Winter Highway Maintenance Worker | Seattle (Non-Permanent)
Salary: $55,020.00 - $66,999.00 Annually
Location: King County - Seattle - Central Area, WA
Job Type: Full Time - Non-Permanent
Department: Dept. of Transportation
Job Number: 20DOT-NWR-WinterA5
Closing: 11/8/2020 11:59 PM Pacific
Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT) is the steward of an integrated, multimodal transportation system that helps to ensure that people and goods move safely and efficiently throughout the state. In addition to building, maintaining, and operating the state highway system, WSDOT operates the largest ferry system in the nation, manages the world's longest floating bridge, and recently completed the world's widest tunneling project.
WSDOT is currently seeking to fill multiple non-permanent Highway Maintenance Worker positions for winter maintenance season. We are looking for self-motivated individuals who are mechanically inclined and enjoy working outdoors. The successful candidates will perform a variety of skilled tasks including operating snow removal equipment, repairing roadways, maintaining culverts and catch basins, removing debris, and providing traffic control for these operations. If you are dedicated to protecting the public from driving hazards and enjoy working outdoors, consider applying to this position.
What to Expect:
WSDOT maintenance personnel are expected to respond quickly to clear highways of hazards to ensure the public has safe and seamless access to travel. Among the varied range of responsibilities held within this role, the Highway Maintenance Worker will:
- Proficiently operate a variety of heavy equipment to safely and efficiently apply anti-icing compounds, and remove snow and ice from road surfaces.
- Follow traffic control plans, and perform traffic control operations, which may require standing for long periods of time through work zones, and/or vehicle accidents.
- Repair and maintain drainage facilities and structures, roadway surfaces, roadside hardware, guardrails, fences, shoulders, and right-of-way.
- Report any encroachments or other irregularities on the highway; remove roadway obstructions.
- Complete minor preventative maintenance and mechanical repairs on equipment.
- Perform grounds keeping and shop care for maintenance facilities.
- Respond to emergency call outs and/or work overtime on short notice (days, nights, holidays, and weekends).
- Provide excellent customer service when interacting with the traveling public.
- High School Diploma, GED, or equivalent.
Commercial Driver's License (CDL) Class A, without airbrake restrictions.
- Minimum of one (1) year experience performing highway maintenance, roadway construction, or related experience such as, landscaping, farming, forestry, construction, or heavy equipment operation.
- Effective communication skills with diverse groups utilizing oral, written, and electronic communication methods.
- Basic computer/electronic tablet skills with the ability to communicate, capture, and retrieve information.
- The ability to lift and transport materials and equipment up to 50 pounds.
- The ability to traverse uneven and steep winter terrain adjacent to traffic.
- The ability to operate heavy equipment in severe weather conditions, including snow and ice events.
- The ability to climb ladders and work at varying height levels.
- The ability to climb in and out of equipment, and work in confined spaces.
- Flagger Certification.
- The listed salary includes the Legislative approved King County Premium and Assignment Pay.
- These are non-permanent positions with an expected duration of 3-6 months through the winter maintenance season.
- These positions require the ability to respond to emergency call outs, work different and/or extended shifts on short notice (days, nights, and weekends) and perform standby duty on a rotational basis.
- This recruitment will be used to fill multiple positions throughout Seattle and surrounding greater areas.
- The recruiting efforts for these positions may be extended beyond the displayed closing date until all available positions have been filled. Applications will be evaluated weekly throughout this recruitment process. The hiring authority reserves the right to offer positions at any time thereafter. It is to your advantage to apply as soon as possible.
- This position is subject to the drug and alcohol testing requirements of the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMSCA). For more information, please go to DOT Drug & Alcohol Testing.
- Work-Life Balance – We are committed to ensure that our staff experience the reward of public service, while also sustaining a routine that suits each individuals’ lifestyle. As such, there are a number of flexible schedule options available to staff, including occasional telework for eligible positions.
- Paid Leave – In addition to 10 paid holidays, full-time employees earn a minimum 14 paid vacation days per year!
- Plan For Your Future – WSDOT offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes a variety of healthcare options, and free dental coverage! Employees also have their choice of state retirement programs, and much more. Go to State Benefits for more information.
- Tuition Assistance – Our employees have several options for assistance with education expenses, including tuition reimbursement programs, government discounts at participating colleges throughout the state, and eligibility for federal student loan forgiveness.
Check out this video to learn more: Why WSDOT?
How to Apply:
Applications for this recruitment will be accepted electronically. Your relevant experience may be evaluated to determine salary. Therefore, it is very important that the “Work Experience” portion of the application be completed in as much detail as possible. In order to be considered for this opportunity, please include the following with your online application:
- An attached Resume outlining (in reverse chronological order) your experience to date.
- An attached Cover Letter that further details your qualifications, and indicates why you believe you are a viable candidate for this role.
- Contact information to be included in the “References” section of the online application for a minimum three (3) individuals who can attest to your work performance, technical skills, knowledge base, and job-related competencies.
Please click the "APPLY" button to proceed. Note that you will be prompted to either sign in, or create an account. This step is required in order to submit an application to this opportunity.
WSDOT is an equal opportunity employer. We value the importance of creating an environment in which all employees can feel respected, included and empowered to bring unique ideas to the agency. Our diversity and inclusion efforts include embracing different cultures, backgrounds and viewpoints while fostering growth and advancement in the workplace. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons of disability, persons over 40 years of age, disabled and Vietnam era veterans, as well as people of all sexual orientations and gender identities are encouraged to apply.
WSDOT does not use the E-Verify system. For more information, please visit www.uscis.gov
For inquiries about this posting, you may contact the assigned Recruiter, Eric Saniatan, at SaniatE@wsdot.wa.gov. Please be sure to reference 20DOT-NWR-WinterA5 in the subject line.
Persons with disabilities needing assistance in the application process, or those needing this job announcement in an alternative format may contact the listed Recruiter.
Location: Seattle, WA
Application Method: Online: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/washington/wsdot/jobs/2869856-0/winter-highway-maintenance-worker-seattle-non-permanent
Base Pay: $55,020 - $66,999