ITS Transportation Systems Technician
Salary: $69,224.00 - $84,306.00 Annually
Location: King County - Seattle - Central Area, WA
Job Type: Full Time - Permanent
Department: Dept. of Transportation
Job Number: 21DOT-NWR-10617
Closing: 4/25/2021 11:59 PM Pacific
Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT) is the steward of an integrated, multimodal transportation system that helps to ensure that people and goods move safely and efficiently throughout the state. In addition to building, maintaining, and operating the state highway system, WSDOT operates the largest ferry system in the nation, manages the world's longest floating bridge, and recently completed the world's widest tunneling project.
WSDOT has an opportunity for a skilled Transportation System Technician with a strong background in electronics, fiber optics and fire controls and suppression systems to work on the I-90 Tunnels and Washington State Convention Center (WSCC). Working as part of a team, the Technician will perform sophisticated maintenance, repair and testing of complex electronics, fiber optic and fire control and suppression systems for the I-90Tunnels and Washington State Convention Center (WSCC). As such we are looking for an individual that is technically focused, innovative, and enjoys new challenges.
What to Expect:
Among the varied range of responsibilities held within this role, the ITS Transportation System Technician will:
- Install, repair, maintain and respond to malfunctioning ITS and electronic equipment.
- Maintain, troubleshoot, installs and repairs panel wiring, power supplies, building and roadway fire systems and suppression controls, HVAC systems, security systems, photo eyes, emergency telephone systems, fire extinguishers, carbon monoxide monitors, circuit boards, video monitors and recorders, and fiber optic and network devices.
- Ensure the operational readiness of the I-90 Tunnels and Washington State Convention Center (WSCC), by assisting with planning work activities.
- Maintain spare part and tool inventory to ensure availability.
- Use electronic devices to draft correspondence, research information, and manage job assignments.
- Operate various gas, propane, and electrical support equipment such as man lifts, forklifts, bucket trucks, and electric carts.
- Occasionally operate motor vehicle and CDL equipment to perform work, including traffic control and snow & ice operations.
To be considered for this opportunity, the following are required:
- High School Diploma or GED
- Current Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) Class B or the ability to obtain within six (6) months of employment.
- Four (4) years’ experience in electronics, IT network services, fire systems, fire suppression systems or building controls systems.
In addition to:
- Ability to read, interpret, and follow operational manuals, blueprints, and written correspondence.
- Ability to lift and transport in excess of 50lbs with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Ability to work next to highway traffic in a variety of weather conditions, including heat, cold, and inclement weather, negotiating steep, rough, and uneven terrain, working in confined spaces at heights above 100 ft. over land or water performing maintenance and repairs.
- Ability to inspect, maintain, troubleshoot, and repair a variety of electrical and electronic systems.
It is preferred that qualified candidates also have:
- Washington State Flagging Card
- Certifications such as FA1 or NICET
- Five (5) years of experience working on electrical, electronics, fiber optics, control systems, and related components.
- The information provided on your application profile, any supplemental material attached to your application, and the responses to the supplemental questions will be used to determine qualifications for interview selection. Therefore, it is to your advantage that your application packet be completed in as much detail as possible.
- WSDOT will provide in-house CDL training for the selected candidate.
- The scheduled shift for this position is Monday – Thursday, 06:00am – 04:30pm. However, this position requires the ability
- The listed salary includes the Legislative approved King County Premium.
- This position is subject to the drug and alcohol testing requirements of the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMSCA). For more information, please go to DOT Drug & Alcohol Testing.
- Work-Life Balance – We are committed to ensure that our staff experience the reward of public service, while also sustaining a routine that suits each individuals’ lifestyle. As such, there are a number of flexible schedule options available to staff, including occasional telework for eligible positions.
- Paid Leave – In addition to 10 paid holidays, full-time employees earn a minimum 14 paid vacation days per year!
- Plan For Your Future – WSDOT offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes a variety of healthcare options, and free dental coverage! Employees also have their choice of state retirement programs, and much more. Go to State Benefits for more information.
- Tuition Assistance – Our employees have several options for assistance with education expenses, including tuition reimbursement programs, government discounts at participating colleges throughout the state, and eligibility for federal student loan forgiveness.
- Check out this video to learn more: Why WSDOT?
How to Apply:
- Applications for this recruitment will be accepted electronically. Your relevant experience may be evaluated to determine salary. Therefore, it is very important that the “Work Experience” portion of the application be completed in as much detail as possible. In order to be considered for this opportunity, please include the following with your online application:
- An attached Resume outlining (in reverse chronological order) your experience to date.
- An attached Cover Letter that further details your qualifications, and indicates why you believe you are a viable candidate for this role.
- Contact information to be included in the “References” section of the online application for a minimum three (3) individuals who can attest to your work performance, technical skills, knowledge base, and job-related competencies.
Please click the "APPLY" button to proceed. Note that you will be prompted to either sign in, or create an account. This step is required in order to submit an application to this opportunity.
WSDOT is an equal opportunity employer. We value the importance of creating an environment in which all employees can feel respected, included and empowered to bring unique ideas to the agency. Our diversity and inclusion efforts include embracing different cultures, backgrounds and viewpoints while fostering growth and advancement in the workplace. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons of disability, persons over 40 years of age, disabled and Vietnam era veterans, as well as people of all sexual orientations and gender identities are encouraged to apply.
WSDOT does not use the E-Verify system. For more information, please visit www.uscis.gov
For inquiries about this posting, you may contact the assigned Recruiter, Eric Saniatan, at SaniatE@wsdot.wa.gov. Please be sure to reference 21DOT-NWR-10617 in the subject line.
Persons with disabilities needing assistance in the application process, or those needing this job announcement in an alternative format may contact the listed Recruiter.
Location: Seattle, WA
Application Method: Online: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/washington/wsdot/jobs/3040153/its-transportation-systems-technician
Base Pay: $69,224 - $84,306