DEPARTMENT OF THE INTERIOR
Interior, US Fish and Wildlife Service
Open & closing dates: 04/12/2021 to 04/22/2021
Pay scale & grade: WG 8
Salary: $21.36 to $33.32 per hour
Appointment type: Permanent
Work schedule: Full-time
MANY vacancies in the following locations:
- Hanalei, HI
- Hilo, HI
- Kahuku, HI
- Cambridge, MD
- Show fewer locations (5)
- Newington, NH
- Basking Ridge, NJ
- Indiahoma, OK
- Corvallis, OR
- Long Beach, WA
Relocation expenses reimbursed: Yes You may qualify for reimbursement of relocation expenses in accordance with agency policy.
Telework eligible: No
This job is open to: The public
U.S. citizens, nationals or those who owe allegiance to the U.S.
Clarification from the agency: U.S. Citizens, CTAP
Announcement number: MR-21-11080001-BL-DE
Control number: 597701500
This position is a Maintenance Worker, WG- 4749-8 working in one of the nine locations listed above.
This position is also open to status candidates under announcement MR-21-11081973-BL-MP. You must apply to each announcement separately if you wish to be considered under both recruitment methods.
Learn more about this agency -
Responsibilities: Great American Outdoors Act Strike Force.
The Great American Outdoors Act is a program formed in 2020 to reduce the maintenance backlog across the US Fish and Wildlife Service. Hired as part of a Strike Force, these positions will work alongside current Service staff to complete infrastructure projects such as levee reconstruction, facility repairs, and building demolition.
These projects are in many locations, thus a significant amount of the incumbent's time will be spent traveling for multiday to projects across the contiguous U.S., Alaska, and Hawaii. Additionally, these positions will be required to sign a mobility agreement, with the intention of potentially moving these positions to other vacancies in the Service once the project work is complete.
As a Maintenance Worker your duties will include but are not limited to the following:
- Operate heavy equipment within accepted parameters (e.g., narrow quarters, such as close to buildings, drop-offs or other obstructions and challenging field conditions such as marshy, unsteady or steep surfaces).
- Operate a tractor with attachments such as mowers, cutter bars, augers, plows, harrows, sprayers, discs, front-end scoops, and backhoes.
- Clean, replace, or make minor adjustment to such parts as fuel, electrical, brakes, steering, regulators, water/fuel pumps, carburetors, cooling systems or attachments to vehicles or heavy equipment.
- Check flow output in irrigation or water transportation systems, adjusting valves as needed to ensure proper distribution of water, quantity of water needed, delivered, or the duration of delivery.
- Use carpentry power and hand tools such as hammers, hand and power saws, drills, planes, routers, sanders, and nail guns, using safety rules/regulations/ procedures to safeguard tools and equipment.
- Operate and maintain heavy motorized equipment (e.g. front-end loader, forklift, dump truck, farm agricultural tractor and implements, rubber tired backhoe/ loader, skid steer, excavator, bulldozer, road grader) and other pieces of equipment as needed for project activities.
- Apply shop mathematics, use measuring tools or instruments, follow oral and written instructions, use drawings, sketches, schematics, blueprints, etc. to determine work procedures and details of work layout.
- Lay out the installation, modification, or repair of systems for example: wiring systems in buildings, power and control circuits, and distribution panels.
Travel Required: 75% or less - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Supervisory status: No
Promotion Potential: None
Conditions of Employment:
- Must be a U.S. Citizen or National.
Individuals assigned male at birth after 12-31-59 must be registered for the Selective Service. To verify registration visit SSS.gov.
- Resume and supporting documents (See How to Apply).
- Suitability for employment, as determined by background investigation.
- Drug Testing Position: Selectees tentatively selected for this position will be required to submit to urinalysis to screen for illegal drug use prior to appointment.
- Driver's License: Selectees must possess and maintain a valid State driver's license at all times during their tenure.
- Uniform: Official U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service uniform is required.
- Probationary Period: Selectees may be required to successfully complete a probationary period.
- You may be required to work other than normal duty hours, which may include evenings, weekends, and holidays.
- You may travel greater than 50% of the time on official travel.
- You will sign a mobility agreement.
- Must have the ability to obtain and maintain a valid commercial driver's license (CDL) within six months of the start date.
By the closing date of this announcement, you must meet the requirements of the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) Handbook X118C, Job Qualification System for Trades and Labor Occupation.
Although no specific amount of experience, education or training is required, applicants must meet a minimum level of ability in relation to the position and the Assessment Questionnaire in order to be rated qualified for consideration. To be qualified candidates must meet any screen out element(s) listed at an "acceptable" level, and must achieve an average rating of at least "acceptable" on all of the elements. Only education, training, or experience acquired before the closing date of this announcement will be considered.
There is no substitution of education for experience for Wage Grade (WG) positions.
Telework: This position is suitable for telework on in an emergency or natural disaster.
Permanent Change of Station (PCS): PCS authorized excluding home sale; discretionary benefits are not authorized.
Additional Vacancies:One or more positions may be filled from applications received under this announcement in the advertised office or other U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service offices in the local commuting area.
Salary Pay table link for duty stations: https://www.dcpas.osd.mil/BWN/AFWageSchedules/
Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP) or Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP):CTAP or ICTAP applicants must be determined to be well-qualified for this position in order to receive special selection priority. To be well-qualified, a CTAP or ICTAP applicant must meet the following: OPM qualification requirements for the position, all selective factors, where applicable; special OPM approved qualifying conditions for the position; is physically qualified with reasonable accommodation, where appropriate, to satisfactorily perform the duties of the position upon entry; and receives a rating of at least 85 on the questionnaire. . For more information visit: OPM's Employee Guide to Career Transition
Shared Certificates: Applicants who apply under this job opportunity announcement agree to have their application, associated documents and applicable personal information shared with other Bureaus/Offices within the Department of the Interior (DOI) who have vacancies with the same occupational series, grade, full performance level and in the same geographic location(s). Applying to this announcement does not replace the need to apply to other job opportunity announcements for which you wish to receive consideration.
How You Will Be Evaluated:
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications outlined above.
Once the announcement has closed, a review of your resume and supporting documentation will be used to determine whether you meet the qualification requirements listed on this announcement. If you meet the qualifications your resume and supporting documentation will be compared against your responses to the assessment questionnaire to determine your level of experience. Note: If, after reviewing your resume and supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications which resulted in you being listed in the highest quality category, you may lose consideration, or be assigned to a lower quality category for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully when applying, errors or omissions may affect your eligibility.
Your qualifications will be evaluated on the following job elements:
- Knowledge of Equipment Assembly, Installation, Repair, etc.
- Use of Measuring Instruments
- Ability To Use and Maintain Tools and Equipment
- Operation of Motor Vehicles
- Ability To Interpret Instructions, Specification, etc. (includes blueprinting reading)
- All qualified candidates will be assigned to a quality category. The category assignment is a measure of the degree in which your background matches the competencies required for this position. The category ratings for this position are: Best Qualified, Well Qualified, and Qualified
The category rating process protects the rights of veterans by placing them ahead of non-preference eligibles within each quality category. Veterans' preference eligibles who meet the qualification requirements and who have a compensable service-connected disability of at least 10 percent will be listed in the highest quality category (except in the case of scientific or professional positions at the GS-09 level or higher).
Background checks and security clearance: Security clearance
Drug test required: Yes
Position sensitivity and risk: Non-sensitive (NS)/Low Risk
Trust determination process: Suitability/Fitness
You must submit a complete application package. We will not make assumptions about your experience and/or education.
1. Resume: You are highly encouraged to use USAJOBS Resume Builder to ensure all required information is included in your Resume. If you use your own resume, curriculum vitae, or any other written form you choose then you must describe your job-related qualifications that includes beginning and ending dates for paid and non-paid work experience, hours worked per week, month and year of employment for each job title listed, annual salary, and description of job duties. Include name and address of employer; supervisor name and telephone number. Additional information on what to include can be found here. Your experience needs to address every required qualification.
Additional Documentation, if applicable:
1. Cover Letter
2. Veterans' Preference Documentation: If you are a veteran with preference eligibility and you are claiming 5-point veterans' preference, you must attach a copy of your DD-214 Member Copy 2 or 4 showing you were honorably discharged. If you are claiming 10-point veterans' preference, you must attach an SF-15, Application for 10-Point Veterans' Preference in addition to the proof required by that form (i.e. VA letter). You may not be awarded preference if you do not attach the correct Veteran Documentation as specified above.
3. CTAP/ICTAP Documentation: If you are applying under CTAP or ICTAP, you MUST submit proof of eligibility under 5 CFR 330.602(a) for CTAP and 5 CFR 330.704 for ICTAP. This includes a copy of the agency notice, a copy of your most recent performance rating, and a copy of your most recent SF-50 (Notification of Personnel Action) showing your position, grade level, and duty location. Please annotate your application to reflect that you are applying as a CTAP or ICTAP eligible
Failure to submit any of the above-mentioned required documents may result in loss of consideration due to an incomplete application package. It is your responsibility to ensure all required documents have been submitted
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Opens in a new windowLearn more about federal benefits.
Review our benefits:
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
Review the appointment eligibility criteria in the application preview linked below: The eligibility section of the application allows you to choose how you wish to be considered for this vacancy announcement. You will ONLY be considered for the eligibilities that you select "yes" to and submit the required supporting documentation, as listed in the Required Documents section or the application text.
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package. See required documents section.
Click 'Apply' to create an account or log in to your existing USAJOBS account.
Follow the prompts to complete the assessment questionnaire and upload required documents. To preview the assessment questionnaire, click https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/11080001.
Please ensure you check the acknowledgement checkbox then click the Submit Application button to submit your application.
Applications must be received by 04/22/2021, 11:59pm ET to receive consideration.
Check application status by logging into your USAJOBS account, in Applications tab, click the position title you applied to for the status. For information on what each Application Status means, visit: https://www.usajobs.gov/Help/how-to/application/status/.
If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application: https://help.usastaffing.gov/Apply/index.php?title=Alternate_Application_Information.
Agency contact information: Bobby Livingston
Division of Human Resources
5275 Leesburg Pike
Falls Church, VA 22041
Once you submit all the required documents and the online application in USAJOBS, you will receive an acknowledgement email that your submission was successful. After the evaluation process is complete, you will be notified of your status and/or referral to the hiring official. If further evaluation or interviews are required, you will be contacted by the hiring official.
You will be notified if this job is filled or canceled. Timelines for this process vary widely.
You may check the status of your application at any time by logging in to your USAJOBS account as we will not be responding to inquiries about the status of applications as long as the system has been updated.
Location: Various Locations
Application Method: Online: https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/597701500#
Base Pay: $21.36 to $33.32 HR