Employer: Central Washington University
The Patient Services Representative deals with confidential information in a professional manner. Organizes and provides patient support services; schedules appointments; manages phone calls; triages patient needs to medical/counseling staff; receives and registers patients; provides point-of-service admission; manages patient records; copies and faxes records. This position supports medical/counseling staff as needed with respect to office processes and the performance of their responsibilities. Performs assigned duties for both the medical and counseling functions of the department. All employees are expected to support CWU’s commitment to diversity and to bring and support inclusion into the university environment.
- Assists with patient/client care support in an outpatient healthcare setting including registering (checking in) and scheduling patient/client appointments using the department scheduling systems.
- Operates office equipment such as copier, fax, multi-line phone, computers, printers, scanner, etc.
- Triages patient/client needs and refers to appropriate medical/counseling staff.
- Answers patient/client questions regarding billing, delays or long waits for services, and scheduling issues.
- Confirms patient insurance eligibility through electronic means.
- Answers phones, transfers calls to appropriate personnel, responds to inquiries, and receives messages.
- Assists patients/clients to complete forms, answers questions and directs them to appropriate staff as needed.
- Organizes and maintains patient/client care records as requested. Scans patient/client care paperwork as collected; copies and faxes records as requested.
- Explains HIPAA/FERPA guidelines to patients/clients.
- Assesses patient/client requests and assists patients/clients by directing them to the appropriate staff member (medical practitioner, nurse, or counselor) by collecting pertinent information.
- Screens phone calls and walk-in patients for urgency using independent judgment and makes appropriate referrals.
- Completes nurse consultation requests or other pertinent forms as appropriate and routes them to staff to ensure follow-up.
- Responds with appropriate actions to situations and communicates to all parties the established policies and procedures.
- Supports department staff (e.g., distributing patient surveys upon request, running scheduling system inquiries on patients/clients, etc.).
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
General office experience or customer/patient experience in a healthcare setting.
Experience and/or training demonstrating the ability to provide customer service including the responsibility to listen to customers, identify issues, and to provide the appropriate referrals.
Experience or training that demonstrates the ability to use computer and Microsoft Office Suite, including an electronic scheduling system, copier, fax, and multi-line phone and ability to multitask in various situations.
Ability to effectively handle stressful situations, make good decisions, and work calmly to help others.
Ability to accept constructive criticism, incorporate feedback, and maintain positive work atmosphere.
Excellent communication and problem-solving skills.
Ability to function as part of a multidisciplinary team.
Demonstrated willingness and/or experience working with students and/or co-workers from a wide range of abilities, backgrounds, and experiences.
Experience in healthcare office operations.
Experience creating brochures, flyers, charts, graphs, using Excel, Publisher, etc.
Credentialing and/or insurance billing/coding experience/education.
Knowledge of current procedural terminology, international classification of diseases and healthcare, and common procedure coding.
Demonstrated participation in programs designed to promote inclusion.
A record of promoting inclusivity in the work environment.
Experience or interest in mentoring students from a variety of backgrounds.
Ability to incorporate multicultural perspectives and issues into everyday conversations.
Life experiences that demonstrate an ability to contribute to CWU's commitment to inclusion and diversity.
Accountability/Dependability: Accepts responsibility for quality of own work; acknowledges and corrects mistakes. Shows up on time, meets standards, deadlines and work schedules.
Judgement: Makes timely, informed decisions. Analyzes options and determines appropriate course of action.
Teamwork: Promotes cooperation and mutual support to achieve goals. Encourages participation and mutual support.
Adaptability/Flexibility: Responds positively to changing business needs and responsibilities. Adapts approach and methods to achieve results; recovers quickly from setbacks and finds alternatives.
Commitment to Diversity: Recognizes the value of diversity and helps create environment that supports and embraces diversity.
Pay, Benefits, & Work Schedule
Salary: $2,738/month with periodic increases up to $3,535/month
Schedule/Appointment: Monday - Friday, 8:00am-5:00pm (1 hour lunch) / PSE Bargaining Unit 3
Working Conditions: Work is performed in an indoor office setting with frequent in-person interactions. It is essential to be able to remain at a desk/computer workstation for prolonged periods of time, perform extensive data entry and other computer-related tasks and create/maintain filing systems for departmental records. Some evening or weekend work and/or occasional travel may be required. Responds to medical or counseling crisis and emergency situations and reacts accordingly. Communication, verbally and written, is essential to ensure coordination and cooperation among all staff with regards to office operations. Some stooping, kneeling, bending, crouching, lifting, walking, carrying or moving of objects and other movements may be required. Some alternate workweeks with routine rotation may include early morning hours required.
Benefits: CWU offers a comprehensive benefits package including medical and dental insurance, retirement and optional savings plans, life and disability insurance, along with vacation and sick leave plans depending on employment classification. For additional information please visit: https://www.cwu.edu/hr/benefits
An employee of CWU may be eligible for the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program if the employee has student loans. To learn more, visit: https://ofm.wa.gov/state-human-resources/public-service-loan-forgiveness-program.
How To Apply
To apply for this position, you must complete the on-line application and attach:
A detailed cover letter clearly demonstrating how your education and experience: (a) meet the required (and, as applicable, preferred) qualifications, and (b) demonstrate the ability to perform the responsibilities as described by the posting;
Resume including work history, education, training; and
Contact information for three professional references.
Screening Begins: December 28, 2020
**Priority will be given to applications received by the screening date. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Name: Logan Denlinger
Title: Program Support Supervisor II
Phone: (509) 963-1626
Website: Student Health Services
Please contact Human Resources at email@example.com or 509-963-1202 if you require technical assistance with the on-line application process.
Conditions of Employment
Prior to employment, final candidate(s) will be required to sign a Sexual Misconduct disclosure in pursuant to RCW 28B.112.080 and submit to a background check. All information obtained through background investigations will be strictly confidential and revealed only to those required to have access.
This position is part of a Public School Employees of Washington (PSE) bargaining unit.
The seniority date for the selected applicant shall be set in accordance with Article 43.2 of the Public School Employees (PSE) collective bargaining agreement.
Contact Person: Logan Denlinger
Phone: (509) 963-1626
Location: Ellensburg, WA
Base Pay: $2,738/month with periodic increases up to $3,535/month