Highway Maintenance Worker Positions – Traffic Control
Salary: $39,528.00 - $58,260.00 Annually
Location: Clark County – Vancouver, WA
Job Type: Full Time - Permanent
Department: Dept. of Transportation
Job Number: 21DOT-SWR-41375m
Closing: 4/20/2021 11:59 PM Pacific
Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT) is the steward of an integrated, multimodal transportation system that helps to ensure people and goods move safely and efficiently throughout the state. In addition to building, maintaining, and operating the state highway system, WSDOT operates the largest ferry system in the nation, manages the world's longest floating bridge, and recently completed the world's widest tunneling project.
WSDOT is seeking to fill three Highway Maintenance Workers positions within the Work Zone Traffic Control Crew out of Vancouver, WA. The selected candidates will work on a crew responsible for performing traffic control, third party damage repair, thermos-plastic, and asphalt paving and patching. While reporting to the Vancouver Maintenance Facility, you will work throughout the Southwest Region, which often requires travel with overnight stays. We are looking for self-motivated individuals who are mechanically inclined and enjoy the outdoors. We are in need of a wide variety of skilled, hardworking people to fill these positions.
What to Expect
This position works a 4/10 schedule, Monday-Thursday, with opportunity for overtime. Among the varied range of responsibilities held within this role, you will:
- Conduct all types of traffic control operations in accordance with the MUTCD, M54-44.01.
- Operate programmable message board trailers, truck mounted attenuators, road warriors, and pick-up trucks with message boards.
- Set up all signs, cones, barrels, robotic flagging stations, work lights and generators as needed for the different types of traffic control.
- Perform maintenance activities including but not limited to third party damage repair, thermo-plastic, asphalt paving & patching.
- Perform general roadway maintenance activities such as:
- Asphalt and concrete pavement maintenance and repair.
- Drainage maintenance including catch basins, sedimentation facilities, and ditches.
- Erosion and slide repair.
- Sign maintenance and repair.
- Guardrail, fence, and impact attenuator installation and repair.
- Conduct snow and ice operations.
- Chemically and manually control vegetation.
- Learn, contribute, and participate in a strong culture of safety in the workplace; Actively participate in daily pre activity safety plans, tailgate safety meetings, and monthly safety meetings.
- Assist with lane blocking incidents, natural and major events as necessary by establishing traffic control, this includes: providing input to other agencies, collecting information at the scene, and notifying regional radio traffic conditions.
- Effectively use radio, phone, computers, and electronic devices to communicate and document data.
- Negotiate rough and steep surfaces during the performance of job tasks.
- Respond to call out emergency’s day, night, weekends and holidays as needed.
We are currently filling three positions: one (1) Highway Maintenance Workers 1 and two (2) Highway Maintenance Worker 2 positions. Depending on your qualifications, you may be considered for either position.
Required qualifications for a Highway Maintenance Worker 1:
- A valid driver’s license.
- At least (1) one year of experience performing construction, maintenance activities, or comparable work in a related field such as traffic control, timber operations, or heavy equipment operations.
Required qualifications for a Highway Maintenance Worker 2:
- A CDL Class A or the ability to obtain within 6 months of employment.
- Have more than (2) two of experience performing construction, maintenance activities, or comparable work in a related field such as traffic control, timber operations, or heavy equipment operations.
In addition to the above qualifications, candidates are also required to have the following at either level:
- A high school diploma or GED equivalent.
- The ability to travel to locations outside of the Vancouver area, including overnight stays and extended working hours.
- Ability to report in service to assigned duty station, within 45 minutes of an after-hours call.
- Ability to work nights, weekends, holidays, and perform emergency call-outs/stand-by.
- Basic computer skills to receive and send email, use the Internet, and enter information into computer programs, forms and mobile technology devices.
- Ability to lift and transport objects weighing up to 50 pounds in safe manner.
- Skills to communicate effectively with diverse groups utilizing oral, written, and electronic communication methods.
Preferred qualifications include:
- A Class A CDL.
- Possession of a valid traffic control/flagging card.
- Two years of experience performing traffic control on multi-lane, high speed, highways.
- Two years as a Highway Maintenance Worker 1 or comparable work experience.
- Knowledge of the surrounding area.
These positions are subject to the drug and alcohol testing requirements of the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMSCA). For more information, please go to DOT Drug & Alcohol Testing.
- Work-Life Balance – We are committed to ensure that our staff experience the reward of public service, while also sustaining a routine that suits each individuals’ lifestyle. Employees in this position enjoy a standard daytime schedule, working Monday-Thursday, with three-day weekends.
- Paid Leave – In addition to 10 paid holidays, full-time employees earn up to 25 paid vacation days per year!
- Plan For Your Future – WSDOT offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes a variety of healthcare options. Employees also have their choice of state retirement programs, and much more. Go to State Benefits for more information.
Check out this video to learn more: Why WSDOT?
How to Apply:
- Applications for this recruitment will be accepted electronically. Your relevant experience may be evaluated to determine salary. Therefore, it is very important that the “Work Experience” portion of the application be completed in as much detail as possible.
- In order to be considered for this opportunity, please:
- Include contact details for a minimum three (3) individuals who can attest to your work performance, technical skills, and job-related competencies. This information can be entered in the “References” section of the online application.
Please click the "APPLY" button to proceed. Note that you will be prompted to either sign in or create an account. This step is required in order to submit an application to this opportunity.
WSDOT is an equal opportunity employer. We value the importance of creating an environment in which all employees can feel respected, included and empowered to bring unique ideas to the agency. Our diversity and inclusion efforts include embracing different cultures, backgrounds and viewpoints while fostering growth and advancement in the workplace. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons of disability, persons over 40 years of age, disabled and Vietnam era veterans, as well as people of all sexual orientations and gender identities are encouraged to apply. Persons with disabilities needing assistance in the application process, or those needing this job announcement in an alternative format may contact the listed Recruiter.
WSDOT does not use the E-Verify system. For more information, please visit www.uscis.gov
For inquiries about this posting, you may contact the assigned Recruiter, Rachel Giese – email@example.com. Please be sure to reference 21DOT-SWR-41375m in the subject line.
Location: Vancouver, WA
Application Method: Online: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/washington/wsdot/jobs/3040161/highway-maintenance-worker-positions-traffic-control
Base Pay: $39,528 - $58,260 YR