Parts Technician – Equipment Technician 3
$52,776.00 - $61,224.00 Annually
Thurston County – Tumwater, WA
Full Time - Permanent
Dept. of Transportation
Closing: 11/23/2020 11:59 PM Pacific
Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT) is the steward of an integrated, multimodal transportation system that helps to ensure people and goods move safely and efficiently throughout the state. In addition to building, maintaining, and operating the state highway system, WSDOT operates the largest ferry system in the nation, manages the world's longest floating bridge, and recently completed the world's widest tunneling project.
WSDOT is currently seeking a knowledgeable individual to fill an Equipment Technician vacancy located in Tumwater, WA. This position will serve as a Parts Technician, who’s main responsibility will be to maintain inventory for the regional equipment replacement parts program. In this role, you will interact with vendors and perform availability and price comparisons to make recommendations. Our top candidate will possess excellent communication and extensive knowledge of various types of heavy equipment, machinery, and tools.
What to Expect:
This position will be responsible for participating in planning actions and completing training requirements to fulfill the assigned responsibilities in the event of the mobilization of the WSDOT Olympic Region Emergency Operations Center (EOC). In an event, this position will be responsible to maintain, sustain or repair equipment, communication systems, and fuel sites.
Among the varied range of responsibilities held within this role, the Parts Technician will:
- Follow the established parts purchasing rules and contracts to procure, receive, and store inventory, and issue automotive, light truck, and heavy equipment.
- Maintain replacement parts utilizing the Fleet Equipment Management System (FEMS).
- Draft, receive, and store stock orders; procure, store, and issue bench stock items; and shop utilities.
- Prepare specifications and draft purchase requisitions for equipment.
- Analyze equipment operator and maintenance procedures and study new developments in equipment industries.
- Review invoices by comparing codes and copies to ensure accuracy.
- Process payable invoices and file the same.
- Ensure Purchasing Card (P-Card) entries are complete in their entirety prior period close.
- Respond to emergency situations in all weather conditions; 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
To be considered for this opportunity, the following are required:
- High school diploma or possession of a GED certificate.
- At least (3) years of experience preforming preventative maintenance and repairs assisting a journey-level mechanic; OR one (1) year of experience as a journey-level mechanic maintaining and repairing heavy-duty equipment (Successful completion of vocational technical training in heavy equipment and/or industrial/commercial equipment repair, including welding may substitute year for year for up to two years of experience).
- Demonstrated effectiveness to communicate professionally with diverse audiences.
- Experience working independently to prioritize workload and handle multiple assignments.
- Experience utilizing computer software, such as MS Excel, Access, and Word.
- Weekends and holidays may be required to respond to non-scheduled call-out emergencies.
- Must be able to report in service to assigned duty station within 60 minutes of an after-hours call.
- Work alternate and emergency shifts as situations dictate.
- A valid driver’s license.
It is preferred that qualified candidates also have:
- Working knowledge of automotive and industrial parts industry and supply chain logistics.
- Strong computer background and skills utilizing WSDOT computer software such as FIRS and M5.
- Contract purchasing experience.
Application review will begin on November 23, 2020. Candidate selection may take place at any time thereafter. It is to your advantage to apply as soon as possible.
- Work-Life Balance – We offer flexible work schedules that allow you time for your life outside of this excellent opportunity.
- Paid Leave – In addition to 10 paid holidays, full-time employees earn a minimum 14 paid vacation days per year!
- Plan For Your Future – WSDOT offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes a variety of healthcare options. Employees also have their choice of state retirement programs, and much more. Go to State Benefits for more information.
Check out this video to learn more: Why WSDOT?
How to Apply:
Applications for this recruitment will be accepted electronically. Your relevant experience may be evaluated to determine salary. Therefore, it is very important that the “Work Experience” portion of the application be completed in as much detail as possible.
In order to be considered for this opportunity, please include the following with your online application:
Contact details for a minimum three (3) individuals who can attest to your work performance, technical skills, and job-related competencies. This information can be entered in the “References” section of the online application; does not require an additional attachment.
Please click the "APPLY" button to proceed. Note that you will be prompted to either sign in or create an account. This step is required in order to submit an application to this opportunity.
WSDOT is an equal opportunity employer. We value the importance of creating an environment in which all employees can feel respected, included and empowered to bring unique ideas to the agency. Our diversity and inclusion efforts include embracing different cultures, backgrounds and viewpoints while fostering growth and advancement in the workplace. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons of disability, persons over 40 years of age, disabled and Vietnam era veterans, as well as people of all sexual orientations and gender identities are encouraged to apply. Persons with disabilities needing assistance in the application process, or those needing this job announcement in an alternative format may contact the listed Recruiter.
WSDOT does not use the E-Verify system. For more information, please visit www.uscis.gov
For inquiries about this posting, you may contact the assigned Recruiter, Robyn Lovely at LovelyR@wsdot.wa.gov. Please be sure to reference 20DOT-OR-30444e in the subject line.
Location: Tumwater, WA
Application Method: Online: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/washington/wsdot/jobs/2906031/parts-technician-equipment-technician-3
Base Pay: $52,776 - $61,224 YR