US Department of the Interior
Salary: $24.17 - $33.21 an hour
Job Type: Full-time
This position is a Maintenance Mechanic, WG- 4749-9 working in for the one of the six listed locations.
Information link to duty locations information:
This position is also open to status candidates under announcement MR-21-11073626-BL-MP. You must apply to each announcement separately if you wish to be considered under both recruitment methods.
As a Maintenance Mechanic your duties will include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Performs non-supervisory maintenance and repair work on grounds, exterior structures, buildings, and related fixtures and utilities on the hatchery.
- Constructs, repairs or modifies building structures and related facilities such as finished paneling, doors, windows, rafters where accuracy, spacing, and fit are essential and structural soundness and appearance are important.
- Performs maintenance, repairs, and tests new and existing electrical lines, circuits, alarm systems, fixtures, controls, pumps, thermocouple sensors, geothermal heating and cooling, and other equipment.
- Performs repairs on components and assemblies such as engines, transmissions, and differentials on motor vehicles, generator(s) and other equipment.
- Operates various pieces of equipment to maintain grounds, facilities, water intakes, parking, roads, and raceways.
- Operates various equipment to maintain hatchery. Operations entail working on steep slopes, muddy/soft ground, and surrounded by other obstacles such as fences and water control structures.
- Operates agricultural tractors, backhoe, front-end loaders, skid steers, excavators or other heavy equipment. Such operation entails working on steep slopes, rocky or soft ground, or surrounded by other terrain obstacles.
- Performs a variety of welding activities with all types of commonly used metals and alloys, utilizing a wide variety of welding methods and equipment.
- Implements an Intergraded Pest Management system. Controls invasive species and vegetation along roads, fields, facilities, and ditches, etc., with the use of chemical and mechanical methods.
- Keeps written maintenance records for all equipment operated. Keeps equipment logbooks up-to-date at all times.
- Assist with the care and spawning of hatchery fish.
Travel Required: Occasional travel - Occasional travel for training and certifications.
Supervisory status: No
Promotion Potential: None
Job family (Series): 4749 Maintenance Mechanic
Conditions of Employment
- Must be a U.S. Citizen or National.
- Individuals assigned male at birth after 12-31-59 must be registered for the Selective Service. To verify registration visit SSS.gov.
- Resume and supporting documents (See How to Apply).
- Suitability for employment, as determined by background investigation.
- Drug Testing Position: Selectees tentatively selected for this position will be required to submit to urinalysis to screen for illegal drug use prior to appointment.
- Medical Requirements: Selectees must pass a pre-employment medical examination and may be subject to post-employment medical examinations to determine if they are maintaining the fitness standards for this position.
- Driver's License: Selectees must possess and maintain a valid State driver's license at all times during their tenure.
- Uniform: Official U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service uniform required.
- Probationary Period: Selectees may be required to successfully complete a probationary period.
- Commercial Drivers License (CDL): Selectees must have the ability to obtain and maintain a valid CDL at all times during their tenure.
- Work Schedule: Selectees must be able to work nights, weekends, and holidays on occasion.
- Emergency Response: Selectees must respond to alarms on the evenings and weekends, as assigned. Alarm must be responded to within 15 minutes.
By the closing date of this announcement, you must meet the requirements of the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) Handbook X118C, Job Qualification System for Trades and Labor Occupation.
Although no specific amount of experience, education or training is required, applicants must meet a minimum level of ability in relation to the position and the Assessment Questionnaire in order to be rated qualified for consideration. To be qualified candidates must meet any screen out element(s) listed at an "acceptable" level, and must achieve an average rating of at least "acceptable" on all of the elements. Only education, training, or experience acquired before the closing date of this announcement will be considered.
There is no substitution of education for experience for Wage Grade (WG) positions.
NOTE TO APPLICANTS:
Please read and follow the instructions in the "Required Documents" section on what is required in your resume in order to qualify for this position.
This position is suitable for telework only in an emergency or natural disaster.
Limited location PCS Authorized:
PCS is Authorized only for Humptulips, Washington and Quilcene, Washington. PCS will not be offered for any other location.
One or more positions may be filled from applications received under this announcement in the advertised office or other U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service offices in the local commuting area.
Salary for each location:
Humptulips, WA $28.46 to $33.21
Leavenworth, WA $28.46 to $33.21
Quilcene, WA $28.46 to $33.21
Underwood, WA $26.41 to $30.79
Longview, WA $26.41 to $30.79
Winthrop, WA $24.17 to $28.21
Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP) or Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP):CTAP or ICTAP applicants must be determined to be well-qualified for this position in order to receive special selection priority. To be well-qualified, a CTAP or ICTAP applicant must meet the following: OPM qualification requirements for the position, all selective factors, where applicable; special OPM approved qualifying conditions for the position; is physically qualified with reasonable accommodation, where appropriate, to satisfactorily perform the duties of the position upon entry; and receives a rating of at least 85 on the questionnaire. . For more information visit: OPM's Employee Guide to Career Transition
Shared Certificates: Applicants who apply under this job opportunity announcement agree to have their application, associated documents and applicable personal information shared with other Bureaus/Offices within the Department of the Interior (DOI) who have vacancies with the same occupational series, grade, full performance level and in the same geographic location(s). Applying to this announcement does not replace the need to apply to other job opportunity announcements for which you wish to receive consideration.
How You Will Be Evaluated:
- You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
- You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications outlined above.
- Once the announcement has closed, a review of your resume and supporting documentation will be used to determine whether you meet the qualification requirements listed on this announcement. If you meet the qualifications your resume and supporting documentation will be compared against your responses to the assessment questionnaire to determine your level of experience. Note: If, after reviewing your resume and supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications which resulted in you being listed in the highest quality category, you may lose consideration, or be assigned to a lower quality category for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully when applying, errors or omissions may affect your eligibility.
Your qualifications will be evaluated on the following job elements:
Ability to interpret instructions, drawing, specifications, and blueprints.
Knowledge of the theories, methods, and techniques used in carpentry, plumbing, electricity, and welding.
Ability to troubleshoot malfunctions using numerous testing techniques and test equipment from the mechanical trade area.
Ability to use and maintain hand tools and equipment from the mechanical, electrical, welding, and carpentry trades.
Knowledge of different welding techniques and the properties of various metals and skill in metal welding and fabrication.
Ability to operate various types of light and heavy trucks, wheeled and tracked engineering and construction equipment.
Ability to use computers to access databases, spreadsheets, and word documents to track maintenance schedules and collect data.
Ability to communicate orally and in writing to inform supervisor of issues with equipment and facility.
All qualified candidates will be assigned to a quality category. The category assignment is a measure of the degree in which your background matches the competencies required for this position. The category ratings for this position are: Best Qualified, Well Qualified, and Qualified
The category rating process protects the rights of veterans by placing them ahead of non-preference eligibles within each quality category. Veterans' preference eligibles who meet the qualification requirements and who have a compensable service-connected disability of at least 10 percent will be listed in the highest quality category (except in the case of scientific or professional positions at the GS-09 level or higher).
Background checks and security clearance -
Security clearance: Other
Drug test required: Yes
Position sensitivity and risk: Non-sensitive (NS)/Low Risk
Trust determination process
You must submit a complete application package. We will not make assumptions about your experience and/or education.
1. Resume: You are highly encouraged to use USAJOBS Resume Builder to ensure all required information is included in your Resume. If you use your own resume, curriculum vitae, or any other written form you choose then you must describe your job-related qualifications that includes beginning and ending dates for paid and non-paid work experience, hours worked per week, month and year of employment for each job title listed, annual salary, and description of job duties. Include name and address of employer; supervisor name and telephone number. Additional information on what to include can be found here. Your experience needs to address every required qualification.
Additional Documentation, if applicable:
1. Cover Letter
2. Veterans' Preference Documentation: If you are a veteran with preference eligibility and you are claiming 5-point veterans' preference, you must attach a copy of your DD-214 Member Copy 2 or 4 showing you were honorably discharged. If you are claiming 10-point veterans' preference, you must attach an SF-15, Application for 10-Point Veterans' Preference in addition to the proof required by that form (i.e. VA letter). You may not be awarded preference if you do not attach the correct Veteran Documentation as specified above.
3. CTAP/ICTAP Documentation: If you are applying under CTAP or ICTAP, you MUST submit proof of eligibility under 5 CFR 330.602(a) for CTAP and 5 CFR 330.704 for ICTAP. This includes a copy of the agency notice, a copy of your most recent performance rating, and a copy of your most recent SF-50 (Notification of Personnel Action) showing your position, grade level, and duty location. Please annotate your application to reflect that you are applying as a CTAP or ICTAP eligible
Failure to submit any of the above-mentioned required documents may result in loss of consideration due to an incomplete application package. It is your responsibility to ensure all required documents have been submitted
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Opens in a new windowLearn more about federal benefits.
Review our benefits:
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
This job is open to:
U.S. citizens, nationals or those who owe allegiance to the U.S.
Clarification from the agency:
U.S. Citizens, CTAP
Location: Six different locations
Application Method: Online: https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/597135200#
Base Pay: Humptulips, WA $28.46 to $33.21, Leavenworth, WA $28.46 to $33.21, Quilcene, WA $28.46 to $33.21, Underwood, WA $26.41 to $30.79, Longview, WA $26.41 to $30.79, Winthrop, WA $24.17 to $28.21