State of Washington
Dept. of Transportation
invites applications for the position of:
Heavy Equipment Mechanic (ET3) – Electric City
SALARY: $4,398.00 - $5,102.00 Monthly
$52,776.00 - $61,224.00 Annually
CLOSING DATE:10/26/20 11:59 PM
Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT) is the steward of an integrated, multimodal transportation system that helps to ensure people and goods move safely and efficiently throughout the state. In addition to building, maintaining, and operating the state highway system, WSDOT operates the largest ferry system in the nation, manages the world's longest floating bridge, and recently completed the world's widest tunneling project.
WSDOT is currently seeking an experienced mechanic who wants to utilize their skills to work on a variety of motor vehicles and highway maintenance equipment in our Electric City shop. We are looking for a mechanic to perform preventative maintenance, inspections, repairs and other services on all inventoried equipment including passenger vehicles, dump trucks, heavy equipment, and a variety of highway maintenance equipment. This position is critical in ensuring that equipment is ready to roll to keep our highways free of hazards and open to the traveling public year-round. If you are a reliable, safety-minded mechanic, then we have an exciting opportunity for you.
What to Expect:
Among the varied range of responsibilities held within this role, you will:
• Perform preventative maintenance, inspections, and repairs on all WSDOT equipment, both in the shop and in the field.
• Troubleshoot, overhaul, and repair gas, diesel, and electric engines, electrical & electronic systems, brakes, hydraulic systems, suspensions, steering and fuel systems.
• Maintain, repair, and troubleshoot, all types of gear boxes such as manual, computer controlled and automated or automatic transmissions, differentials, angle boxes, reduction boxes, transfer cases, torque converters, hydrostatically driven, etc.
• Repair miscellaneous & various parts and components used in light and heavy equipment such as body parts, front end, tires & wheels including tire pressure sensor systems, steering, cooling systems, air conditioning, heating, mobile ventilation, power train components.
• Detect and repair safety items on equipment to reduce field down time and extend service life of equipment used by WSDOT.
• Safely operate shop equipment such as welders, torches, grinders, electronic diagnostic tools, drill press, hydraulic press, wheel pullers, hoists, vehicle lifts, lathes, jacks, air tools, hand tools, various power tools, diagnostic scan tools, emission testers, and other various diagnostic and repair tools and equipment.
• Fabricate, weld, and install additional equipment to vehicles.
• Maneuver in, on, around and under various pieces of equipment for the purpose of inspecting, servicing, diagnostic testing, and repairing in an efficient manner.
• Operate a computer to maintain shop records.
• Keep shop safe, clean, and orderly.
• Safely operate and transport equipment as needed for repair or testing purposes on site and to/from region shops and repair facilities.
• Abide by all safety policies and procedures.
To be considered for this opportunity, the following are required:
• At least (3) years' experience preforming preventative maintenance and repairs assisting a journey-level mechanic; OR one (1) year of experience as a journey-level mechanic maintaining and repairing heavy-duty equipment.
• High School Diploma or GED equivalent.
• Class A CDL with N (cargo/tanker) endorsement without airbrakes restrictions and the ability to operate all motor vehicles designated under Class A CDL specifications (or the ability to obtain one within six months of appointment through the WSDOT internal process).
• Basic computer skills with the ability to operate Microsoft Office Suite and the maintain equipment records.
• Ability to communicate verbally and in the written form.
• Experience reading and understanding equipment manuals, blueprints, and technical drawings.
• Ability to lift and transport up to 50 pounds.
• Experience operating computerized diagnostic testing equipment, welders, drill presses, hoists, air tools, and jacks.
It is preferred that qualified candidates also have:
• Successful completion of vocational technical training in heavy equipment, light vehicles and/or industrial/commercial equipment repair, including welding/fabrication.
• ASE certifications in Automotive or Heavy Truck or equipment.
• DOT brake certifications
• A/C certification.
• The closing date for this job posting may be extended to establish a sufficient candidate pool. However, a review of applications will begin on 10/26/2020.
• This position is subject to the drug and alcohol testing requirements of the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMSCA). For more information, please go to DOT Drug & Alcohol Testing.
• Work-Life Balance – We are committed to ensure that our staff experience the reward of public service, while also sustaining a routine that suits each individuals’ lifestyle.
• Paid Leave – In addition to 10 paid holidays, full-time employees earn a minimum 14 paid vacation days per year!
• Tuition Assistance – Permanent employees have several options for assistance with education expenses, including tuition reimbursement programs, government discounts at participating colleges throughout the state, and eligibility for federal student loan forgiveness.
• Plan For Your Future – WSDOT offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes a variety of healthcare options. Employees also have their choice of state retirement programs, and much more. Go to State Benefits for more information.
Check out this video to learn more: Why WSDOT?
How to Apply:
Applications for this recruitment will be accepted electronically. Your relevant experience may be evaluated to determine salary. Therefore, it is very important that the “Work Experience” portion of the application be completed in as much detail as possible.
In order to be considered for this opportunity, please include the following with your online application:
• An attached Resume outlining your experience to date.
• An attached Cover Letter that further explains your qualifications, and indicates why you believe you are a viable candidate for this role.
• Contact details for a minimum three (3) individuals who can attest to your work performance, technical skills, and job-related competencies. This information may be entered in the “References” section of the online application; does not require an additional attachment.
Please click the "APPLY" button to proceed. Note that you will be prompted to either sign in, or create an account. This step is required in order to submit an application to this opportunity.
WSDOT is an equal opportunity employer. We value the importance of creating an environment in which all employees can feel respected, included and empowered to bring unique ideas to the agency. Our diversity and inclusion efforts include embracing different cultures, backgrounds and viewpoints while fostering growth and advancement in the workplace. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons of disability, persons over 40 years of age, disabled and Vietnam era veterans, as well as people of all sexual orientations and gender identities are encouraged to apply. Persons with disabilities needing assistance in the application process, or those needing this job announcement in an alternative format may contact the listed Recruiter.
WSDOT does not use the E-Verify system. For more information, please visit www.uscis.gov
For inquiries about this posting, you may contact the assigned Recruiter, Rachel Giese at Gieser@wsdot.wa.gov. Please be sure to reference 20DOT-NCR-20269 in the subject line.
Please refer to the link below to see required Supplemental Information!
Location: Electric City, WA
Application Method: Online: https://agency.governmentjobs.com/washington/job_bulletin.cfm?jobID=2883321&sharedWindow=0
Base Pay: $4,398 - $5,102 MO