Equipment Supervisor – Fleet Support Operations
Salary: $72,160.00 - $83,669.00 Annually
Location: King County - Seattle - S. Seattle, WA
Job Type: Full Time - Permanent
Department: Dept. of Transportation
Job Number: 20DOT-NWR-12386
Closing: 11/15/2020 11:59 PM Pacific
Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT) is the steward of an integrated, multimodal transportation system that helps to ensure people and goods move safely and efficiently throughout the state. In addition to building, maintaining, and operating the state highway system, WSDOT operates the largest ferry system in the nation, manages the world's longest floating bridge, and recently completed the world's widest tunneling project.
WSDOT is currently seeking a highly skilled and motivated individual to fill the role of Equipment Supervisor out of our equipment shop in Seattle, WA. This position will provide leadership and supervision to a team of technicians, a parts room staff, and a fiscal analyst, who are responsible for a variety of motor vehicles and highway maintenance equipment. The Equipment Supervisor will also manage the equipment repair parts operations and inventory, the vehicle fueling sites as well as fuel inventory. This position plays a vital role in ensuring the safety and well-being of WSDOT employees and the public. If you are a great communicator and are ready to put your supervisory skills to use, this position may be for you!
What to Expect:
This position will work directly with the Region Superintendent on all matters related to the acquisition of vehicles and equipment for the Region.
Among the varied range of responsibilities held within this role, the Equipment Supervisor will:
- Set schedules for subordinates, conduct staff meetings, convey directions, and evaluate personnel.
- Create detailed equipment specifications for all types of equipment.
- Prepare purchase orders for all Transportation Equipment Fund (TEF) equipment purchases in the NW Region.
- Evaluate, prepare and post competitive bidding opportunities to the WEBS system.
- Coordinate equipment replacement with NWR managers.
- Ensure that parts and equipment purchases comply with purchasing limits and policies.
- Schedule and coordinate meetings with equipment users.
- Attend vendor pre-build meetings and equipment demonstrations.
- Monitor purchasing card transactions and make sure they are completed properly and on-time.
- Coordinate and complete biennial physical inventories of all TEF equipment.
To be considered for this opportunity, the following are required:
- High School Diploma or GED.
- Two years of experience in the administration of an automotive, heavy, and/or industrial commercial equipment fleet.
- Proficient with MS Office suite, emphasis on Excel.
- Knowledge and understanding of accounting procedures, state contracts, parts operations, inventories, fleet management program, vehicle fueling, and emergency power generator systems.
- Knowledge and skills to prepare detailed equipment specifications and equipment requisitions to purchase vehicles and equipment.
- Knowledge and skills to attend or conduct vendor meetings negotiating options, change orders, specification intent, and to ensure specifications are met.
- Knowledge and skills to supervise a diverse work group and manage multiple different operations simultaneously.
It is preferred that qualified candidates also have:
- A valid Class “A” Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) with an "N" endorsement, no air brake or automatic transmission restrictions, and a current DOT Medical Examiner’s Certificate.
- ASE Certifications.
- Management experience involving technical operations.
- Experience with the operation and repair of all types of powered equipment.
- The salary listed for this position includes a legislative approved premium for workers in King County.
- The recruiting efforts for this position may be extended beyond the displayed closing date for as long and until a sufficient candidate pool has been established. However, the first review of applications will be conducted November 16, 2020. The Appointing Authority reserves the right to make a hiring decision at any time thereafter. It is to your benefit to submit your application as soon as possible.
- This position is subject to the drug and alcohol testing requirements of the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMSCA). For more information, please go to DOT Drug & Alcohol Testing.
- Work-Life Balance – We offer flexible work schedules that allow you time for your life outside of this excellent opportunity.
- Paid Leave – In addition to 10 paid holidays, full-time employees earn a minimum 14 paid vacation days per year!
- Plan For Your Future – WSDOT offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes a variety of healthcare options. Employees also have their choice of state retirement programs, and much more. Go to State Benefits for more information.
Check out this video to learn more: Why WSDOT?
How to Apply:
Applications for this recruitment will be accepted electronically. Your relevant experience may be evaluated to determine salary. Therefore, it is very important that the “Work Experience” portion of the application be completed in as much detail as possible.
In order to be considered for this opportunity, please include the following with your online application:
- An attached Resume outlining (in reverse chronological order) your experience to date.
- An attached Cover Letter that further explains your qualifications, and indicates why you believe you are a viable candidate for this role.
- Contact details for a minimum three (3) individuals who can attest to your work performance, technical skills, and job-related competencies. This information can be entered in the “References” section of the online application; does not require an additional attachment.
Please click the "APPLY" button to proceed. Note that you will be prompted to either sign in, or create an account. This step is required in order to submit an application to this opportunity.
WSDOT is an equal opportunity employer. We value the importance of creating an environment in which all employees can feel respected, included and empowered to bring unique ideas to the agency. Our diversity and inclusion efforts include embracing different cultures, backgrounds and viewpoints while fostering growth and advancement in the workplace. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons of disability, persons over 40 years of age, disabled and Vietnam era veterans, as well as people of all sexual orientations and gender identities are encouraged to apply. Persons with disabilities needing assistance in the application process, or those needing this job announcement in an alternative format may contact the listed Recruiter.
WSDOT does not use the E-Verify system. For more information, please visit www.uscis.gov
For inquiries about this posting, you may contact the assigned Recruiter, Robyn Lovely at LovelyR@wsdot.wa.gov. Please be sure to reference 20DOT-NWR-12386 in the subject line.
Location: S. Seattle, WA
Application Method: Online: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/washington/wsdot/jobs/2898629/equipment-supervisor-fleet-support-operations
Base Pay: $72,160 - $83,669 YR