain Flagger Certificate within six (6) months of hire.
- The ability to respond to emergency call outs, work different and/or extended shifts on short notice (days, nights, and weekends), and perform standby duty.
- The ability to manipulate and transport up to 50 pounds.
- Communicate effectively with diverse groups utilizing oral, written, and electronic communication methods.
- A valid driver’s license.
It is preferred that qualified candidates also have:
Washington State Pesticide Applicator’s License, or ability to obtain within twelve (12) months of hire.
Backflow Prevention Tester Certification, or ability to obtain within twelve (12) months of hire.
Possession of a Washington Class A Commercial Driver’s License, with N endorsement without airbrake restrictions within twelve (12) months or hire.
This recruitment will be used to fill multiple positions throughout the:
Northwest Region – Bellevue, Bellingham, Everett, Mount Vernon, and Seattle
Olympic Region – Aberdeen, Port Angeles, Port Orchard, and Tacoma
North Central Region – Wenatchee
Positions located in King County will receive a legislative approved 5% premium in addition to base salary.
These positions are subject to the drug and alcohol testing requirements of the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMSCA). For more information, please go to DOT Drug & Alcohol Testing.
These are in-training positions that offer a career path, hands-on learning, and mentorship. These positions allow you to progress upward through the Highway Maintenance Worker series and achieve the goal class of a Highway Maintenance Worker 2. Candidates will be considered for a Highway Maintenance Worker 1 or Highway Maintenance Worker 2, depending on their qualifications. Annual salary levels for each position are:
Highway Maintenance Worker 1: $39,528 - $47,844
Highway Maintenance Worker 2: $47,844 - $58,260
Work-Life Balance – We are committed to ensure that our staff experience the reward of public service, while also sustaining a routine that suits each individuals’ lifestyle.
Paid Leave – In addition to 10 paid holidays, full-time employees earn a minimum 14 paid vacation days per year!
Tuition Assistance – Permanent employees have several options for assistance with education expenses, including tuition reimbursement programs, government discounts at participating colleges throughout the state, and eligibility for federal student loan forgiveness.
Plan For Your Future – WSDOT offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes a variety of healthcare options. Employees also have their choice of state retirement programs, and much more. Go to State Benefits for more information.
Check out this video to learn more: Why WSDOT?
How to Apply:
- Applications for this recruitment will be accepted electronically. Your relevant experience may be evaluated to determine salary. Therefore, it is very important that the “Work Experience” portion of the application be completed in as much detail as possible.
- In order to be considered for these opportunities, please include the following with your online application:
- A formal Letter of Interest: This should be a 1 – 2 page letter that expresses your level of interest and why you believe you are a good fit for this opportunity.
Two (2) Letters of Recommendation from professional contacts who can speak to your character, work ethic, and readiness for this career opportunity. Professional contacts may include previous employers, teachers, coaches, or other non-relatives in similar roles.
- Please click the "APPLY" button to proceed. Note that you will be prompted to either sign in or create an account. This step is required in order to submit an application to this opportunity.
WSDOT is an equal opportunity employer. We value the importance of creating an environment in which all employees can feel respected, included and empowered to bring unique ideas to the agency. Our diversity and inclusion efforts include embracing different cultures, backgrounds and viewpoints while fostering growth and advancement in the workplace. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons of disability, persons over 40 years of age, disabled and Vietnam era veterans, as well as people of all sexual orientations and gender identities are encouraged to apply. Persons with disabilities needing assistance in the application process, or those needing this job announcement in an alternative format may contact the listed Recruiter.
WSDOT does not use the E-Verify system. For more information, please visit www.uscis.gov
For inquiries about positions located in the Northwest Region, you may contact the assigned Recruiter, Cori Shull at ShullCo@wsdot.wa.gov. For inquiries about positions located in North Central and Olympic Region, please contact Robyn Lovely at LovelyR@wsdot.wa.gov. Be sure to reference 21DOT-H2H in the subject line.
Location: Statewide, WA
Application Method: Online: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/washington/wsdot/jobs/3048144/high-school-to-highways-maintenance-worker-in-training?sort=PostingDate%7CDescending&pagetype=jobOpportunitiesJobs
Base Pay: $3,294 - $4,855 MO