Equipment Mechanic – Equipment Technician 2
Salary: $22.91 - $26.59 Hourly
Location: Clark County – Vancouver, WA
Job Type: Full Time - Non-Permanent
Department: Dept. of Transportation
Job Number: 20DOT-SWR-41396n
Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT) is the steward of an integrated, multimodal transportation system that helps to ensure people and goods move safely and efficiently throughout the state. In addition to building, maintaining, and operating the state highway system, WSDOT operates the largest ferry system in the nation, manages the world's longest floating bridge, and recently completed the world's widest tunneling project.
WSDOT is currently seeking an experienced mechanic who wants to utilize their skills to maintain a variety of motor vehicles and highway maintenance equipment at our Vancouver shop in a non-permanent role. We are looking for a mechanic to perform preventative maintenance, inspection, lubrication, and other services on all inventoried equipment including passenger vehicles, dump trucks, heavy equipment, and variety of highway maintenance equipment. This position is critical in ensuring that equipment is ready to roll to keep our highways free of hazards and open to the traveling public year-round. If you are a reliable, safety-minded mechanic, then we have an exciting opportunity for you!
What to Expect...
Among the varied range of responsibilities held within this role, you will:
- Perform preventative maintenance and minor repairs on all WSDOT equipment.
- Perform repairs to equipment and vehicles which may include windshield wipers, traction control devices, heating systems, washing, tune-ups and adjustments.
- Analyze and diagnosis electrical and mechanical problems.
- Detect and repair safety items on equipment to reduce field down time and extend service for life of equipment used by WSDOT.
- Operate a computer to maintain shop records.
- Keep shop safe, clean, and orderly.
- Abide by all safety policies and procedures.
- To be considered for this opportunity, the following are required:
- High School Diploma or GED equivalent.
- Three (3) years of experience performing maintenance and repairs assisting a journey-level mechanic. (Successful completion of a relative vocational technical training may substitute year for year experience).
- A valid Driver's License.
- Must possess a basic set of mechanic hand tools.
- The ability to report to the Vancouver Shop within 60 minutes for after-hours callouts or emergency shifts.
- Basic computer skills.
- Ability to move and transport up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to traverse uneven, steep terrain.
It is preferred that qualified candidates also have:
- A valid Commercial Driver's License (CDL), Class A, with endorsement "N."
- Experience using Fleet Equipment Management System (FEMS) and Microsoft Office Suite programs including Excel, Word, and Outlook.
- Experience reading and understanding equipment manuals, blueprints, and technical drawings.
- An Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) Certification in automotive or light/heavy equipment repair.
- Two (2) years of experience diagnosing WSDOT style fleet equipment.
- Experience operating shop tools such as welders, drill presses, grinders, presses, hoists, air tools, and jacks.
- This is a non-permanent, temporary position anticipated to last up to 9 months.
- This recruitment is being reposted to expand the candidate pool.
- Application review will begin on 11/23/20. Candidate selection may take place at any time thereafter. It is to your advantage to apply as soon as possible.
- This position is subject to the drug and alcohol testing requirements of the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA). For more information, please go to - DOT Drug & Alcohol Testing.
Work-Life Balance – We are committed to ensure that our staff experience the reward of public service, while also sustaining a routine that suits each individuals’ lifestyle.
Paid Leave – In addition to 10 paid holidays, full-time employees earn a minimum 14 paid vacation days per year!
Plan For Your Future – WSDOT offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes a variety of healthcare options. Employees also have their choice of state retirement programs, and much more. Go to State Benefits for more information.
Check out this video to learn more: Why WSDOT?
How to Apply:
Applications for this recruitment will be accepted electronically. Your relevant experience may be evaluated to determine salary. Therefore, it is very important that the “Work Experience” portion of the application be completed in as much detail as possible.
In order to be considered for this opportunity, please include the following with your online application:
Contact details for a minimum three (3) individuals who can attest to your work performance, technical skills, and job-related competencies. This information may be entered in the “References” section of the online application; does not require an additional attachment.
Please click the "APPLY" button to proceed. Note that you will be prompted to either sign in, or create an account. This step is required in order to submit an application to this opportunity.
WSDOT is an equal opportunity employer. We value the importance of creating an environment in which all employees can feel respected, included and empowered to bring unique ideas to the agency. Our diversity and inclusion efforts include embracing different cultures, backgrounds and viewpoints while fostering growth and advancement in the workplace. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons of disability, persons over 40 years of age, disabled and Vietnam era veterans, as well as people of all sexual orientations and gender identities are encouraged to apply. Persons with disabilities needing assistance in the application process, or those needing this job announcement in an alternative format may contact the listed Recruiter.
WSDOT does not use the E-Verify system. For more information, please visit www.uscis.gov.
For inquiries about this posting, you may contact the assigned Recruiter, Rachel Giese at Gieser@wsdot.wa.gov. Please be sure to reference 20DOT-SWR-41396n in the subject line.
Location: Vancouver, WA
Application Method: Online: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/washington/wsdot/jobs/2885610/equipment-mechanic-equipment-technician-2
Base Pay: $22.91 - $26.59 HR