Assistant Documentation Engineer (TE3)
Salary: $67,560.00 - $90,888.00 Annually
Location: Yakima County - Union Gap, WA
Job Type: Full Time - Permanent
Department: Dept. of Transportation
Job Number: 20DOT-SCR-50985
Closing: 12/7/2020 11:59 PM Pacific
Assistant Documentation Engineer (TE3) description image
Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT) is the steward of an integrated, multimodal transportation system that helps to ensure people and goods move safely and efficiently throughout the state. In addition to building, maintaining, and operating the state highway system, WSDOT operates the largest ferry system in the nation, manages the world's longest floating bridge, and recently completed the world's widest tunneling project.
WSDOT is currently seeking a Transportation Engineer 3 to support the South Central Region’s Construction Program. As the Assistant Documentation Engineer, you will be is responsible for providing guidance on inspection and materials documentation, equal employment opportunities, (EEO) and construction contract administration. This position will help to ensure proper documentation of construction contracts and the continued funding of projects by the state and federal governments. In this role, collaboration with the Region construction field offices is essential to improve consistency and efficiency of the construction documentation processes.
What to Expect:
Among the varied range of responsibilities held within this role, you will:
- Monitor status of federal aid construction projects in the Region for stewardship requirements.
- Review the materials documentation of the construction contracts at various stages of project completion.
- Review documents for completeness and adherence to the State/Federal requirements.
- Review all construction contracts to verify procedures and accuracy meet State and Federal requirements.
- Prepare reports of documentation reviews for the Region Construction Support and Region Construction Engineer’s review.
- Enter approved Change Orders into CAPS as an impartial representative for the Project Engineer and Region Executed Change Orders.
- Provide guidance and support to engineers and technicians in the Region’s construction offices.
To be considered for this opportunity, the following are required:
- Two years as a Transportation Engineer 2 or equivalent experience (Bridge Engineer 2, Transportation Planning Specialist 2, etc.).
- Possession of a valid Washington State Driver’s License.
- High School Graduation or GED equivalent.
- Ability to work with a variety of different people and produce positive results.
- Ability to navigate and quickly locate needed information from reference documents such as the Construction Manual, Standard Specifications, Standard Plans, Materials Manual, Emergency Relief Procedures Manual, etc.
- Understand the requirements for construction contract administration from the project start to final completion of the project.
- Understand the requirements for OEO compliance and submit information to Headquarters OEO.
- Skills and ability to operate a personal computer with a variety of programs.
- Ability to obtain data for projects at the design stage for planning the construction in the year ahead.
It is preferred that qualified candidates also have:
- Associate or Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering or related field of study.
- Prior experience with highway construction project documentation such as inspection, materials testing, contract payment, materials documentation and/or other office engineering duties.
- Work-Life Balance – We are committed to ensure that our staff experience the reward of public service, while also sustaining a routine that suits each individuals’ lifestyle. As such, there are a number of flexible schedule options available, including occasional telework for eligible positions.
- Paid Leave – In addition to 10 paid holidays, full-time employees earn up to 25 paid vacation days per year!
- Tuition Assistance – Permanent employees have several options for assistance with education expenses, including tuition reimbursement programs, government discounts at participating colleges throughout the state, and eligibility for federal student loan forgiveness.
- Plan For Your Future – WSDOT offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes a variety of healthcare options. Employees also have their choice of state retirement programs, and much more. Go to State Benefits for more information.
- Check out this video to learn more: Why WSDOT? -
How to Apply:
Applications for this recruitment will be accepted electronically. Your relevant experience may be evaluated to determine salary. Therefore, it is very important that the “Work Experience” portion of the application be completed in as much detail as possible.
In order to be considered for this opportunity, please include the following with your online application:
- An attached Resume outlining (in reverse chronological order) your experience to date.
- An attached Cover Letter that further explains your qualifications and indicates why you believe you are a viable candidate for this role.
- Contact details for a minimum three (3) individuals who can attest to your work performance, technical skills, and job-related competencies. This information can be entered in the “References” section of the online application; does not require an additional attachment.
Please click the "APPLY" button to proceed. Note that you will be prompted to either sign in or create an account. This step is required in order to submit an application to this opportunity.
WSDOT is an equal opportunity employer. We value the importance of creating an environment in which all employees can feel respected, included and empowered to bring unique ideas to the agency. Our diversity and inclusion efforts include embracing different cultures, backgrounds and viewpoints while fostering growth and advancement in the workplace. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons of disability, persons over 40 years of age, disabled and Vietnam era veterans, as well as people of all sexual orientations and gender identities are encouraged to apply. Persons with disabilities needing assistance in the application process, or those needing this job announcement in an alternative format may contact the listed Recruiter.
WSDOT does not use the E-Verify system. For more information, please visit www.uscis.gov.
For inquiries about this posting, you may contact the assigned Recruiter, Rachel Giese at GieseR@wsdot.wa.gov. Please be sure to reference 20DOT-SCR-50985 in the subject line.
Location: Union Gap, WA
Application Method: Online: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/washington/jobs/2917624/assistant-documentation-engineer-te3?page=7&pagetype=jobOpportunitiesJobs
Base Pay: $67,560 - $90,888