Maintenance Specialist 5 - Regionwide Bridge Crew
Salary: $70,956.00 - $82,344.00 Annually
Location: Thurston County – Tumwater, WA
Job Type: Full Time - Permanent
Department: Dept. of Transportation
Job Number: 21DOT-OR-30531e
Closing: 2/21/2021 11:59 PM Pacific
Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT) is the steward of an integrated, multimodal transportation system that helps to ensure people and goods move safely and efficiently throughout the state. In addition to building, maintaining, and operating the state highway system, WSDOT operates the largest ferry system in the nation, manages the world's longest floating bridge, and recently completed the world's widest tunneling project.
WSDOT is currently seeking a Maintenance Specialist 5 to join our Regionwide Bridge Maintenance crew. In this role, you will retain and provide critical support to the safe operation of bridge structures within the Olympic Region (OR). Additional responsibilities include operating a wide variety of bridge maintenance equipment and tools as well as supervising crews in trades such as welding, steel fabrication, carpentry, concrete work, rigging and equipment operation.
What to Expect:
This position performs field work that is often physical in nature and performed primarily outdoors, in all types of weather, and often next to high-volume, high-speed traffic as well as at elevated heights above 25 feet over land or water. In addition, this position requires the availability to respond to emergency situations 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- Among the varied range of responsibilities held within this role, the Maintenance Specialist will:
Serve as agency expert for the maintenance of over 650 bridge structures the OR.
- Plan, budget, schedule, and supervise bridge maintenance crews engaged in maintenance, repair, and reconstruction of regionwide bridges.
- Analyze specifications and bid on materials and equipment.
- Train personnel in equipment usage, safety, bridge maintenance activities, and public relations.
- Work closely with the Project Engineers (Offices), Bridge - Preservation Office reviewing contract plans, repair plans and inspection reports.
- Ensure State and National Marine Fisheries guidelines, as well as endangered and protected mammal/bird regulations are met while performing assigned activities.
- Operate Class A, B, or C equipment, power tools, and hand tools for maintenance operations.
- Promote a safe work environment and remains current on the Department’s Safety Program.
To be considered for this opportunity, the following are required:
- High school diploma, GED or equivalent.
- Four (4) years of experience as a Bridge Maintenance Specialist 2 or equivalent experience such as four (4) years of journey level experience in construction trades concrete/masonry or carpentry; or two (2) years of experience as a Bridge Maintenance Specialist Lead; or two years of experience as a Maintenance Supervisor.
- Experience supervising crews, providing clear direction, and making good decisions in stressful conditions.
- Ability to perform work and/or assist others in confined environments or while traversing rough, steep, and uneven terrain.
- Must be able to report in service to assigned duty station within 60 minutes of an after-hours call.
- Experience adhering to safety policies and diligence in performing work in a safe manner.
- Experience in communicating effectively in a diverse and inclusive environment, and to multiple audiences, both orally and in writing.
- Proficiency with computers and Microsoft Software, to include Outlook, Word, etc.
- The availability to work nights, weekends, and holidays to respond to non-scheduled or call-out emergencies.
- A Class A Commercial Driver’s License (CDL).
It is preferred that qualified candidates also have:
- Experience supervising in a union environment; familiarity with the Washington Federation Employees Bargaining Agreement.
- Experience leading teams in a maintenance or engineering field.
- Experience providing outstanding customer service.
- Experience reading and understanding bridge construction plans for troubleshooting, to include: Electrical, - Mechanical, and Hydraulic systems.
- Experience working independently and prioritizing workload, with the ability to handle multiple assignments.
- Strong understanding of Electrical, Mechanical, Hydraulic, and Programmable Logic automated control systems.
- Strong knowledge and understanding of structural systems such as concrete, steel, and wood
- Strong understanding with large stationary diesel generations systems
- Experience managing a multimillion-dollar budget.
- Understanding of TEF owned equipment.
Important Notes :
- The recruiting efforts for this position may be extended beyond the displayed closing date for as long and until a sufficient candidate pool has been established. However, the first review of applications will be conducted February 23, 2021. The Appointing Authority reserves the right to make a hiring decision at any time thereafter. It is to your benefit to submit your application as soon as possible.
- The Olympic Region Headquarters is moving to a new location as early as March 2021; therefore, the shop for this position will be in Lacey, WA shortly after hire.
- This position may subject to the drug and alcohol testing requirements of the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMSCA). For more information, please go to DOT Drug & Alcohol Testing.
- Work-Life Balance – We offer flexible work schedules that allow you time for your life outside of this excellent opportunity.
- Paid Leave – In addition to 10 paid holidays, full-time employees earn a minimum 14 paid vacation days per year!
- Plan For Your Future – WSDOT offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes a variety of healthcare options. Employees also have their choice of state retirement programs, and much more. Go to State Benefits for more information.
Check out this video to learn more: Why WSDOT?
How to Apply:
Applications for this recruitment will be accepted electronically. Your relevant experience may be evaluated to determine salary. Therefore, it is very important that the “Work Experience” portion of the application be completed in as much detail as possible.
In order to be considered for this opportunity, please include the following with your online application:
- An attached Resume outlining (in reverse chronological order) your experience to date.
- An attached Cover Letter that further explains your qualifications and indicates why you believe you are a viable candidate for this role.
- Contact details for a minimum three (3) individuals who can attest to your work performance, technical skills, and job-related competencies. This information can be entered in the “References” section of the online application; does not require an additional attachment.
Please click the "APPLY" button to proceed. Note that you will be prompted to either sign in or create an account. This step is required in order to submit an application to this opportunity.
WSDOT is an equal opportunity employer. We value the importance of creating an environment in which all employees can feel respected, included and empowered to bring unique ideas to the agency. Our diversity and inclusion efforts include embracing different cultures, backgrounds and viewpoints while fostering growth and advancement in the workplace. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons of disability, persons over 40 years of age, disabled and Vietnam era veterans, as well as people of all sexual orientations and gender identities are encouraged to apply. Persons with disabilities needing assistance in the application process, or those needing this job announcement in an alternative format may contact the listed Recruiter.
WSDOT does not use the E-Verify system. For more information, please visit www.uscis.gov
For inquiries about this posting, you may contact the assigned Recruiter, Robyn Lovely at LovelyR@wsdot.wa.gov. Please be sure to reference 21DOT-OR-30531e in the subject line.
Location: Tumwater, WA
Application Method: Online: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/washington/wsdot/jobs/2976025/maintenance-specialist-5-regionwide-bridge-crew
Base Pay: $70,956 - $82,344 YR