Maintenance Mechanic 3
Salary: $4,627.00 - $5,361.00 Monthly
Location: Kittitas County – Ellensburg, WA
Job Type: Full Time - Permanent
Department: Dept. of Transportation
Job Number: 21DOT-SCR-50113
Closing: 4/18/2021 11:59 PM Pacific
Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT) is the steward of an integrated, multimodal transportation system that helps to ensure people and goods move safely and efficiently throughout the state. In addition to building, maintaining, and operating the state highway system, WSDOT operates the largest ferry system in the nation, manages the world's longest floating bridge, and recently completed the world's widest tunneling project.
WSDOT has an exceptional opportunity for a journey-level trades professional who is excited to take on a variety of tasks and serve as an all-around resource in facilities maintenance. The Maintenance Mechanic will perform skilled work in the operation, maintenance, repair, remodeling and construction of buildings and grounds. This position will also assist with the maintenance and operations of the state highways by performing a variety of skilled labor including repairing roadways and roadway shoulders, performing snow and ice removal, maintaining culverts and catch basins and providing traffic control for these operations. This individual must be able to think quickly and have the desire to conduct complete research, arriving at the best solution for repair work.
What to Expect:
Among the varied range of responsibilities held within this role, you will:
- Performing preventive and corrective maintenance on all facility buildings in assigned area.
- Install, maintain, and repair on heating, ventilation, lighting, plumbing, and drainage systems.
- Repair and install windows, doors, screens, floors, floor coverings, and painted surfaces.
- Perform maintenance and repair at the Safety Rest Areas.
- Drive trucks, operate man-lifts, operate a wide variety of hand and power tools to complete work assignments.
- Assist with winter snow and ice removal.
- Radio tower building maintenance which includes inspections, preventative and corrective maintenance.
- Estimate repairs costs of aging facilities or damaged facilities.
- Maintain ditches, culverts, catch basins, bridge drains and culvert markings.
- Accident scene cleanup, traffic control, guardrail and cable rail repair, sign repair, fence repair, graffiti removal from structures.
- To be considered for this opportunity, the following are required:
- Commercial Driver's License Class A, with Endorsement N without air brakes and a current medical card.
- Demonstrate a basic knowledge of heavy equipment used for road maintenance.
- Command the skills to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Skills to enter data on computer as this position is required to capture work completion and associated labor tracking via a PC or iPad.
- Must have temperament to deal with the general public on a daily basis and must be able to maintain a positive working relationship with supervisor, coworkers, and customers.
- Ability to work at elevated heights greater than 8 ft.
- Ability to relocate tools, equipment, and materials weighing up to 50lbs from one location to another.
- Ability to be available 24/7 to work day or night in adverse weather conditions and respond to non-scheduled, call-out emergent work activities as needed.
It is preferred that qualified candidates also have:
- High school graduation or possession of a GED certificate.
- At least 2 years of experience working in a skilled trade related to the construction field including carpentry, framing, siding, roofing, concrete flat work or minor electrical and plumbing.
- Journey-level and semi-skilled work in a variety of disciplines.
- Knowledge of wells and pumping systems.
- Ability to write estimates and draw and read plans for construction of facilities.
- This position is subject to the drug and alcohol testing requirements of the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMSCA). For more information, please go to DOT Drug & Alcohol Testing.
- Work-Life Balance – We are committed to ensure that our staff experience the reward of public service, while also sustaining a routine that suits each individuals’ lifestyle.
- Paid Leave – In addition to 10 paid holidays, full-time employees earn up to 25 paid vacation days per year!
- Tuition Assistance – Permanent employees have several options for assistance with education expenses, including tuition reimbursement programs, government discounts at participating colleges throughout the state, and eligibility for federal student loan forgiveness.
- Plan For Your Future – WSDOT offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes a variety of healthcare options. Employees also have their choice of state retirement programs, and much more. Go to State Benefits for more information.
Check out this video to learn more: Why WSDOT?
How to Apply:
- Applications for this recruitment will be accepted electronically. Your relevant experience may be evaluated to determine salary. Therefore, it is very important that the “Work Experience” portion of the application be completed in as much detail as possible.
- In order to be considered for this opportunity, please include the following with your online application:
- An attached Resume outlining (in reverse chronological order) your experience to date.
- An attached Cover Letter that further explains your qualifications and indicates why you believe you are a viable candidate for this role.
- Contact details for a minimum three (3) individuals who can attest to your work performance, technical skills, and job-related competencies. This information can be entered in the “References” section of the online application; does not require an additional attachment.
Please click the "APPLY" button to proceed. Note that you will be prompted to either sign in or create an account. This step is required in order to submit an application to this opportunity.
WSDOT is an equal opportunity employer. We value the importance of creating an environment in which all employees can feel respected, included and empowered to bring unique ideas to the agency. Our diversity and inclusion efforts include embracing different cultures, backgrounds and viewpoints while fostering growth and advancement in the workplace. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons of disability, persons over 40 years of age, disabled and Vietnam era veterans, as well as people of all sexual orientations and gender identities are encouraged to apply. Persons with disabilities needing assistance in the application process, or those needing this job announcement in an alternative format may contact the listed Recruiter.
WSDOT does not use the E-Verify system. For more information, please visit www.uscis.gov.
For inquiries about this posting, you may contact the assigned Recruiter, Rachel Giese at GieseR@wsdot.wa.gov. Please be sure to reference 21DOT-SCR-50113 in the subject line.
Location: Ellensburg, WA
Application Method: Online: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/washington/wsdot/jobs/3043219/maintenance-mechanic-3
Base Pay: $4,627 - $5,361 MO