State of Washington
Dept. of Transportation
invites applications for the position of:
Highway Maintenance Worker 3 - Hyak
SALARY: $4,509.00 - $5,494.00 Monthly
$54,108.00 - $65,928.00 Annually
CLOSING DATE:10/21/20 11:59 PM
Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT) is the steward of an integrated, multimodal transportation system that helps to ensure people and goods move safely and efficiently throughout the state. In addition to building, maintaining, and operating the state highway system, WSDOT operates the largest ferry system in the nation, manages the world's longest floating bridge, and recently completed the world's widest tunneling project.
WSDOT is currently seeking two motivated and hard-working individuals to join the Maintenance Crew in Hyak, WA. The Highway Maintenance Worker 3 will need to be able to hit the ground running and lead an experienced team of Maintenance professionals responsible for performing a variety of highway, roadside, infrastructure, and right-of-way maintenance work along the I-90 corridor and surrounding areas, including Snoqualmie Pass. This experienced technician will lead by example and display a strong ability to work under pressure in demanding conditions and maintain a safe and clean work environment. In this role, you must be dedicated to safety while coordinating and preforming daily work activities which include heavy equipment operations, providing roadway maintenance for sub-sections of highways, and performing snow and ice removal functions.
What to Expect:
Among the varied range of responsibilities held within this role, you will:
• Supervise winter crews, plan, organize and schedule these crews to perform snow and ice removal; assist with Avalanche closures and the removal of those Avalanche.
• Serve as the crew lead of a maintenance team performing such work as inspecting, cleaning, and maintaining culverts, catch basins, and ditches; asphalt repairs of roadways; repairing guardrail and roadway surfaces; blading shoulders and removing debris; plowing snow and sanding/de-icing roads; and cutting brush.
• Prioritize, plan, schedule, and budget maintenance activities.
• Patrol and inspect assigned highway and right of ways, documenting deficiencies of the roadway.
• Prioritize and schedule personnel and equipment.
• Document daily work and complete status reports.
• Conduct snow and ice operations.
• Complete third party damage reports and prepare cost estimates.
• Train others in equipment usage, safety, highway maintenance, and public relations.
• Safely provide proper traffic control supervision for all work operations and emergency road closures.
• Utilize personal computer and tablet to maintain accurate records and reports for personnel, equipment, inventory, and materials.
• Be subject to contingency scheduling, overtime on short notice, and emergency call-outs, and stand-by.
• Steward safety programs by knowing and enforcing the established WSDOT/WAC safety policies and procedures; conduct safety meetings.
To be considered for this opportunity, the following are required:
• At least one (1) year of lead or supervisory experience in a highway maintenance or roadway construction role.
• Commercial Driver License Class A (without restrictions) with endorsement N and without air brakes restriction.
• A valid medical certificate.
• Knowledge of road and weather conditions, and how to research conditions and make decisions that keep the public safe.
• A valid Traffic Control Flagger Card or the ability to obtain within 6 months.
• First Aid Certification (or ability to obtain within six (6) months of appointment).
• Skills to communicate effectively with diverse groups utilizing oral, written, and electronic communication methods.
• Demonstrate experience leading and/or supervising crews, providing clear direction, and making good decisions in stressful conditions.
• Computer skills to receive and send email, use the Internet, and enter information into computer programs, forms and mobile technology devices.
• Ability to work nights, weekends, holidays, and perform emergency call-outs/stand-by.
• The ability to lift and transport materials and equipment up to 50 pounds.
• The ability to traverse uneven and steep winter terrain adjacent to traffic.
• The ability to operate heavy equipment in severe weather conditions, including snow and ice events.
• The ability to climb ladders and work at varying height levels.
• The ability to climb in and out of equipment, and work in confined spaces.
Preferred qualification include:
• High School diploma or GED equivalent.
• Two (2) years of experience Highway Maintenance Worker 2 or equivalent.
• Ability to supervise others operating snow and ice removal equipment in adverse weather conditions during day and night time hours and to assist with the management of the snow and ice program.
• We are currently looking to fill 2 permanent positions, both reporting to the Hyak Maintenance Facility.
• These positions are subject to the drug and alcohol testing requirements of the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA). For more information, please go to DOT Drug & Alcohol Testing.
• Work-Life Balance – We are committed to ensure that our staff experience the reward of public service, while also sustaining a routine that suits each individuals' lifestyle.
• Paid Leave – In addition to 10 paid holidays, full-time employees earn up to 25 paid vacation days per year!
• Tuition Assistance – Permanent employees have several options for assistance with education expenses, including tuition reimbursement programs, government discounts at participating colleges throughout the state, and eligibility for federal student loan forgiveness.
• Plan For Your Future – WSDOT offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes a variety of healthcare options. Employees also have their choice of state retirement programs, and much more. Go to State Benefits for more information.
Check out this video to learn more: Why WSDOT?
How to Apply:
Applications for this recruitment will be accepted electronically. Your relevant experience may be evaluated to determine salary. Therefore, it is very important that the “Work Experience” portion of the application be completed in as much detail as possible.
In order to be considered for this opportunity, please:
• An attached Resume outlining your experience to date.
• An attached Cover Letter that further explains your qualifications, and indicates why you believe you are a viable candidate for this role.
• Contact details for a minimum three (3) individuals who can attest to your work performance, technical skills, and job-related competencies. This information may be entered in the “References” section of the online application; does not require an additional attachment.
Please click the "APPLY" button to proceed. Note that you will be prompted to either sign in, or create an account. This step is required in order to submit an application to this opportunity.
WSDOT is an equal opportunity employer. We value the importance of creating an environment in which all employees can feel respected, included and empowered to bring unique ideas to the agency. Our diversity and inclusion efforts include embracing different cultures, backgrounds and viewpoints while fostering growth and advancement in the workplace. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons of disability, persons over 40 years of age, disabled and Vietnam era veterans, as well as people of all sexual orientations and gender identities are encouraged to apply. Persons with disabilities needing assistance in the application process, or those needing this job announcement in an alternative format may contact the listed Recruiter.
WSDOT does not use the E-Verify system. For more information, please visit www.uscis.gov.
For inquiries about this posting, you may contact the assigned Recruiter, Rachel Giese, at email@example.com. Please be sure to reference 20DOT-SCR-51197m in the subject line.
Required Supplemental Questions listed in the link below.
Location: Kittitas County, WA
Application Method: Online: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/washington/jobs/2883257/highway-maintenance-worker-3-hyak?pagetype=jobOpportunitiesJobs
Base Pay: $54,108 - $65,928 YR