Lineman Apprentice II
DEPARTMENT OF ENERGY
Bonneville Power Administration
Open & closing dates: 01/14/2021 to 01/23/2021
Pay scale & grade: BB 00
Salary: $37.21 to $48.06 per hour
Appointment type: Permanent
Work schedule: Full-Time
6 vacancies in the following locations:
- Idaho Falls, ID
- Kalispell, MT
- North Bend, OR
- Redmond, OR
- The Dalles, OR
- Chehalis, WA
- Olympia, WA
- Pasco, WA
- Spokane, WA
- Vancouver, WA
Telework eligible: No
The Lineman Apprenticeship program is a formal 4-year program consisting of 8 steps of 6 months each. The apprentice must pass an examination following each 6-month step to remain in this program. Apprentices will be promoted to journeyman after successfully passing the eighth step examination.
The apprentice is expected to gain knowledge of various work processes with progressively difficult assignments throughout their apprenticeship.
A successful candidate in the position of Lineman Apprentice II will, under the direct supervision of a Journeyman Lineman or Lineman Foreman, be trained to maintain and construct high voltage lines throughout the Northwest. Lineman Apprentices will be trained to perform this work on wood pole and steel tower lines through 500kV alternating current (AC) and lO00kV direct current (DC).
A Lineman Apprentice II:
- Performs construction and maintenance work (including hot line maintenance) on either wood pole or steel tower lines including excavations and footings, framing and erecting towers and poles, hanging insulators and hardware, and stringing, sagging and clipping conductors.
- Replaces or repairs damaged steel towers, wood poles, crossarms, and conductors; relocates towers and poles; inspects and treats wood poles; and replaces insulators.
- Performs, or supervises, right-of-way maintenance work such as brush and weed control, cutting or topping dangerous trees, seeding cover crops for erosion control.
- Repairs access roads and installs or repairs bridges, culverts, fences and gates.
- Maintains microwave towers, antennas, and airway lighting installations; performs maintenance tasks in substations, involving overhead line work and other tasks requiring the use of line maintenance equipment.
- Patrols transmission lines and reports conditions of lines.
- Takes clearances and occasionally performs switching at unattended substations and line sectionalizing disconnect switches.
- Completes associated documentation required of the above listed tasks.
- Drives 25-30% of the time in all weather conditions.
50% or less - Drives 25-30% of the time in all weather conditions.
Supervisory status: No
Promotion Potential: 00
Conditions of Employment:
- You must be a United States Citizen.
- This employer participates in the e-Verify program.
- Males must abide by Selective Service registration requirements.
- Position subject to Initial Drug testing & random drug testing thereafter.
- Selectee must be able to meet the physical requirements of the job.
- Selectee may be required to successfully complete a probationary period.
- When you apply you will be asked a series of questions to determine your eligibility for employment and your qualification for this position specifically.
- A preliminary background check must be completed before a new employee can begin work.
Establish a residence in accordance with negotiated requirements that is within one hour or less commuting time under normal weather and road conditions, to the duty station headquarters.
- Become familiar with and follow the safety practices of the BPA Accident Prevention Manual.
- Take First Aid Training to obtain a valid First Aid Card within the first 6 months of employment and maintain continuously thereafter.
- Possess or obtain a CPR Card within the first 6 months of employment and maintain continuously thereafter.
- Possess or obtain a Restricted Electrical Workers' permit within the one-year of employment and maintain it continuously thereafter.
- Possess or obtain valid commercial driver's license (CDL) with all endorsements that are required to operate TLM equipment from state of residence within one-year of employment and continuously thereafter. Possess a U.S. Motor - Vehicle Operator Authorization or obtain within 30 days after appointment
- Subject to call for emergency work at any time.
- Obtain certification on the equipment associated with line maintenance if assigned to use or operate.
- Obtain certification as a flag person.
- As part of the job requirements, the Lineman Apprentice shall be required to apply restricted use pesticides, and, at the discretion of the Regional Manager, may be required to obtain a pesticide applicators' permit.
- Occasionally, fly in helicopter or fixed wing aircraft in the performance of assigned duties.
- During the eight steps of the Apprenticeship Program the Standard Clearance Certification Examination for Lineman will be administered to the Apprentice. Satisfactory completion of this examination is a mandatory requirement for graduation to the journeyman level.
- Apprentices may be selected for and relocated to their first assigned duty station during the last 12-months of their apprenticeship program in accordance with BPA-CPTC memorandum of understanding (MOU).
- This position requires a pre-employment medical exam, at BPA expense, prior to appointment due to the physical requirements of the position.
- After employment, this position may be subject to periodic physical examinations, as prescribed by competent medical authority and at BPA expense.
- Applicants must meet the requirements of the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) Job Qualification System for Trades and Labor Occupations (X-118C).
- Although a specific length of time and experience is not required for most trade and labor occupations, you must show through experience and training that you possess the quality level of knowledge and skill necessary to perform the duties of the position at the level for which you are applying. Qualification requirements emphasis is on the quality of experience, not necessarily the length of time.
- Your resume is the key means we have for evaluating your skills, knowledge, and abilities, as they relate to this position. Therefore, we encourage you to be clear and specific when describing your experience.
- Your qualifications will be evaluated on the basis of your level of knowledge, skills, abilities and/or competencies in the job elements and screen-out listed below.This job has a screen-out element which will be used to determine minimum eligibility for this job. Applicants who do not receive a minimum of two points on the screen-out elements, will be found ineligible. The Screen-out Element for this position is: Ability to do the work of the position without more than normal supervision.
- Ability to do the work of the position without more than normal supervision. (Screen-out.)
- Ability to follow directions in a shop.
- Knowledge of Shop Practices.
The next Lineman Apprentice class is scheduled to begin in July 2021.
CTAP/ICTAP candidates: To be considered "well qualified" you must meet all of the requirements as described in this section.
You must meet all qualifications and eligibility requirements by the closing date of this announcement.
There are no specific education requirements or substitution of education for experience for this position.
Location: 6 Vacaniceis in several locations
Application Method: Online: https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/589396400#
Base Pay: $37.21 to $48.06 HR