Highway Maintenance Worker 2 | Kent (Night Shift)
Salary: $55,020.00 - $66,999.00 Annually
Location: King County – Kent, WA
Job Type: Full Time - Permanent
Department: Dept. of Transportation
Job Number: 21DOT-NWR-A4Night
Closing: 4/4/2021 11:59 PM Pacific
Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT) is the steward of an integrated, multimodal transportation system that helps to ensure that people and goods move safely and efficiently throughout the state. In addition to building, maintaining, and operating the state highway system, WSDOT operates the largest ferry system in the nation, manages the world's longest floating bridge, and recently completed the world's widest tunneling project.
WSDOT is looking for multiple enthusiastic career-minded individuals who want to make a difference and join our dynamic team at our Lake Geneva Facility near Kent, supporting the vast transportation infrastructure of Northwest Washington. This opportunity is perfect for someone who loves working with their hands, knowing their work is done on roadways and roadsides in a variety of weather. The successful candidates will perform a variety of skilled tasks including repairing roadways and roadway shoulders, maintaining culverts and catch basins, removing debris, operating snow removal equipment, and providing traffic control for these operations. This team member will assist with the maintenance and operations of the state highways, and adjacent right of ways to assure they remain in a condition that promotes the movement of traffic, and safety to the motoring public.
Working in the maintenance area will require responsible, safety-minded individuals to accomplish skilled tasks that require operating trucks and various other highway and heavy equipment. These positions require a quick response time to job sites. Highway maintenance crews are ready 24 hours a day, seven days a week. By taking on this role, you are serving a key and vital function to the State of Washington.
- What to Expect -
Among the varied range of responsibilities held within this role, the Highway Maintenance Worker 2 will:
- Perform journey-level highway, roadside, infrastructure, and right-of-way maintenance and repair tasks.
- Operation of Class A Highway equipment on a regular basis to maintain state roadways and highways, performing maintenance repairs on equipment and hand tools. May be required to operate Class B and C level equipment on as needed basis.
- Design and set up traffic control operations, as well as full road or bridge closures according to departmental and MUTCD standards.
- Install and repair guardrail and end sections and remove dangerous and hazardous debris from roadways.
- Removal of snow and ice during winter season.
- Assist in assembling, installing, and replacing signs, sign components and signposts.
- Act as a first responder to accidents and emergency scenes, and respond to emergency call outs and/or work overtime on short notice (days, nights, holidays, and weekends).
- Participate and carry out the Department's safety program.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Qualifications -
To be considered for this opportunity, the following are required:
- High School Diploma or GED
- Current Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) Class A with endorsement N and without air brakes restriction and no transmission restrictions, and valid medical card.
- Two (2) years of experience performing highway maintenance, logging, farming, excavation, heavy equipment, or equivalent.
In addition to:
- Ability to respond to emergency call outs, work nights, work different and/or extended shifts on short notice (days, nights, and weekends), and perform standby duty.
- Ability to lift and transport up to 50lbs with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Ability to work in all weather conditions including confined spaces, uneven terrain, and next to fast high volume highway traffic.
- Ability to operate heavy equipment, and hand and power tools.
- Basic computer skills to communicate and retrieve information.
- Ability to work at heights above 25 feet over land or water while performing maintenance tasks.
Interpersonal skills to communicate effectively with diverse groups utilizing oral, written, and electronic communication methods.
It is preferred that qualified candidates also have:
- Washington State Traffic Control/Flagging Card
- Washington State Pesticide Applicator’s License
- Backflow Prevention Tester Certification
- Crane Certificate
Important Notes :
The listed salary includes the Legislative approved King County Premium and Assignment Pay. This position also qualifies for Night Differential pay, but it is not calculated into the listed salary.
The assigned work schedule for these positions is Night Shift (8:00 PM – 06:30 AM). However, these positions require the ability to respond to emergency call outs, work nights, work different and/or extended shifts on short notice (days, nights, and weekends), and perform standby duty.
This first review of applications will be on March 22nd and candidate selection may take place at any time thereafter. It is to your advantage to apply as soon as possible.
Travel throughout the assigned duty area is required of these positions. Some regional and statewide travel may be required to attend meetings or participate in trainings.
This position is subject to the drug and alcohol testing requirements of the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMSCA). For more information, please go to DOT Drug & Alcohol Testing.
Work-Life Balance – We are committed to ensure that our staff experience the reward of public service, while also sustaining a routine that suits each individuals’ lifestyle.
Paid Leave – In addition to 10 paid holidays, full-time employees earn a minimum 14 paid vacation days per year!
Plan For Your Future – WSDOT offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes a variety of healthcare options, and free dental coverage! Employees also have their choice of state retirement programs, and much more. Go to State Benefits for more information.
Tuition Assistance – Our employees have several options for assistance with education expenses, including tuition reimbursement programs, government discounts at participating colleges throughout the state, and eligibility for federal student loan forgiveness.
Check out this video to learn more: Why WSDOT?
How to Apply :
Applications for this recruitment will be accepted electronically. Your relevant experience may be evaluated to determine salary. Therefore, it is very important that the “Work Experience” portion of the application be completed in as much detail as possible. In order to be considered for this opportunity, please include the following with your online application:
When completing your online application, ensure to outline (in reverse chronological order) your Work Experience in detail to date.
An attached Cover Letter that further details your qualifications, and indicates why you believe you are a viable candidate for this role.
Contact information to be included in the “References” section of the online application for a minimum three (3) individuals who can attest to your work performance, technical skills, knowledge base, and job-related competencies.
Please click the "APPLY" button to proceed. Note that you will be prompted to either sign in, or create an account. This step is required in order to submit an application to this opportunity.
WSDOT is an equal opportunity employer. We value the importance of creating an environment in which all employees can feel respected, included and empowered to bring unique ideas to the agency. Our diversity and inclusion efforts include embracing different cultures, backgrounds and viewpoints while fostering growth and advancement in the workplace. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons of disability, persons over 40 years of age, disabled and Vietnam era veterans, as well as people of all sexual orientations and gender identities are encouraged to apply.
WSDOT does not use the E-Verify system. For more information, please visit www.uscis.gov
For inquiries about this posting, you may contact the assigned Recruiter, Eric Saniatan, at SaniatE@wsdot.wa.gov. Please be sure to reference 20DOT-NWR-A4Night in the subject line.
Persons with disabilities needing assistance in the application process, or those needing this job announcement in an alternative format may contact the listed Recruiter.
Location: Kent, WA
Application Method: Online: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/washington/wsdot/jobs/3006004/highway-maintenance-worker-2-kent-night-shift
Base Pay: $55,020 - $66,999 YR