Electrical Laboratory Testing Engineer (TE3 In-Training)
Salary: $61,224.00 - $90,888.00 Annually
Location: Thurston County – Tumwater, WA
Job Type: Full Time - Permanent
Department: Dept. of Transportation
Job Number: 20DOT-HQ-00433
Closing: 11/10/2020 11:59 PM Pacific
Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT) is the steward of an integrated, multimodal transportation system that helps to ensure people and goods move safely and efficiently throughout the state. In addition to building, maintaining, and operating the state highway system, WSDOT operates the largest ferry system in the nation, manages the world's longest floating bridge, and recently completed the world's widest tunneling project.
WSDOT is seeking an experienced engineer to fill the role of Electrical Laboratory Testing Engineer. This position will assist the Electrical Materials Engineer in managing the testing of traffic controllers, signal cabinets and electrical materials that are used on WSDOT, local agency, and select federal construction projects. This position is responsible for day to day operational decisions of the electrical laboratory and ensures that daily testing is completed on time and in accordance with agency, and other relevant policies regarding test procedures.
What to Expect
Among the varied range of responsibilities held within this role, you will:
- Coordinate, perform and review testing of traffic controllers, signaling control cabinets, uninterruptable power supplies and other testing as needed, while ensuring test results are complete, accurate and in conformance with testing standards, specifications and contract requirements.
- Prepare test reports, communicate test results and respond to questions from agency project engineer offices, region materials laboratories, federal and local agency representatives.
- Troubleshoot and run diagnostic tests, and input data into software programs to produce test reports.
- Utilize computer software applications to set up configurations and test communication capabilities between controllers and conflict monitors.
- Review contract plans, special provisions and inspect the signal cabinet and traffic controllers submitted for testing to ensure they are assembled, ready to test and meet contract requirements.
- Ensure all testing equipment is calibrated and verified in conformance with prescribed standards. Maintain inventory of parts needed for repairs of electrical equipment used in the electrical section.
This is a Transportation Engineer 3 (TE3) position. However, the hiring manager reserves the right to fill the position at a lower level (TE2 depending on qualifications), providing an opportunity for an individual to gain the required experience on the job as part of a formal “in-training” plan.
At a minimum, this opportunity requires:
- Certification as an Engineer-In-Training and one (1) year of experience as a Transportation Engineer 1, Transportation Technician 3 or equivalent, OR two (2) years of experience as a Transportation Engineer 1, Transportation Technician 3, Bridge Engineer 1 or equivalent.
- Knowledge of science and engineering principles, practices, and methods and the ability to correctly apply to complex engineering problems.
- Experience reviewing engineering plans and specifications for compliance with established standards.
- Experience operating computer programs to accomplish engineering tasks.
- Experience reading, analyzing and interpreting a variety of instruments and laboratory equipment.
- Ability to travel statewide and potentially out-of-state for meetings, conferences or training.
- Ability to work in a laboratory environment where materials testing work is performed, working near materials exceeding 325 degrees F, and working near various chemicals.
- Ability to manipulate and lift 50 pounds of material or equipment without assistance.
- Communicate with internal and external customers verbally and in writing on schedule, test results, and issues found during test.
- Requires high-level of awareness and attention to safety.
- Valid driver’s license to operate assigned vehicle.
- Certification as a Certified Electronics/Electrical Technician is required within in six months of appointment and subsequent Construction Materials Testing Certifications as assigned to the position.
- Must obtain and maintain status as Qualified Tester in WSDOT Test Methods T421, 422, 423, 424, 425, 427, 428, and 430.
- Position is required to obtain and maintain qualifications for safe operation of forklifts.
To be considered for the highest level (TE3), you must also have:
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Civil Engineering or equivalent field; OR a minimum of eighteen (18) months experience as a Transportation Engineer 2 or equivalent.
- Knowledge and completion of basic electrical and electronics courses: Ohms Law, Kirchhoff's Laws, AC and DC circuit analysis, protection, control, and measurements.
It is preferred that qualified candidates also have:
- Eighteen (18) months of experience as a Transportation Engineer 2 with working knowledge of Intelligent Transportation System or equivalent.
- Three years of experience as a qualified tester - performing testing on construction materials such as bituminous, aggregate, soils, steel or concrete.
- Knowledge of National Electrical Manufacturers Association (NEMA) TS1, NEMA TS2, Caltrans Transportation Electrical Equipment Specifications (TEES) tests procedures.
- This position has been approved for in-training. The hiring manager is looking to hire at the Transportation Engineer 3 level, however the in-training plan will allow candidates to be considered as a Transportation Engineer 2 if not qualified at the highest level.
- The closing date for this job posting may be extended to establish a sufficient candidate pool. However, a review of applications will begin on 11/11/2020.
- Work-Life Balance – We offer flexible work schedules that allow you time for your life outside of this excellent opportunity.
- Paid Leave – In addition to 10 paid holidays, full-time employees earn up to 25 paid vacation days per year!
- Tuition Assistance – Permanent employees have several options for assistance with education expenses, including tuition reimbursement programs, government discounts at participating colleges throughout the state, and eligibility for federal student loan forgiveness.
- Plan For Your Future – WSDOT offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes a variety of healthcare options. Employees also have their choice of state retirement programs, and much more. Go to State Benefits for more information.
Check out this video to learn more: Why WSDOT?
How to Apply:
Applications for this recruitment will be accepted electronically. Your relevant experience may be evaluated to determine salary. Therefore, it is very important that the “Work Experience” portion of the application be completed in as much detail as possible.
In order to be considered for this opportunity, please include the following with your online application:
- An attached Resume outlining (in reverse chronological order) your experience to date.
- An attached Cover Letter that further explains your qualifications, and indicates why you believe you are a viable candidate for this role.
- Contact details for a minimum three (3) individuals who can attest to your work performance, technical skills, and job-related competencies. This information may be entered in the “References” section of the online application; does not require an additional attachment.
Please click the "APPLY" button to proceed. Note that you will be prompted to either sign in, or create an account. This step is required in order to submit an application to this opportunity.
WSDOT is an equal opportunity employer. We value the importance of creating an environment in which all employees can feel respected, included and empowered to bring unique ideas to the agency. Our diversity and inclusion efforts include embracing different cultures, backgrounds and viewpoints while fostering growth and advancement in the workplace. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons of disability, persons over 40 years of age, disabled and Vietnam era veterans, as well as people of all sexual orientations and gender identities are encouraged to apply. Persons with disabilities needing assistance in the application process, or those needing this job announcement in an alternative format may contact the listed Recruiter.
WSDOT does not use the E-Verify system. For more information, please visit www.uscis.gov
For inquiries about this posting, you may contact the assigned Recruiter, Rachel Giese at GieseR@wsdot.wa.gov. Please be sure to reference 20DOT-HQ-00433 in the subject line.
State of Washington
Address: View Job Posting for Agency Information
View Job Posting for Location, Washington, 98504
Phone: View Posting for Agency Contact
Location: Tumwater, WA
Application Method: Online: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/washington/wsdot/jobs/2889765-0/electrical-laboratory-testing-engineer-te3-in-training
Base Pay: $61,224 - $90,888 YR