Employer: TC Energy
Field Network & Telecom Technician
Reference Code: 77482
Location: United States (US) - Easton, PA
Job Category: Information Technology/Systems
Employment Type: Employee Full-time
Relocation Eligibility: This position is not eligible for our relocation program
Application Deadline: 02/20/2021
We all need energy. It warms our homes, cooks our food, gives us light, and gets us where we need to go. It also improves our quality of life in countless other ways. At TC Energy, our job is to deliver that energy to millions of people who depend on it across North America. And we take our job very seriously.
Guided by our values of safety, integrity, responsibility and collaboration, we develop and operate our facilities safely, reliably and with care for our impact on the environment. With our presence across the continent, our people play an active role in building strong communities.
We’re proud of how our hard work and commitment sets us apart and benefits society, every day. We’re looking for new team members who share our values and are ready to take on exciting challenges.
The energy industry is primed for digital disruption, and we’re excited about the opportunities ahead. We are leading the digital transformation journey by unlocking creativity and innovation in new ways, every day. If you're ready to challenge the status quo to deliver outstanding business results that propel us into the future, we want you to join our team! Our Information Services team is evolving to play a major role in leading innovation in our industry and to meet the needs of our growing business.
We are seeking a Field Network & Telecom Technician in Easton, PA. Reporting to the Manager, US Field Network, this position is responsible for implementing effective technical solutions and remote or on-site support of all WAN, LAN, Wireless/RF, and SCADA communications systems under the US Field Network Services group. The position requires an energetic and self-motivated individual who can function independently within the context of TransCanada’s IS strategy and be a cohesive and complementary team member within various operational and project initiatives. The successful candidate will be expected to mentor junior personnel such that they become more successful in the day-to-day support of the network & telecom systems.
What you’ll do:
- Installation, commissioning and troubleshooting of various wired and wireless data network technologies, hardware and media including VSAT, data radios, cellular, and both digital and analog Telco circuits. Candidate must have familiarity with WAN, LAN, wireless/RF and SCADA communications systems (primarily comprised of Cisco, Aruba and Digi hardware). Creating redlined and “as-built” engineering drawings and network diagrams, as required.
- Provide remote or on-site second and third level support for resolving network (routing and switching) and telecom communication incidents and problems.
Able to utilize diagnostic tools to resolve complex hardware and software problems such as connectivity or congestion and can recommend/implement solutions or performance improvements.
- Continuous improvement of the overall operation to enhance reliability, availability, functionality and TCO of the systems and services provided by the department.
- Providing technical support, technical direction and mentoring to Pipeline Field Operations personnel.
- Providing network and telecom context and design requirements for the Infrastructure Design team resources.
- Effectively manage many concurrent project and operational initiatives.
- Keeping current on industry products and technologies available for communications (e.g. telecom services and equipment)
- Working closely with various departments within TransCanada to ensure quality solution execution and problem resolution (some amount of after-hours work will be required).
- Desire and ability to work with, manage, and satisfy our business partners, building a strong relationship by developing an in-depth understanding of their business needs and processes.
- Overnight travel is required for this position. Travel can vary widely depending on the problem or project, but may be as high as 50%, primarily within US with possibilities of travel to Canada and Mexico.
- A degree in a relevant field such as Electrical Engineering, - Telecommunications or Computer Science. Consideration will be given to a diploma or certificate in a relevant field
- 3+ years applicable work experience in technical infrastructure and telecommunications
- Strong planning and organizational skills with a proven attention to detail
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Due to the dynamic nature of this area, the ability to function effectively in a multi-team environment and to adapt to multiple dynamic priorities, which can change with little advance notice, is mandatory
Strong analytical ability to quickly solve technical problems and issues
- Hands on experience with various LAN, WAN and Ethernet topologies and components including understanding of the bigger picture
- Strong knowledge of TCP/IP
- Basic knowledge of routing/switching protocols (e.g. OSPF, EIGRP and BGP)
- Experience configuring and troubleshooting Cisco routers and switches
- Basic knowledge of firewalls (Cisco and Palo Alto)
- Experience with copper and fiber structured cabling and BICSI standards and the industry best practices for the installation, termination, splicing, testing, troubleshooting and retrofitting of copper and optical cables
- Experience with Very Small Aperture Terminal (VSAT) systems
- Experience with cellular data modems for Machine-to-Machine (M2M) communications and broadband networks
- Experience with SCADA (Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition) communications systems
- Experience with serial communication equipment, standards and protocols. (Terminal servers, RS-232, RS-485, MODBUS, BSAP, etc.)
- Experience with UPS and DC charger/battery systems
- Experience with data radios, particularly GE MDS 9790, 9710, 9810, SD9 and iNET; CalAmp ViPR; 4RF Aprisa
- Experience with RF antenna systems and transmission lines
- Experience with test equipment used with DS3/DS1, RS-232, LAN, telephone, and RF equipment and cabling
- Willingness to provide off hours support
- Must be able to lift up to 40 lbs. 10 to 15 times per day
- Valid passport with ability and willingness to travel within North America required.
- Valid driver’s license. Able to rent and operate a motor vehicle in the United States and Canada
- Cisco certification (CCNA/CCNP)
- Familiarity with ITIL (IT Infrastructure Library) v3
About our business:
TC Energy is a leading energy infrastructure company in North America. We have three complementary businesses of natural gas pipelines, liquids (oil) pipelines, and power generation. Our operations span three countries, seven Canadian provinces, and 34 U.S. states.
About Information Services:
We're driven by the relentless delivery of bottom-line benefits, utilizing talented people, nimble process and the right technology. We’re focused on outcome-based innovation and committed to be an idea factory with our business partners. We define success as the delivery of impactful, innovative solutions, not the deployment of technology.
Apply to this posting by 02/20/2021 using reference code 77482. You must apply through our jobs system at jobs.tcenergy.com. Only applications submitted through our system will be acknowledged. Applications may be submitted using a mobile device or a desktop / laptop computer.
TC Energy is an equal opportunity employer and participates in the E-Verify program supervised by the U.S. government.
Thank you for choosing to grow your career with TC Energy.
* Depending on qualifications, the successful candidate may be offered a position at a more appropriate level and/or ladder.
* All positions require background screening. Some require criminal and/or credit checks to comply with regulations.
* Consistent with our employment practices, we reserve the right to consider the cost of relocation when making internal hiring decisions.
Nearest Major Market: Allentown
Job Segment: Network, Telecom, Telecommunications, Technician, Engineer, Technology, Engineering
Location: Easton, PA
Application Method: Online: https://jobs.tcenergy.com/job/Easton-Field-Network-&-Telecom-Technician-PA-18040/697420500/
Base Pay: DOQ