Employer: Central Washington University
Maintenance Mechanic 1 - Building Repair & Maintenance
Job ID: 3964
Location: Ellensburg, WA
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
This position assists with and works in the fields of plumbing, steam fitting, pipefitting, and the mechanical trades with emphasis on plumbing, HVAC, and/or fire system maintenance, testing or inspection. May work independently or with others. This position is involved with the installation, repair and maintenance of all plumbing, piping, and mechanical equipment on the campus. This position is responsible for preventive maintenance on heating, ventilating and mechanical equipment as assigned. This position will assist in the maintenance and repair of underground utilities including steam, chilled water, domestic water, sewer and storm drain systems. This position is responsible for performing preventative maintenance along with operational trouble shooting and repair of steam and hot water boilers. Duties could include the cleaning, and painting of mechanical equipment and mechanical spaces. Work is performed professionally and efficiently, incorporating both personal integrity and mutual respect. All employees are expected to support CWU’s commitment to diversity and to bring and support inclusion into the university environment.
Perform general maintenance, repair of heating and air conditioning systems in large public buildings. Work may include but not limited to:
- Effectively communicate and maintain positive working relations with faculty, staff, students, and the campus community as well as FMD management team. Perform work in a manner that provides excellent service with nominal to no inconvenience or disruption for the client. Perform quality work that meets or exceeds the expectation and satisfaction of the client.
- Perform work using Best Practices while maintaining compliance with applicable laws, policies, and procedures to provide a safe workplace.
- Adjust, maintain, repair, and install heating and air conditioning systems in large public buildings.
- Assist in the install and repair of heating boilers in buildings, re-pipe complex systems: i.e., boiler chemical feed lines, steam and condensate lines, domestic and heating water lines
- Assist in the installation of backflow prevention assemblies and systems, heat exchangers, air compressors, steam, hydraulic or air pressure regulators, steam valves, steam traps, large coils in air ducts.
- Install or repair rotating equipment: i.e., fans, pumps and gear or belt driven assemblies.
- Perform and document regularly scheduled preventative maintenance tasks on mechanical systems and heating and ventilation equipment as assigned.
- Regularly inspect, repair, and maintain backflow prevention devices.
- Maintain necessary backflow certification to perform necessary testing to maintain required standards.
- May clean and paint mechanical equipment and mechanical spaces
- Perform preventative maintenance along with operational trouble shooting and repair of steam and hot water boilers
- Assist in the installation and, remodel and repairing of sinks, disposals, showers, toilets, urinals, tubs, including waste and vent drainage systems, supply systems including lay-out, measuring, cutting, and installing plumbing.
- Drain cleaning with water jetter and sewer snake.
- Assist in the maintenance and repair of underground utilities including steam, chilled water, domestic water, sewer, and storm drain systems
- Respond in emergency situations.
- Ensure all tools, equipment and vehicle are maintained in good working order.
- Keep all work areas clean, well-organized, and safe at all times. Attend departmental meetings, safety meetings and actively participate in training sessions.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Extensive experience in one or more of the following: general maintenance, preventative maintenance, plumber, pipefitter, steamfitter, or residential plumber.
- Strong communication skills.
- Valid Washington State driver’s license.
- Must be able to communicate utilizing two-way radio system.
- Experience using Word, Excel, e-mail, and/or similar software applications to produce written correspondence, documentation, create simple reports, receive, and respond to e-mail inquiries, report time, etc.
- Ability to follow written and verbal instructions and communicate both orally and in writing in a clear and professional manner.
- Demonstrated willingness and/or experience working with students and/or co-workers from a wide range of abilities, backgrounds, and experiences.
- OR applicable combination of education and/or experience which demonstrates the ability to perform the essential functions of the position.
- State of Washington journey level or specialty (residential) plumbers license
- Working experience in heating, ventilating systems
- Washington State Backflow Assembly Tester License.
- Mechanical equipment maintenance experience (millwright)
- Ability to incorporate multicultural perspectives and issues into everyday conversations.
- Life experiences that demonstrate an ability to contribute to CWU‘s commitment to inclusion and diversity.
- Perform our Best: Interact daily with faculty, students, staff and others in the campus community in a professional manner. Treat others and be treated with respect; perform with integrity, honesty and professionalism; participate constructively in open communication; help to resolve issues and difficult situations in ways that reduce conflict and maintain good working relationships; improve work performance and take an active part in generating a mutually supportive environment. Recognize that diversity is an asset and value cultural, physical and professional differences.
- Accountability/Dependability: Accepts responsibility for quality of own work; acknowledges and corrects mistakes. Shows up on time, meets standards, deadlines and work schedules.
- Judgement: Makes timely, informed decisions. Analyzes options and determines appropriate course of action.
- Teamwork: Promotes cooperation and mutual support to achieve goals. Encourages participation and mutual support.
- Adaptability/Flexibility: Responds positively to changing business needs and responsibilities. Adapts approach and methods to achieve results; recovers quickly from setbacks and finds alternatives.
- Commitment to Diversity: Recognizes the value of diversity and helps create environment that supports and embraces diversity.
Pay, Benefits, & Work Schedule
Salary: $3,987 /month with periodic increases up to $4,509 /month
Schedule/Appointment: Monday - Friday, 8:00am-5:00pm (1 hour lunch) (May vary depending on needs of the department) / WFSE Bargaining Unit 1
Working Conditions: This position may work indoors and outdoors, at times in hot/cold/noisy/dirty/wet/confined areas such as mechanical rooms, manholes and excavations, and may need to physically access work areas with the equipment and tools necessary for completion of the job. This often requires standing/crawling/bending/ walking/climbing while carrying/pulling/pushing/lifting associated with equipment or tools up to 50 pounds. Occasional overtime is required, and shift work may be required. May need to drive a service vehicle in congested areas. Utilize and wear appropriate personal protection devices such as respirators, ear protection, and eye and face protection and fall protection.
Scheduled hours and days off may vary depending on the needs of the department. May be required to work weekends, evenings, and holidays. This position is subject to unplanned overtime including emergency call back situations. Occasional travel may be required. The incumbent will work outdoors, including working in inclement weather during daylight and dark hours. In addition, this position will work with and be exposed to machinery, tools, electrical equipment. Will work around all utilities during excavations, maintenance and installations and be exposed to insects that may be in the environment. Must maintain awareness of immediate vicinity to recognize, respond to and/or avoid potentially hazardous conditions/ surroundings. Must possess dexterity of hands and fingers to operate tools, materials, and equipment necessary to perform functions of the job. This position is considered an essential position and availability will be required to respond to University emergencies.
Benefits: CWU offers a comprehensive benefits package including medical and dental insurance, retirement and optional savings plans, life and disability insurance, along with vacation and sick leave plans depending on employment classification. For additional information please visit: https://www.cwu.edu/hr/benefits
An employee of CWU may be eligible for the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program if the employee has student loans. To learn more, visit: https://ofm.wa.gov/state-human-resources/public-service-loan-forgiveness-program.
How To Apply:
To apply for this position, you must complete the on-line application and attach:
- A detailed cover letter clearly demonstrating how your education and experience: (a) meet the required (and, as applicable, preferred) qualifications, and (b) demonstrate the ability to perform the responsibilities as described by the posting
- Resume including work history, education, and training
Screening Begins: April 13, 2021
**Priority will be given to applications received by the screening date. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Name: Virgil Logan
Title: Maintenance Specialist 5
Website: CWU Website
Please contact Human Resources at email@example.com or 509-963-1202 if you require technical assistance with the on-line application process.
Conditions of Employment
Prior to employment, final candidate(s) will be required to sign a Sexual Misconduct disclosure in pursuant to RCW 28B.112.080 and submit to a background check. All information obtained through background investigations will be strictly confidential and revealed only to those required to have access.
This position is part of a Washington Federation of State Employees Bargaining Unit I.
Location: Ellensburg, WA
Application Method: Online: https://careers.cwu.edu/psc/careers/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM_FL.HRS_CG_SEARCH_FL.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST_FL&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=1&JobOpeningId=3964&PostingSeq=1&
Base Pay: $3,987 MO