Employer: Yakima Housing Authority
The Onsite Manager is responsible for oversight of the daily operations of Yakima Veterans
Housing, a supportive housing and service center for veterans. General responsibilities include,
among others, housing residents, maintaining tenant records and performing routine landlord
duties appropriately under the rules and regulations set by various affordable housing programs
including the Family Housing/Low Rent Program, the Section 8 Program (Housing Choice
Vouchers), housing for the homeless, veterans, farmworkers, the elderly, and the disabled.
Reviewing applications for potential residents, applying established criteria for residents
qualifications, renting units, collecting rents and deposits, overseeing use of community room or
other shared facilities, coordinating property maintenance, investigating and resolving tenant
complaints and issues, preparing necessary reports, and supervision of onsite services.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
Review tenant applications for eligibility; maintain waiting lists; show available units.
• Follows Yakima Housing’s procedures for processing eligible applicants within the
program guidelines attached to the property. Ensure that all new move-in files are
complete, accurate, and orderly.
• Attends training as needed and recommended by Yakima Housing Authority. This
training may require overnight stays out of town.
• Walks property at least twice per/day (once in the morning and once in the evening)
to assure residents of management presence and to monitor the overall
appearance of the property.
• Attends regular in-house training and informational meetings.
• Ensures that vacant units are “turned” in the fastest possible time by monitoring
timeliness of vendors and maintenance staff. Walks vacant unit daily to monitor
• Keeps property vacancy loss to a minimum by processing multiple applicants
simultaneously upon receipt of notice of intent to vacate by current resident.
• Distributes rent bills and collects rents for submittal to Yakima Housing Authority
accounting department. Works with Yakima Housing accounting staff to facilitate
smooth accounting procedures.
• Completes, acquires, and processes in an efficient and timely manner all required
forms, documentation and other relevant paperwork required for tenant occupancy.
Outlines and explains conditions and terms of occupancy with new residents.
• Completes and timely submits required weekly reports, monthly reports, ticklers
and compliance reports.
• Cooperates with compliance staff in timely submission of requested information for
audits, inspections, and annual reports for lenders and regulatory agencies.
• Instructs residents in emergency procedures, appliance use, and property rules.
• Investigates tenant complaints and resolves tenant issues, prepares written
incident reports, serves tenant warning notices, 3-Day notices, 10-Day Notices, and
30-Day Notices, appears in eviction proceedings, and maintains a daily Managers
• Shows vacant units and applies approved marketing strategies to reduce vacancy
• Conducts annual unit inspections and walk through of vacated units assessing any
damage, cost of repairs, and arranges turnover repairs. Prepares security deposit
refund statements and submits to the Yakima Housing Authority housing
department for disbursement in accordance with lease provisions.
• Works in cooperation with the Yakima Housing Maintenance Supervisor, schedules
maintenance staff, engages subcontractors in repairing plumbing or electrical
malfunctions, painting of apartments or buildings, and maintaining landscaping or
gardening work, and prepares maintenance work orders for all maintenance work
to be performed.
• Provides local information for available nearby VA services, recreational facilities,
and public transportation.
• Oversees, coordinates, and maintains calendar of events and users for multipurpose rooms.
• Works in cooperation with onsite services and Care Coordinator staff.
• Complies with the requirements of federal, state, and local laws, regulations,
contracts, and grants applicable to YHA’s housing programs including, federal fair
housing laws and landlord/tenant laws.
• Ensures that YHA’s rules and policies are adhered to and appropriately enforced
at all times.
• Protects the privacy of all client related information; keeps a strict confidentiality of
YHA business both while at work and during off duty hours.
• Performs other duties as required.
Knowledge and Abilities
• Commitment & enthusiasm towards achieving Yakima Housings Mission Statements.
• Demonstrated ability to manage and work cooperatively and effectively with a diverse
group of people.
• Strong oral and written communication skills.
• Strong time management skills and ability to multi-task.
• Self-starter and ability to work with minimal supervision.
• Demonstrated ability to create, maintain, and manage records with efficiency and
attention to detail.
• Demonstrated ability to collect and precisely account for tenant security deposits and
• Experience managing a large apartment complex and/or subsidized housing experience
• Experience and understanding of the administration of Section 8 (Housing Choice
• Experience and ability to demonstrate proficiency in Tax Credits, which is essential for
successfully managing the project.
• Working knowledge of computer software and systems: Excel, Word, Windows and
• Ability to read and interpret rental agreements, government regulations, and budgets.
• Ability to write effective business correspondence.
• Ability to effectively communicate information and respond to questions from groups and
Possession of a valid Washington State Driver’s License, a good driving record, and automobile
insurance per requirements of the State of Washington.
Additional licenses or certifications may be required. It is the employer’s responsibility to ensure
the appropriate licenses/certifications are obtained for this position.
High school diploma or GED; AND at least one year of experience property management, real
estate, case management, social services, or similar field; AND experience working with
veterans and military families; AND the ability to perform the work.
Location: Yakima, WA
Application Method: Email
Base Pay: DOQ