Electrician - Transportation Systems Technician
Salary: $62,748.00 - $84,396.00 Annually
Location: Spokane County – Spokane, WA
Job Type: Full Time - Permanent
Department: Dept. of Transportation
Job Number: 21DOT-ER-60573
Closing: 2/15/2021 11:59 PM Pacific
Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT) is the steward of an integrated, multimodal transportation system that helps to ensure people and goods move safely and efficiently throughout the state. In addition to building, maintaining, and operating the state highway system, WSDOT operates the largest ferry system in the nation, manages the world's longest floating bridge, and recently completed the world's widest tunneling project.
WSDOT is currently seeking a senior-level technician who has the ambition and skills to support the vast electrical infrastructure of Washington State's Eastern Region. The Signal shop located in Spokane is currently seeking to hire an experienced electrician to assist with maintaining, troubleshooting and repairing of lighting, traffic signal systems, flashers, and ITS assets throughout the Region. This Region-wide position is critical in ensuring that our traffic signals and electrical equipment are operating at their best to keep our highways free of hazards and open to the traveling public year-round.
What to Expect:
Among the varied range of responsibilities held within this role, you will:
- Troubleshoot, diagnose, repair, install, and perform preventive maintenance on illumination systems, electrical services, traffic signals, variable message signs, traffic cameras, road & weather information systems, sign lighting, bridge navigation lighting, and ferry dock lighting.
- Coordinate with other departments and outside agencies.
- Function as the electrical inspector on illumination, signal and ITS contracts.
- Maintain records of maintenance activities, equipment used, and inventory consumption.
- Move, transport, and place equipment up to 50 pounds.
- Traverse various ground surface conditions, including kneeling, bending, pulling and reaching (i.e. slopes, ditches, gravel, guardrails, etc.).
- Use tools and test equipment standard to the electrical/electronic industry.
- Safely operate motor vehicles up to and including a Class B CDL truck during all hours of the day and night.
- Interpret contract plans, electrical drawings, federal, state, and local statutes and/or specifications, and equipment manuals.
Depending on qualifications, this position may be filled at the TST B, C or D level. To be considered for this opportunity, the following are required at each level:
* Transportation Systems Technician B:
- Valid driver's license.
- Three (3) years of experience in the electrical field.
* Transportation Systems Technician C:
- Valid driver's license.
- Four (4) years of electrical construction experience.
* Transportation Systems Technician D:
- Valid driver's license.
- Six (6) years of electrical construction experience, to include experience within the traffic signal and illumination fields, as well as ITS equipment.
In addition to the above qualifications, following are also required at any level:
- An EL01 license.
- A Commercial Driver License (CDL) Class B with airbrake or the ability to obtain within twelve (12) months of hire.
- High School Graduation or GED.
- The ability to work at heights up to 150 feet.
- The ability to interpret, understand, and work with computer hardware and software for many various applications and/or equipment.
- The ability to work outdoors in all weather conditions at all times of the day and night during the year.
- The availability to work flexible schedule for emergency call out and shift changes as needed.
- Proven skills to communicate effectively.
- Ability to work as a team with other technicians.
It is preferred that qualified candidates also have:
- Experience with roadway lighting systems.
- Experience with ITS systems.
- Experience with Traffic Signal Systems.
- MSA certifications.
- Current Washington State flagging card.
- Experience with fiber networks.
- Experience with IP networks.
- This position is subject to the drug and alcohol testing requirements of the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA). For more information, please go to DOT Drug & Alcohol Testing.
- An offer of permanent employment will be contingent upon passing the appropriate TST Electrical exam as indicated below:
1. If you are an external candidate, you will be given 12 months to pass the TST Signal electrical exam at the level in which you are hired at.
2. If you are a current WSDOT TST employee and have not attained the TST D level or the TST B/C Signals Electrical discipline, you will be required take and pass the appropriate TST electrical exam for the Signals discipline within 12 months.
Transportation Systems Technician B Electrical examination study materials are available at: http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/Employment/SystemTechStudyGuide.htm).
- Work-Life Balance – We are committed to ensure that our staff experience the reward of public service, while also sustaining a routine that suits each individuals’ lifestyle.
- Paid Leave – In addition to 10 paid holidays, full-time employees earn up to 25 paid vacation days per year!
- Tuition Assistance – Permanent employees have several options for assistance with education expenses, including tuition reimbursement programs, government discounts at participating colleges throughout the state, and eligibility for federal student loan forgiveness.
- Plan For Your Future – WSDOT offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes a variety of healthcare options. Employees also have their choice of state retirement programs, and much more. Go to State Benefits for more information.
Check out this video to learn more: Why WSDOT?
How to Apply:
Applications for this recruitment will be accepted electronically. Your relevant experience may be evaluated to determine salary. Therefore, it is very important that the “Work Experience” portion of the application be completed in as much detail as possible.
In order to be considered for this opportunity, please include the following with your online application:
Contact details for a minimum three (3) references. This information can be entered in the “References” section of the online application; does not require an additional attachment.
Please click the "APPLY" button to proceed. Note that you will be prompted to either sign in, or create an account. This step is required in order to submit an application to this opportunity.
WSDOT is an equal opportunity employer. We value the importance of creating an environment in which all employees can feel respected, included and empowered to bring unique ideas to the agency. Our diversity and inclusion efforts include embracing different cultures, backgrounds and viewpoints while fostering growth and advancement in the workplace. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons of disability, persons over 40 years of age, disabled and Vietnam era veterans, as well as people of all sexual orientations and gender identities are encouraged to apply. Persons with disabilities needing assistance in the application process, or those needing this job announcement in an alternative format may contact the listed Recruiter.
WSDOT does not use the E-Verify system. For more information, please visit www.uscis.gov.
For inquiries about this posting, you may contact the assigned Recruiter, Rachel Giese at GieseR@wsdot.wa.gov. Please be sure to reference 21DOT-ER-60573 in the subject line.
Location: Spokane, WA
Application Method: Online: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/washington/wsdot/jobs/2962511/electrician-transportation-systems-technician
Base Pay: $62,748 - $84,396 YR