Welder - Equipment Technician 3
Salary: $52,776.00 - $61,224.00 Annually
Location: Thurston County – Tumwater, WA
Job Type: Part Time - Permanent
Department: Dept. of Transportation
Job Number: 21DOT-OR-30461e
Closing: 2/16/2021 11:59 PM Pacific
Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT) is the steward of an integrated, multimodal transportation system that helps to ensure people and goods move safely and efficiently throughout the state. In addition to building, maintaining, and operating the state highway system, WSDOT operates the largest ferry system in the nation, manages the world's longest floating bridge, and recently completed the world's widest tunneling project.
WSDOT is currently seeking an experienced Welder to maintain the equipment fleet at our Olympic Region Main Shop currently located in Tumwater. This position is ideal for a welder/fabricator who is looking for an exciting opportunity to utilize their valuable skills and knowledge. In this role, you will be responsible for repairing and fabricating specialized parts for equipment using MIG/TIG welding. Our top candidate will also have essential mechanic skills to inspect and perform preventative maintenance on all WSDOT vehicles to include heavy and industrial/commercial equipment.
What to Expect:
This position requires the availability to respond to emergency situations in all weather conditions; 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Among the varied range of responsibilities held within this role, the Welder will:
- Design, fabricate, weld, and install additional equipment to vehicles such as, but not limited to rotating beacons, hydraulic systems, hitches, reinforced bumpers, brackets, guards, etc.
- Repair, overhaul, maintain and in some situations design equipment used in maintenance and construction of roadways.
- Troubleshoot and repair all electrical systems; repair or replace components related to electronic fuel injection, automotive computer controls, ignition, anti-lock brakes, sequential sign boards, and various other electronic systems.
- Utilize M-5 Fleet Management System to write work orders, place parts orders, enter labor, and review vehicle history.
- Review vehicle history and draft work orders; order parts as necessary for repair.
To be considered for this opportunity, the following are required:
- High school diploma, GED or equivalent.
- Three (3) years of experience in the performance of welding and fabrication work OR successful completion of vocational technical training/apprenticeship program in heavy equipment or industrial/commercial equipment repair.
- Experience operating shop tools such as welders, drill presses, grinders, presses, hoists, air tools, and jacks.
- Experience reading and understanding equipment manuals, blueprints, and technical drawings.
- Experience operating electronic diagnostic and testing devices.
- Effective communication skills in writing, orally, and using a computer for the purpose of leading, instructing, scheduling, and disseminating information concerning the shop’s operation.
- The ability to move, place and transport objects up to 50 pounds.
- A valid driver’s license.
It is preferred that qualified candidates also have:
- Two (2) year degree in Automotive Technology or Diesel Technology.
- Three (3) years of experience in the automotive repair industry.
- A Washington Class A CDL with N endorsement, without airbrake restrictions (required within six months of hire).
- Successful completion of vocational technical training in heavy equipment, light vehicles and/or industrial/commercial equipment repair, including welding/fabrication.
- Experience using Fleet Equipment Management System (FEMS) and Microsoft Office Suite programs including Excel, Word, and Outlook.
- An Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) Certification in automotive or light/heavy equipment repair.
- This position may subject to the drug and alcohol testing requirements of the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMSCA). For more information, please go to DOT Drug & Alcohol Testing.
- The Olympic Region Headquarters is moving to a new location as early as March 2021; therefore, the shop for this position will be in Lacey, WA shortly after hire.
- Work-Life Balance – We offer flexible work schedules that allow you time for your life outside of this excellent opportunity.
- Paid Leave – In addition to 10 paid holidays, full-time employees earn a minimum 14 paid vacation days per year!
- Plan For Your Future – WSDOT offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes a variety of healthcare options. Employees also have their choice of state retirement programs, and much more. Go to State Benefits for more information.
Check out this video to learn more: Why WSDOT?
How to Apply:
Applications for this recruitment will be accepted electronically. Your relevant experience may be evaluated to determine salary. Therefore, it is very important that the “Work Experience” portion of the application be completed in as much detail as possible.
In order to be considered for this opportunity, please include the following with your online application:
- An attached Resume outlining (in reverse chronological order) your experience to date.
- An attached Cover Letter that further explains your qualifications and indicates why you believe you are a viable candidate for this role.
- Contact details for a minimum three (3) individuals who can attest to your work performance, technical skills, and job-related competencies. This information can be entered in the “References” section of the online application; does not require an additional attachment.
Please click the "APPLY" button to proceed. Note that you will be prompted to either sign in or create an account. This step is required in order to submit an application to this opportunity.
WSDOT is an equal opportunity employer. We value the importance of creating an environment in which all employees can feel respected, included and empowered to bring unique ideas to the agency. Our diversity and inclusion efforts include embracing different cultures, backgrounds and viewpoints while fostering growth and advancement in the workplace. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons of disability, persons over 40 years of age, disabled and Vietnam era veterans, as well as people of all sexual orientations and gender identities are encouraged to apply. Persons with disabilities needing assistance in the application process, or those needing this job announcement in an alternative format may contact the listed Recruiter.
WSDOT does not use the E-Verify system. For more information, please visit www.uscis.gov
For inquiries about this posting, you may contact the assigned Recruiter, Robyn Lovely at LovelyR@wsdot.wa.gov. Please be sure to reference 21DOT-OR-30461e in the subject line.
Agency: State of Washington
Address: View Job Posting for Agency Information
View Job Posting for Location, Washington, 98504
Location: Tumwater, WA
Application Method: Online: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/washington/wsdot/jobs/2974136/welder-equipment-technician-3
Base Pay: $52,776 - $61,224 YR