Employer: CIty of St. Petersburg
Plant Maintenance Mechanic Apprentice Job: IRC52085
Job Title: Plant Maintenance Mechanic Apprentice
Organization Name: Water Resources Department - COSME
Maximum Salary: 26.33
This is semi-skilled and limited skilled manual work in an established apprenticeship program involving the repair and maintenance of instrumentation, electrical, hydraulic and mechanical treatment and pumping systems in water and wastewater plants and facilities at the Cosme Water Plant in Northwest Hillsborough County and the pumping stations located in St. Petersburg. Work involves training under the supervision of journeyman level employees in the maintenance and repair of equipment such as motors, pumps, conveyors, aerators, compressors, gearboxes, blowers, and electrical system devices including switchgears, breakers, AC control systems, transformers, variable speed controllers and instrument system devices such as transmitters, controllers, recorders, I/O devices, AC and DC control logic and telemetry systems. This apprenticeship program is sanctioned by the State of Florida Department of Education, Division of Career and Adult Education, and requires the successful completion of on the job and classroom training, generally over a four (4) year period, under provisions of the City of St. Petersburg IJW Apprenticeship Program for Maintenance Mechanic (Plant). This opportunity is open to those who have not completed an apprentice program in this field and who have not achieved journeyman level certification in this field. Due to the critical responsibilities of this classification, an employee in this class must be able to report to work outside of normally scheduled work hours to respond to emergency conditions and/or address urgent needs, at the discretion of management.
Salary: $18.59 - $26.33 Hourly
Close Date: 03-19-2021 (11:59 PM DST)
Minimum Qualifications. Applicants must:
- Possess a high school diploma or GED equivalency.
- Possess and continue to maintain a valid State of Florida Class "B" Commercial Driver's License (CDL) - or - at the time of application, must possess a Class "B" temporary permit and obtain and continue to maintain the Class "B" license within five and one half (5 ½) months of appointment to the position.
- Be able to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Be able to communicate clearly and concisely orally and in writing.
- Be able to maintain accurate and detailed records.
- Be able to input information into a computer terminal following written instructions.
- Acknowledge this position is designated as Emergency Critical (EC) and if hired into the position, an applicant must be immediately available to the department before, during, and after a declared emergency and/or disaster.
Desirable Qualifications. Preferred applicants:
- Have supplemented their education through technical training with related course work in mechanical and electrical systems.
- Have progressive work experience performing electrical or mechanical installations and repairs.
- Have some knowledge of methods, techniques, materials, supplies and tools necessary for the maintenance, alteration and repair of mechanical, electrical and/or electronic systems used in water and wastewater distribution and treatment facilities or the commitment and desire to learn these skills through the four (4) year apprentice program.
Selection Process -
IMPORTANT APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS:
For purposes of employment, re-employment, promotion, transfer or demotion, the most qualified applicants will be selected to continue in the hiring process. At this point, any prior criminal records will be verified. A prior criminal record will not necessarily disqualify a selected applicant from employment.
The City of St. Petersburg is committed to a Drug Free Workplace and compliance with the Department of Transportation (DOT) drug testing rules. Applicants may be required to successfully complete pre-employment drug testing and/or medical exams.
How To Apply:
Apply online at www.stpete.org/jobs - Select Apply for Jobs/Register/View Job Postings. City employees must use the Current City Employee link or use a City computer to access iRecruitment Employee Candidate. The City of St. Petersburg is committed to affirmative action and equal opportunity employment, and encourages individuals with disabilities and veterans to apply for posted positions. In accordance with Chapter 295 of the Florida Statutes, qualified servicemembers/veterans and the spouses/family members of certain servicemembers/veterans receive preference/priority in employment. Eligible applicants are responsible to apply for Veterans’ Preference at the time of submission of any job application. Reasonable accommodations may be made for qualified individuals with disabilities to apply, to interview for positions and to perform the essential job functions.
Location: Odessa, FL, US
Minimum Salary: 18.59
Amount of Travel: Work At Home
Location: Odessa, FL
Application Method: Online: https://athena.stpete.org/OA_HTML/OA.jsp?page=/oracle/apps/irc/candidateSelfService/webui/VisVacDispPG&akRegionApplicationId=821&transactionid=876400636&retainAM=Y&addBreadCrumb=S&p_svid=52085&p_spid=1752005
Base Pay: $18.59 - $26.33