Employer: City of Highland Park, IL
Water Plant Mechanic
Salary: $62,364.97 - $86,499.90 Annually
Location: Water Plant; Highland Park, IL
Job Type: Full-time
Department: Public Works
Job Number: 2020-13
Department: Public Works
Description of Primary Purpose:
Responsible for the maintenance and repair of all equipment. Servicing and repairing pumps, motors, and various water treatment plant equipment in the entire plant facility as well as remote pumping facilities and reservoirs so as to maximize their reliability and service life. Maintains service records. Orders necessary parts and supplies. Ensures compliance with applicable safety standards.
This position works under the direct supervision of the Lead Water Plant Operator.
None. However, the Plant Mechanic provides guidance, instruction, mentoring and leadership for other plant personnel when performing maintenance operations as a team effort.
Starting Salary: $62,364.97
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Performs breakdown repair of Water Plant equipment including: HVAC, Boilers, compressed air system, generators, dehumidifiers, supervisory control system, sensors, meters, transmitters, actuators, UPSs, electrical switchgear and VFDs, CCTV system, access control system, pumps, motors, valves, and gates.
- Troubleshoots Water Plant equipment.
- Performs routine inspection and preventative maintenance on Water Plant equipment.
- Oversees specialty maintenance work performed by outside contractors such as boiler, elevator, generator, pump, fire alarm, instrumentation and control service technicians.
- Instructs and mentors Plant staff in mechanical disciplines.
- Plans Preventative maintenance, updates records and work orders (Infor/MP2 CMMS).
- Installs new equipment.
- Fills in for Plant Operators.
- Maintains spare parts, supplies and inventory. Assists in procuring necessary commodities.
- Participates in semi-annual Sedimentation Basin cleaning and sludge dewatering operations. (Involves confined space work and ladder climbing).
- Performs other related job duties or responsibilities as requested or required, whether or not specifically mentioned in this job description.
Education and Experience:
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
High School Diploma or GED
Experience as an industrial mechanic strongly preferred, specifically in the following areas: HVAC, Boilers, compressed air system, generators, dehumidifiers, supervisory control system, sensors, meters, transmitters, actuators, UPSs, electrical switchgear and VFDs, CCTV system, access control system, pumps, motors, valves, and gates.
Certification or License:
A valid Illinois driver's license or equivalent is required.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Proficiencies:
Ability to work in close cooperation with Plant Operators. Must be able to respond to unexpected emergencies by swiftly analyzing the situation and acting accordingly. Must be self-motivated and able to work without supervision. The Plant Mechanic must also posses the ability and desire to keep abreast of new developments in his field and to adapt as new technology is applied to our treatment process. While experience as a Water Plant Operator is not required of candidates for this position, the Plant Mechanic is required to achieve sufficient familiarity with plant operation so that he can effectively troubleshoot control, instrumentation and equipment malfunctions and occasionally fill in for Plant Operators, such as for meal breaks.
- Becomes familiar with and observes all applicable safety policies and procedures.
- Immediately reports all unsafe conditions.
- Keeps work area clean, orderly, and free of hazards.
- Obeys and adheres to all safety rules and established work procedures.
- Maintains appropriate physical fitness to perform essential job functions.
Primarily works at the Water Treatment Plant. Also works at out-lying reservoirs, monitoring stations, collects water samples throughout the City. Normally works first shift. Occasionally works alone. While performing the duties of this job, the employee occasionally works near moving mechanical parts or in outside weather conditions. The employee is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, fumes toxic or caustic chemicals and machine noise.
Bloodborne Pathogens: No exposure anticipated.
Tools and Equipment Used:
The position requires the ability to operate the following equipment: various powered tools, hand tools, test instruments, hoists, welders etc. required to maintain and repair: pumps, instrumentation, control and telemetry system, valves, motors, electrical equipment, generators, flocculators, filters, chemical feed equipment, air compressors, steam boilers, HVAC. Operates micro computers (MS Office and Infor/Datastream MP2 maintenance management system).
The water plant is not handicapped accessible. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to use hands to finger, handle, feel or operate objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and smell. The employee is frequently required to walk, sit and talk or hear. Hearing and speech must be adequate to use a telephone.
The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds. Some tasks will require ability to climb ladders, work in 'confined spaces'. The employee must be able to work with and around water treatment chemicals (no unusual sensitivities or allergies).
Vision must be sufficient to read and operate a computer. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision and the ability to adjust focus.
Agency:City of Highland Park
Address: 1707 St Johns Avenue, Highland Park, Illinois, 60035
Location: Highland Park, IL
Application Method: Online: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/highlandpark/jobs/2902249/water-plant-mechanic
Base Pay: $62,364.97 - $86,499.90 YR