Equipment Technician Lead
Salary: $56,856.00 - $65,928.00 Annually
Location: mThurston County – Tumwater, WA
Job Type: Full Time - Permanent
Department: Dept. of Transportation
Job Number: 20DOT-OR-30876e
Closing: 11/16/2020 11:59 PM Pacific
Equipment Technician Lead
Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT) is the steward of an integrated, multimodal transportation system that helps to ensure people and goods move safely and efficiently throughout the state. In addition to building, maintaining, and operating the state highway system, WSDOT operates the largest ferry system in the nation, manages the world's longest floating bridge, and recently completed the world's widest tunneling project.
WSDOT is currently seeking a mechanically inclined individual to fill an Equipment Technician Lead vacancy, located in Tumwater, WA. In this role, you will be responsible for leading and assisting mechanics in the Transportation Equipment Fund (TEF) equipment and repair shop in the performance of journey-level inspection, diagnosis, making major or minor mechanical repairs, and preventative maintenance (PM), within the Region’s area of responsibility. Additionally, this position leads and performs new equipment outfitting.
What to Expect:
This position will be responsible for participating in planning actions and completing training requirements to fulfill the assigned responsibilities in the event of the mobilization of the WSDOT Olympic Region Emergency Operations Center (EOC). In an event, this position will be responsible to maintain, sustain or repair equipment, communication systems, and fuel sites.
Among the varied range of responsibilities held within this role, the Equipment Technician Lead will:
- Plan, schedule, and direct operations, maintenance, and repair activities.
- Instruct employees in operation, servicing, and maintenance of motorized equipment and evaluate workload status and maintenance delays.
- Coordinate equipment compliance, preparation, repair, and disposal with fellow Equipment Technician Leads and Supervisor and ensure quality and expertise in equipment repair operations.
- Analyze vehicle maintenance reports, examine maintenance records, and monitor a motor vehicle preventive maintenance program.
- Obtain repair estimates and schedule vehicles for repair as necessary; maintain service records on all fleet vehicles, as well as establish pickup, delivery, and hauling schedules.
- Perform machinist, body and glass repair, and welding fabrication work to brackets, attachments, and specialized equipment attachments.
- Operate shop equipment such as grinders, vacuum gauge, voltage and regulator tester, wheel balancer, drill press, OBD diagnostic scanner, digital volt meters, computerized diagnostic devices and software, emission testers, and various hand tools and other equipment used in heavy equipment repair.
To be considered for this opportunity, the following are required:
- High school graduation or possession of a GED certificate.
- Three (3) years of managerial or administrative experience in operating an automotive, heavy, and/or industrial commercial vehicles or equipment fleet or three years (3) of experience as a journey-level mechanic repairing light and heavy equipment.
- Possess and maintain a valid Washington Class A Commercial - Driver License (CDL) with N endorsement to operate trucks of 26,000 GVW and above; or the ability to obtained within 6 months of hire date.
- Demonstrated effectiveness to communicate professionally with diverse audiences.
- Experience working independently to prioritize workload and handle multiple assignments.
- Experience utilizing computer software, such as MS Excel, Access , and Word.
- Experience reading and understanding equipment manuals, blueprints, and technical drawings.
- Experience working with man lifts and aerial equipment.
- Experience diagnosing electrical and mechanical problems of vehicles and equipment.
- Weekends and holidays may be required to respond to non-scheduled call-out emergencies.
- Must be able to report in service to assigned duty station within 60 minutes of an after-hours call.
- Work alternate and emergency shifts as situations dictate.
- A valid driver’s license.
It is preferred that qualified candidates also have:
- Currently possess a valid Washington Class A CDL with N endorsement without airbrake restrictions.
- Currently an Equipment Technician Lead OR at least two (2) years’ experience performing journey-level equipment repair OR At least four (4) years of experience performing preventive maintenance and minor vehicle repair.
- Experience planning, assigning, reviewing, and checking the work of others.
- An Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) Certification in automotive or light/heavy equipment repair.
- Two years’ experience diagnosing WSDOT fleet equipment.
- Experience operating shop tools such as welders, drill presses, grinders, presses, hoists, air tools, and jacks.
- Experience designing and fabricating specialty parts and/or tools.
- Experience using the Departments fleet management system (M-5).
Application review will begin on November 16, 2020. Candidate selection may take place at any time thereafter. It is to your advantage to apply as soon as possible.
This position is subject to the drug and alcohol testing requirements of the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMSCA). For more information, please go to DOT Drug & Alcohol Testing.
Work-Life Balance – We offer flexible work schedules that allow you time for your life outside of this excellent opportunity.
Paid Leave – In addition to 10 paid holidays, full-time employees earn a minimum 14 paid vacation days per year!
Plan For Your Future – WSDOT offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes a variety of healthcare options. Employees also have their choice of state retirement programs, and much more. Go to State Benefits for more information.
Check out this video to learn more: Why WSDOT?
How to Apply:
Applications for this recruitment will be accepted electronically. Your relevant experience may be evaluated to determine salary. Therefore, it is very important that the “Work Experience” portion of the application be completed in as much detail as possible.
In order to be considered for this opportunity, please include the following with your online application:
An attached Resume outlining (in reverse chronological order) your experience to date.
An attached Cover Letter that further explains your qualifications, and indicates why you believe you are a viable candidate for this role.
Contact details for a minimum three (3) individuals who can attest to your work performance, technical skills, and job-related competencies. This information can be entered in the “References” section of the online application; does not require an additional attachment.
Please click the "APPLY" button to proceed. Note that you will be prompted to either sign in, or create an account. This step is required in order to submit an application to this opportunity.
WSDOT is an equal opportunity employer. We value the importance of creating an environment in which all employees can feel respected, included and empowered to bring unique ideas to the agency. Our diversity and inclusion efforts include embracing different cultures, backgrounds and viewpoints while fostering growth and advancement in the workplace. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons of disability, persons over 40 years of age, disabled and Vietnam era veterans, as well as people of all sexual orientations and gender identities are encouraged to apply. Persons with disabilities needing assistance in the application process, or those needing this job announcement in an alternative format may contact the listed Recruiter.
WSDOT does not use the E-Verify system. For more information, please visit www.uscis.gov
For inquiries about this posting, you may contact the assigned Recruiter, Robyn Lovely at LovelyR@wsdot.wa.gov. Please be sure to reference 20DOT-OR-30876e in the subject line.
Location: Tumwater, WA
Application Method: Online: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/washington/wsdot/jobs/2905642/equipment-technician-lead?pagetype=jobOpportunitiesJobs
Base Pay: $56,856 - $65,928 YR