Employer: City of Yakima
Job Title: Street Maintenance Worker
Closing Date/Time: Mon. 03/15/21 4:00 PM Pacific Time
Salary: $18.76 - $22.52 Hourly
$3,251.73 - $3,903.47 Monthly
Job Type: Full-time
Location: Public Works: 2301 Fruitvale Blvd. Yakima, Washington
Overview and Minimum Class Requirements:
The City of Yakima Streets Division is dedicated to the health, safety and welfare of our citizens by providing street surface preservation, maintenance, repairs, snow and ice control, and other seasonal service programs to nearly 400 miles of public streets and 44 miles of alleys! If you are ready for a new career serving your community, apply today!
The City of Yakima is a premier employer in the Yakima Valley with extensive opportunities for training and growth. The City offers a competitive benefit package including:
• Comprehensive medical, dental and vision coverage
• FREE healthcare clinic!
• WA State PERS pension plan
• 1% contribution to a 457 deferred compensation plan
• Generous accruals for vacation and sick leave
• Much more!
High school diploma, GED, or equivalent and six (6) months flagging, construction (preferably roadway, concrete, or earthwork/excavation), or other related manual labor experience.
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS AND/OR CERTIFICATES:
Must possess and maintain a valid Washington State Driver’s License, a valid Commercial Driver's License (CDL) is preferred. Must possess and maintain a Basic First Aid CPR Certificate, Traffic Flagging Certificate, and forklift operator certification within six (6) months of appointment. Must obtain a Commercial Driver's License (CDL) with a Class A endorsement as required by State regulations and CDL Tanker endorsement prior to successful completion of the twelve (12) month probation.
Under general supervision, assists in maintaining streets, sidewalks, alleys, drainage systems and vegetation using light to medium construction equipment and hand and power tools; performs related work as required.
- Breaks concrete and asphalt during the construction and repair of streets, sidewalks, drains, etc. Cleans and assists in the reconstruction of drains and siphons. Uses jackhammer, hand tools and trucks to remove and replace asphalt, concrete and drainage system components; operates light and medium duty trucks to plow snow, spread gravel, sand and/or salt to snow and/or ice on streets at specified rates; transport materials, traffic control devices, or miscellaneous equipment; mower, and other equipment appropriate to the class as assigned. Compacts asphalt using vibrator roller, hand lute and other hand tools to contour, and level hot mix or other compact asphalt materials. Uses steel wheel and rubber tire roller to compact and prepare base for streets and operates the same during placing and finishing asphalt, chip seals and gravel streets.
- Controls traffic at work site using cones, barrels, barricades, signs, flags and hand signals.
- Prunes vegetation in accordance with accepted pruning practice using chain saw pruning tools; removes trees and uses brush hog to grind pruning into chips; removes vegetation to correct clear view triangle problems, and vegetation affecting public facilities. Empties and cleans litter containers; removes litter, debris and dirt from sidewalks and curbs and responds to police calls to clean accident scenes.
- May guide and monitor small crews in completing work tasks including but not limited to leaf removal, litter pick up, and/or vandalism repairs.
- Provides continuous effort to improve operations, decrease turnaround times, streamline work processes, and work cooperatively and jointly to provide quality customer service.
- Shift work may be required periodically or as a regular schedule.
- Requires regular and reliable attendance.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Major Worker Characteristics:
- Knowledge of materials; pruning procedures; construction methods; traffic control procedures; and equipment capabilities used in street and related maintenance operations. Knowledge of safe techniques and procedures for the appropriate use of materials, hand tools, power tools, and equipment necessary for street repair and maintenance,
- Knowledge and ability to direct traffic utilizing proper flagging processes and procedures. Ability to recognize traffic hazards and other potential safety concerns.
- Ability to operate vehicles and attachments; equipment and tools with precision, speed, and safety. Ability to perform strenuous physical work.
- Must be able to communicate clearly and effectively, with employees and members of the public representing diverse education and background, utilizing well developed communication skills, both written and oral, with appropriate use of English, including but not limited to correct grammar and vocabulary. Ability to follow verbal and written instruction.
- Must be dependable; able to work independently with limited supervision and as a team player; be self-directed, highly motivated, organized and skilled at meeting deadlines; have a sense of urgency to complete tasks in a timely manner. Must possess ability to quickly adapt to changing priorities and demands.
- Ability to establish, facilitate, and maintain effective working relationships with other employees, contractors and other members of the public, and to consistently and continually demonstrate tact, diplomacy, and respect to individuals, groups and organizations representing a wide diversity of ethnicities, cultures, opinions, and beliefs. Ability to positively receive feedback and take direction is essential. Must demonstrate an attitude of cooperation and coordination of division efforts and efficient use of resources.
- Ability to consistently work safely and in compliance with the federal, state and local regulations, laws, policies and standards.
- Ability to respond to emergency calls, diverse work shifts, weekend and holiday work, and to work extended hours as necessary.
Work is primarily outside. Continuous use of both hands in reaching/handling/ grasping/keyboarding and other fine motor skills while performing duties. Occasional heavy work includes lifting and carrying up to 50 pounds. On rare occasions will be required to lift heavier weight with the assistance of others or mechanical devices up to 100 pounds; operating heavy vehicles, equipment and machinery. Occasionally ascends/descends stairs, ladders, and inclines while maintaining balance. Physical strength and ability sufficient to perform heavy manual labor for extended periods. Frequent bending/twisting at knees/waist/neck while performing mechanical repairs, maintenance items and other duties as assigned. Occasional kneeling/crouching/crawling while making repairs in confined spaces and awkward positions. May work at heights, alone, with others, or in noisy work area. May require constant moving, sitting or standing for excessive periods of time. May work outside in all weather extremes, be exposed to liquid or mixed asphalts at high temperatures, water, mud, dust, smoke, asbestos cement pipe, noxious odors, fumes, chemicals, needles, drug paraphernalia, raw sewage and/or traffic hazards. Continuous use of all senses including feeling/talking/hearing/seeing while performing duties and while communicating with co-workers, general public and completing all tasks as assigned. Must be able to distinguish color and maintain long-term and short-term memory. Will be required to wear safety protective gear when necessary. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions.
UNUSUAL WORKING CONDITIONS:
Exposure to adverse and extreme weather conditions for extended periods of time. Shift work, emergency standby, standby or on-call assignments may be required. Shall be subject to random controlled substance and alcohol testing, pursuant to Department of Transportation (DOT) regulations, including 49 CFR Part 40 and Section 382 of the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations. May come in contact with angry, upset or emotionally disturbed individuals.
Location: Yakima, WA
Application Method: Online: http://agency.governmentjobs.com/yakimawa/default.cfm?action=viewJob&jobID=2990693
Base Pay: $18.76 - $22.52 HR