Highway Maintenance Worker 2 – Ellensburg, WA
Salary: $47,844.00 - $58,260.00 Annually
Location: Kittitas County – Ellensburg, WA
Job Type: Full Time - Permanent
Department: Dept. of Transportation
Job Number: 20DOT-SCR-50575
Closing: 1/21/2021 11:59 PM Pacific
Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT) is the steward of an integrated, multimodal transportation system that helps to ensure people and goods move safely and efficiently throughout the state. In addition to building, maintaining, and operating the state highway system, WSDOT operates the largest ferry system in the nation, manages the world's longest floating bridge, and recently completed the world's widest tunneling project.
WSDOT is currently seeking to fill a Highway Maintenance Worker 2 position in Ellensburg. The selected candidate will assist with the area’s maintenance and repair of the state highways and highway structures along I-90 to ensure the traveling public's safety. Working in the maintenance area requires responsible, safety-minded individuals to perform a variety of skilled labor tasks and operate highway equipment and tools. This opportunity is perfect for someone who loves working with their hands, knowing their work is done on roadways and in a variety of weather conditions.
What to Expect -
Among the varied range of responsibilities held within this role, you will:
- Perform winter snow and ice control, which includes operating dump trucks with plows and sanders, as well has hauling sand and gravel.
- Set-up of traffic control, which includes manually flagging traffic or signing for lane closures, and operating attenuator/buffer truck; establish temporary work zones and mobile work operations.
- Perform general roadway maintenance activities such as:
- Drainage maintenance including ditching, channels, and culverts, cross drains, manholes, and catch basins.
- Asphalt and concrete pavement maintenance and repair.
- Sign maintenance and repair.
- Assist in repair of damage caused by the traveling public such as guardrail, fence, signs, directional markers, delineation, and the removal of graffiti from structures and other highway facilities.
- Safely operate equipment including front end loaders, dump trucks, truck/trailer combos, sweepers, mowers, vactors, excavators, pickups, and other miscellaneous hand tools.
- Effectively use radio, phone, computers, and electronic devices to communicate and document data.
- Negotiate rough and steep surfaces during the performance of job tasks.
- Respond to call out emergencies day, night, weekends and holidays as needed.
To be considered for this opportunity, the following are required:
- A valid Class A Commercial Driver’s License with N endorsement without air brake restrictions with a current medical examiner’s certificate.
- At least two (2) years of experience performing highway maintenance, roadway construction, or related experience, or - 1 year as a Highway Maintenance Worker 1.
- Basic knowledge of heavy equipment used for road maintenance.
- Effective communication skills, both orally and in writing.
- Skills to enter data on computer as this position is required to capture work completion and associated labor tracking via a PC or iPad.
- Ability to maintain a positive working relationship with supervisor, coworkers, customers, and the public.
- Must be able to work in adverse weather conditions and hazardous situations such as heavy traffic and hot surface temperatures.
- Ability to relocate tools, equipment, and materials weighing up to 50lbs from one location to another in safe manner.
Position requires bending, stooping, climbing, and walking on uneven terrain.
- Pesticide Applicator Spray License or ability to obtain within 12 months.
- Ability to work nights, weekends, holidays, and perform emergency call-outs/stand-by.
Preferred qualifications include:
High school graduation or possession of a GED certificate, or equivalent
This position is subject to the drug and alcohol testing requirements of the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA). For more information, please go to DOT Drug & Alcohol Testing.
- Work-Life Balance – We are committed to ensure that our staff experience the reward of public service, while also sustaining a routine that suits each individuals’ lifestyle. - Employees in this position enjoy a standard daytime schedule, working Monday-Thursday, with three-day weekends.
- Paid Leave – In addition to 10 paid holidays, full-time employees earn up to 25 paid vacation days per year!
- Plan For Your Future – WSDOT offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes a variety of healthcare options. Employees also have their choice of state retirement programs, and much more. Go to State Benefits for more information.
Check out this video to learn more: Why WSDOT?
How to Apply:
Applications for this recruitment will be accepted electronically. Your relevant experience may be evaluated to determine salary. Therefore, it is very important that the “Work Experience” portion of the application be completed in as much detail as possible.
In order to be considered for this opportunity, please include the following with your online application:
- An attached Resume outlining (in reverse chronological order) your experience to date.
- An attached Cover Letter that further explains your qualifications and indicates why you believe you are a viable candidate for this role.
- Contact details for a minimum three (3) individuals who can attest to your work performance, technical skills, and job-related competencies. This information can be entered in the “References” section of the online application; does not require an additional attachment.
Please click the "APPLY" button to proceed. Note that you will be prompted to either sign in, or create an account. This step is required in order to submit an application to this opportunity.
WSDOT is an equal opportunity employer. We value the importance of creating an environment in which all employees can feel respected, included and empowered to bring unique ideas to the agency. Our diversity and inclusion efforts include embracing different cultures, backgrounds and viewpoints while fostering growth and advancement in the workplace. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons of disability, persons over 40 years of age, disabled and Vietnam era veterans, as well as people of all sexual orientations and gender identities are encouraged to apply. Persons with disabilities needing assistance in the application process, or those needing this job announcement in an alternative format may contact the listed Recruiter.
WSDOT does not use the E-Verify system. For more information, please visit www.uscis.gov.
For inquiries about this posting, you may contact the assigned Recruiter, Rachel Giese – email@example.com. Please be sure to reference 20DOT-SCR-50575 in the subject line.
Agency: State of Washington
View Posting for Agency Contact
Location: Ellensburg, WA
Application Method: Online: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/washington/jobs/2949412/highway-maintenance-worker-2-ellensburg?location=yakima%20county&sort=PostingDate%7CDescending&pagetype=jobOpportunitiesJobs
Base Pay: $47,844 - $58,260 MO